Southern rock

GivenToFly

I hadn't checked out much of the genre until about a month ago. There are several Skynyrd songs I've always liked and Creedence and Black Crowes are two of my favorite bands (I don't know if you can call them southern rock though).

But recently I've discovered an iTunes radio station called All Southern Rock that plays some amazing music. I don't really notice names of songs and artists but just the music as a whole is pretty amazing. (although all outro solos sound like Freebird :lol: ) Well, there is one song though, Blackfoot's

, which I'm in love with :wub: , but there are lots of them.

Where I live (FAR from Southern US) the genre is pretty much unknown so I couldn't have gotten onto it any other way, so I guess one for online stations.

So, does anyone else southern rock?

I really like some southern rock bands but the genre gets a lot of crap for being "racist" or so, and sure there's bands that have been racist but to dismiss an entire genre because of that is ridiculous... Classic Rock Magazine did a great issue about Southern Rock a while ago.

My favourite southern rock band at the moment is Drive-By Truckers (they're not completely southern rock but they do have a lot of inspirations from southern rock). Southern Rock Opera from 2001 is imo their best album (and one of the best of the 00s), it's a concept album about Lynyrd Skynyrd and southern rock in general. Really recommended. All their other albums that I've heard are great too, especially The Dirty South.

Southern Rock Opera from 2001 is imo their best album (and one of the best of the 00s), it's a concept album about Lynyrd Skynyrd and southern rock in general. Really recommended. All their other albums that I've heard are great too, especially The Dirty South.

Sounds interesting. How are their lyrics? I'd hate to take your advice and check out that album, and discover some cheesy final track about the plane crash.

I love southern rock as much as I love almost any type of music. :) It has its up- and downsides like all other genres. My favourites are The Allman Brothers Band, Alabama Thunderpussy, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Black Crowes and Molly Hatchet.

Southern Rock Opera from 2001 is imo their best album (and one of the best of the 00s), it's a concept album about Lynyrd Skynyrd and southern rock in general. Really recommended. All their other albums that I've heard are great too, especially The Dirty South.

Sounds interesting. How are their lyrics? I'd hate to take your advice and check out that album, and discover some cheesy final track about the plane crash.

I love southern rock as much as I love almost any type of music. :) It has its up- and downsides like all other genres. My favourites are The Allman Brothers Band, Alabama Thunderpussy, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Black Crowes and Molly Hatchet.

Personally I think the lyrics are great (and I'm not alone).

Here's the lyrics to one of the songs from the album, Ronnie And Neil (about Ronnie Van Zant and Neil Young), not the best song on the album lyrically but it's a great tune:

Church blew up in Birmingham

Four little black girls killed for no goddamn good reason

All this hate and violence can't come to no good end

A stain on the good name.

A whole lot of good people dragged threw the blood and glass

Blood stains on their good names and all of us take the blame

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Wilson Pickett comes to town

To record that sweet soul music, to get that Muscle Shoals sound

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Aretha Franklin comes to town

And out in California, a rock star from Canada writes a couple of great songs about the

Bad shit that went down

"Southern Man" and "Alabama" certainly told some truth

But there were a lot of good folks down here and Neil Young wasn't around

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Lynyrd Skynyrd came to town

To record with Jimmy Johnson at Muscle Shoals Sound

And they met some real good people, not racist pieces of shit

And they wrote a song about it and that song became a hit

Ronnie and Neil Ronnie and Neil

Rock stars today ain't half as real

Speaking there minds on how they feel

Let them guitars blast for Ronnie and Neil

Now Ronnie and Neil became good friends their feud was just in song

Skynyrd was a bunch of Neil Young fans and Neil he loved that song

So He wrote "Powderfinger" for Skynyrd to record

But Ronnie ended up singing "Sweet Home Alabama" to the lord

And Neil helped carry Ronnie in his casket to the ground

And to my way of thinking, us southern men need both of them around

Speaking their minds on how they feel

Here's all the lyrics on the album so you can decide for yourself...but most of the lyrics, while great just as text is much better in the context of the music :)

Edited by Soulseller

Personally I think the lyrics are great (and I'm not alone).

Here's the lyrics to one of the songs from the album, Ronnie And Neil (about Ronnie Van Zant and Neil Young), not the best song on the album lyrically but it's a great tune:

Church blew up in Birmingham

Four little black girls killed for no goddamn good reason

All this hate and violence can't come to no good end

A stain on the good name.

A whole lot of good people dragged threw the blood and glass

Blood stains on their good names and all of us take the blame

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Wilson Pickett comes to town

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Aretha Franklin comes to town

And out in California, a rock star from Canada writes a couple of great songs about the

Bad shit that went down

"Southern Man" and "Alabama" certainly told some truth

But there were a lot of good folks down here and Neil Young wasn't around

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Lynyrd Skynyrd came to town

To record with Jimmy Johnson at Muscle Shoals Sound

And they met some real good people, not racist pieces of shit

And they wrote a song about it and that song became a hit

Speaking there minds on how they feel

Now Ronnie and Neil became good friends their feud was just in song

Skynyrd was a bunch of Neil Young fans and Neil he loved that song

So He wrote "Powderfinger" for Skynyrd to record

But Ronnie ended up singing "Sweet Home Alabama" to the lord

And Neil helped carry Ronnie in his casket to the ground

And to my way of thinking, us southern men need both of them around

Speaking their minds on how they feel

Here's all the lyrics on the album so you can decide for yourself...but most of the lyrics, while great just as text is much better in the context of the music :)

The Drive By Truckers don't know what the fuck they are talking 'bout.

The lyrics aren't exactly the work of a genius, but I'll check the album out to see how they are in context of the music.

No hardly, it's not like it's Bob Dylan... They've gotten a lots of critical praise from lots of different publications; Uncut, Pitchfork, allmusic, Classic Rock Magazine etc and most of them comment positively on the lyrics, but they really should be read/heard in the context of the music (and I didn't really pick a great lyric to show :P )

allmusic review of Southern Rock Opera

pitchfork review of The Dirty South

The Drive By Truckers don't know what the fuck they are talking 'bout.

What part are you referring to?

I hadn't checked out much of the genre until about a month ago. There are several Skynyrd songs I've always liked and Creedence and Black Crowes are two of my favorite bands (I don't know if you can call them southern rock though).

But recently I've discovered an iTunes radio station called All Southern Rock that plays some amazing music. I don't really notice names of songs and artists but just the music as a whole is pretty amazing. (although all outro solos sound like Freebird :lol: ) Well, there is one song though, Blackfoot's

, which I'm in love with :wub: , but there are lots of them.

Where I live (FAR from Southern US) the genre is pretty much unknown so I couldn't have gotten onto it any other way, so I guess one for online stations.

So, does anyone else southern rock?

I hung out with Blackfoot for a few days. Pretty cool guys, I guess. Kinda just normal middle-aged men now lol. I filmed a couple of their gigs for them. Their songs aren't all that great. They've got like two songs lol. Train Train is the other one. Other songs they have are OK, but those are the only real decent ones. I still have their business card in my wallet.

Whiskeytown are/were great. They sound like the replacements playing country music.

EDIT: Heres the review from rolling stone for the new Ryan Adams & The Cardinals Album, if you like southern rock you should love his stuff (he was the singer in whiskeytown).

Heres the review

http://preorder.cardinology.com/rollingstone.jpg

Edited by Midnight Rambler

Whiskeytown are/were great. They sound like the replacements playing country music.

EDIT: Heres the review from rolling stone for the new Ryan Adams & The Cardinals Album, if you like southern rock you should love his stuff (he was the singer in whiskeytown).

Heres the review

I really like Ryan Adams' Heartbreaker, really good album. Besides that I've only heard Easy Tiger (which was decent) and Rock N Roll (which was pretty bad), so what albums should I look into next? Both Ryan solo and Whiskeytown...

Heres the review

I really like Ryan Adams' Heartbreaker, really good album. Besides that I've only heard Easy Tiger (which was decent) and Rock N Roll (which was pretty bad), so what albums should I look into next? Both Ryan solo and Whiskeytown...

Yeah rock n roll sux, its a joke album though recorded in like 4 days coz the record company rejected love is hell. Id say get Gold, its his next album after heartbreaker, its got the same sound/production but more of a band vibe, theres not a bad song on it. As far as whiskeytown goes, strangers almanacs a good place to start.

Edited by Midnight Rambler

Heres the review

Yeah rock n roll sux, its a joke album though recorded in like 4 days coz the record company rejected love is hell. Id say get Gold, its his next album after heartbreaker, its got the same sound/production but more of a band vibe, theres not a bad song on it. As far as whiskeytown goes, strangers almanacs a good place to start.

Yeah Rock N Roll is pretty obviously not a particularly serious record :P I'll check out the albums you mentioned later, thanks :)