Metal fans more prone to mental illness

Becket

Metal fans more prone to mental illness

by Elizabeth Bromstein

What your musical preferences say about you

We are shocked, shocked I tell you, at the Gigwise report that metal fans are at risk for mental illness and depression. The story is that a study published in this week's Australasian Psychiatry journal claims "teenagers who listen to heavy metal are big on unprotected sex, self-harm and shoplifting."

The brief note does not differentiate between nu metal, old school, thrash metal, death metal, black metal and glam metal and we are left to wonder whether Judas Priest fans are equally as likely to shoplift as Megadeth fans, or if Evanescence fans are as depressed as Hatebreed fans. Questions questions. I need more information. A quest to access the actual journal article online leads to nothing but frustration.

Meanwhile fans of pop have to deal with "curiosity about their sexuality and worries about peer-acceptance," which is interesting because you'd think all teens would be curious about their sexuality but obviously metal fans are too busy being self destructive to dwell on it much while dance music fans are too busy doing drugs. Yes, "those who listen to dance indulge in more drug use, no matter what their socio-economic background is." Can you believe it!?

"Jazz fans struggle with social acceptance, usually settling down as misfits and 'loners.' Rap fans are also keen on theft, violence and anger, according to the study." I know! Me neither!

Wait...back up...teenage jazz fans? Really? OK. (Maybe they mean "jazz FAN" singular. And that's why he's a loner. Or perhaps teenagers are cooler than I thought)

Nothing, says Gigwise, was mentioned about punk or alternative - where they would likely find common propensities for sulking and hair products.

We're wondering about the chicken or egg question. You know, do metal fans shoplift because they listen to metal or do they listen to metal because they shoplift? I can't think of any metal tunes with references to five finger discounts – unlike references to losing your marbles like Ozzy Osbourne going off the rails on a crazy train - but that doesn't mean there aren't any out there.

Anyway, not sure what they're telling us with this one. Take away your kid's Pantera albums? Or if you happen to find 'Cowboys From Hell' lying around the house, hide the knives?

:rofl-lol:

They should come check us out on here. :lol:

http://music.sympatico.msn.ca/Metal+fans+m...&date=False

Edited by Becket

load of fuckin bullshit i say but then i never listen to metal. unless the one Pantera album that Fuck Fear on here urged me to buy counts. they were pretty cool actually, pretty neat, pretty okay :)

I do agree. I listen to some metal, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, and I checked out some Pantera on Fuck Fears recomendation and like them, but I'm pretty sane, at least I think I am.

My wife occasionaly tells me otherwise. :lol:

Edited by Becket

load of fuckin bullshit i say but then i never listen to metal. unless the one Pantera album that Fuck Fear on here urged me to buy counts. they were pretty cool actually, pretty neat, pretty okay :)

I do agree. I listen to some metal, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, and I checked out some Pantera on Fuck Fears recomendation and like them, but I'm pretty sane, at least I think I am.

My wife occasionaly tells me otherwise. :lol:

ahhhh the wife, where would we be without them?

(drinking probably :lol:)

That made me laugh a lot.

I'm upset they didn't find out what people who listen to punk and alt. are more likely to do.

I think its spend 3 hours sat in the bathroom attempting to bleach they're hair with actually bleach and then colour it with four colouring. Too hardcore for the hairdressers? NOT ANYMORE! :lol:

xDSGx

I listen to metal, and yet I am no theif. I don't harm myself either. I'm sure that in general, some may have these problems, but I can't see it being the majority. That would be like saying rap fans are more prone to getting into drive by's, selling drugs, and grabbing their crotch. :rolleyes:

Sane people are fucking boring anyway.

:shocked: I completly agree here ....not like 100% more like i agree with you to the infinit .

In all my time in this forum i didnt read a post that i liked so much , because that simple sentence says a big belief of mine.

Mnay times what is considered "normal" is nothing more than a easy way to be like the others..... a little touch of difference isnt a bad thing ....is actually the "juice" that can make people soooo "tasty" ..meaning interesting.

Lol sorry for going a bit deep here .... just your comment made me think kevdo :)

they say that people with high IQ's, like on the genius level are more prone to having mental illeness, so maybe they're syaing if you listen to metal you're a fuckin genius.. lol

why does it say metal listeners are more prone to mental illness but dont list any besides despression? unprotected sex is not a mental illness..lol

shit, in today's world you'd have to be fuckin nut's to fuck without a condom