ER Helps You Through the 'Chinese Democracy' Wait...

Estranged Reality

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, of course! I meant Iggy's solo work. ;)

The only solo album I haven't heard yet that I always am told is pretty good is Zombie Birdhouse. But yeah, I agree that the rest of his solo albums aren't as great as these two. New Values is pretty good, and Brick By Brick is good.

Have you heard Iggy's album with James Williamson? It's called Kill City and was recorded in '75 and released in '77. I actually prefer it to Lust For Life which I'm not particularly fond of. Kill City is just great Stonesy rock and I think some of the tracks were performed by The Stooges on their last tour...

does anyone want to recommend some good indie? anything thats actually good, not just popular. i don't know any, and i want to check some out and see if i like any. a couple songs on the new scott weiland album have this lofty indie feel and i want to see if i like other stuff. yeah the weiland album leaked.

does anyone want to recommend some good indie? anything thats actually good, not just popular. i don't know any, and i want to check some out and see if i like any. a couple songs on the new scott weiland album have this lofty indie feel and i want to see if i like other stuff. yeah the weiland album leaked.

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes. You'll love it if you're into beautiful vocal harmonies âla The Beach Boys and Mamas & the Papas.

The Fleet Foxes album Lithium recommended is really good but it's not for everyone... If you'd post some bands that you like it might be easier to recommend something that you actually might enjoy :)

Edited by Soulseller

The Fleet Foxes album Lithium recommended is really good but it's not for everyone... If you'd post some bands that you like it might be easier to recommend something that you actually might enjoy :)

i like radiohead, classic rock like floyd, doors, aerosmith, zeppelin, stones. tom petty, neil young, him, nirvana, gnr, keane, gorillaz, janes addiction, ccrs. a lot of other stuff, but these are jut some favorites.

i'll check out that fleet foxes album.

does anyone here like jeff buckley? i'm debating buying grace. i've liked some songs on youtube and the samples on itunes sound good.

Perhaps Band of Horses' Cease to Begin might be up your alley?

And you should definitely invest your money in Grace. One of the finest albums of the '90s.

alright i'll check both of those bands out. yeah, grace is only $8 on the itunes store, not a big chunk of change. sounds like a great album from the samples.

You should check out:

The Hold Steady - Boys And Girls In America: classic rock guitars, storytelling lyrics, a mix of Thin Lizzy, Springsteen, The Replacements and a bunch of other bands :P

Okkervil River - The Stage Names is probably the best place to start, musically they're a mix of folk rock/country rock/pop-rock/rock/etc with great lyrics. Black Sheep Boy is better but not as accessible.

My Morning Jacket - Okonokos: they sound a bit like Band Of Horses but far better imo, a bit of Neil Young influence too. Okonokos is a live album and have a more rocking sound than their studio albums...

...and definitely The Replacements - just because they're awesome. Start with Let It Be.

edit: You could easily pick up The Stand Ins by Okkervil River instead of The Stage Names, they sound pretty much the same and The Stand Ins has a better flow imo...

Edited by Soulseller

You should check out:

The Hold Steady - Boys And Girls In America: classic rock guitars, storytelling lyrics, a mix of Thin Lizzy, Springsteen, The Replacements and a bunch of other bands :P

Okkervil River - The Stage Names is probably the best place to start, musically they're a mix of folk rock/country rock/pop-rock/rock/etc with great lyrics. Black Sheep Boy is better but not as accessible.

My Morning Jacket - Okonokos: they sound a bit like Band Of Horses but far better imo, a bit of Neil Young influence too. Okonokos is a live album and have a more rocking sound than their studio albums...

...and definitely The Replacements - just because they're awesome. Start with Let It Be.

Pretty good list there. I'll also add Arcade Fire - Neon Bible.

You should check out:

edit: You could easily pick up The Stand Ins by Okkervil River instead of The Stage Names, they sound pretty much the same and The Stand Ins has a better flow imo...

Great suggestions, there. I'd say The Hold Steady would be a great place to start for a rock fan, because they definitely have that Springsteen-style sound to them.

You should check out:

Great suggestions, there. I'd say The Hold Steady would be a great place to start for a rock fan, because they definitely have that Springsteen-style sound to them.

And they have enough classic rock guitars to appeal to the rockers on this forum... The only problem is that people might find Craig Finn's (the singer) voice annoying, I did at first and it took me a couple of listens to get past that.

Edited by Soulseller

You should check out:

the hold steady have actually been my least favorite of those bands so far. fleet foxes and band of horses sound promising so far though.

Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes. You'll love it if you're into beautiful vocal harmonies âla The Beach Boys and Mamas & the Papas.

I saw Fleet Foxes two days ago. They were great :D A friend had a spare ticket, so I bought it off him.

I need to check their music out though, because I knew pretty much nothing about them before I went, apart from the fact they're from Seattle and one of the record labels they're signed up to is Sub Pop.

Edited by LCG

What do you think about "Is There a Ghost"? That song's such a killer, it should have been a single.

didn't hear that one. i've only been listening on youtube & last.fm right now. i don't have any bit torrent or anything like that on this computer, so i want to make sure i like it before i buy it.

Ok, cool. ;)

I saw Fleet Foxes two days ago. They were great :D A friend had a spare ticket, so I bought it off him.

I need to check their music out though, because I knew pretty much nothing about them before I went, apart from the fact they're from Seattle and one of the record labels they're signed up to is Sub Pop.

Aw, you lucky bastard! What songs did they play?

Edited by Lithium

Wow, I didn't know that. I'll see if I can find it on Youtube. Was there a B-side on it?

I'm not sure to be honest, it's listed as a digital single on Wikipedia so probably not. I only remember it being a single because my friend who liked their first album a lot said he wasn't a fan of the new single, which turned out to be that song. I really liked it, though.