Rap as a Genre

kevin

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've always held the opinion that illmatic is one of the rap albums that everyone should enjoy. like, even if you don't like rap, you'll like that album.

same thing goes for kind of blue with jazz.

Ha, perfect comparison with Kind of Blue. I totally agree. Illmatic was one of the albums that turned me onto hip-hop. It sounds totally, totally different from typical "rap" -- especially the stuff out there right now. Classic album.

rap is pretty good. Im new to the genre so give me some recomendations. I have Jay-Z's first and will probably get Eminems Marshall mathers LP. Nas- Illmatic is also on my list.

What else you got for me?

My favourite's still Nas' Illmatic. Get that album if you really want something fun and catchy but with some depth to it.

Stacks probably has a better grasp on good rap nowadays, but there are mandatory oldies like NWA, Run-DMC, Public Enemy, Notorious B.I.G., 2Pac, Dre, Ice Cube, the list goes on.

BTW, I love this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr0XEcUmD4s

Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere

While on the subject of Gnarls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8R42ZU10Ko

One of the most moving performances I've heard... the original song is great as well but they really knocked it out of the ballpark here.

Might like this if you're into Jay-Z and enjoy rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXLp2z6xL4

Oh come on, the original is way better. I like Gnarls Barkley and i think that cover was really good (I've seen it before now), but Radiohead's original & live performances are definitely better.

I'm not versed in modern rap so I can't really comment. The late 80's and 90's rap was like rock in the 60's. N.W.A., Dr Dre, Eazy E, Geto Boys, Scarface, EPMD, Cypress Hill, Snoop, Wu Tang Clan, Method Man, Public Enemy, B.I.G., Ice-T, Eminem, Outkast...

I actually prefer all that stuff to 90's rock. The music just spoke to me for whatever reason. Rap has this cinematic quality about it. Rap albums are movies that you can listen.

My personal top 5 favorite rap albums

hooray for tolerance!z4life-N.W.A.

Original Gangster-Ice T

All Eyez on Me-2Pac

Str8 Outta Compton-N.W.A.

Southernplayalistic-Outkast

Edited by Randy Lahey

rap is pretty good. Im new to the genre so give me some recomendations. I have Jay-Z's first and will probably get Eminems Marshall mathers LP. Nas- Illmatic is also on my list.

What else you got for me?

My favourite's still Nas' Illmatic. Get that album if you really want something fun and catchy but with some depth to it.

Stacks probably has a better grasp on good rap nowadays, but there are mandatory oldies like NWA, Run-DMC, Public Enemy, Notorious B.I.G., 2Pac, Dre, Ice Cube, the list goes on.

BTW, I love this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr0XEcUmD4s

Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere

While on the subject of Gnarls:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8R42ZU10Ko

One of the most moving performances I've heard... the original song is great as well but they really knocked it out of the ballpark here.

Might like this if you're into Jay-Z and enjoy rock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbXLp2z6xL4

Oh come on, the original is way better. I like Gnarls Barkley and i think that cover was really good (I've seen it before now), but Radiohead's original & live performances are definitely better.

Where did I say it was better?

rap: as a genre?

i think estranged reality got it right with it being the most dangerous genre to go into...

it's one of the most easily accessible to go into - I mean look at it from the constructive point of view of the artist:

write lyrics + make beats

simplicity,

there's no memorizing of scales,

no keys,

no singing lessons,

none of the bullshit that may hold an artist at bay

it's just raw spitting easy couplet poetry over a beat

and that beat can be spiced up with samples found in other art...so...

with that in mind, as a constructive definition of what "rap" "is,"

the dangerous part is constructing rap that's individualistic enough to be recognized,

and the harder and more dangerous part is redefining the art to a new standard

as to be "creative."

when i listen to rap it's hard for me to find something that goes beyond

a one dimensional banality that oftentimes plagues genres - BUT, that being said -

I find that when rap IS good it's great! good rap to me requires a mixture of:

substance and accessibility

a few of my favorites are de la soul, a tribe called quest, and nas

Outkast has been the most interesting and progressive act in the mainstream over the past 14 years, imo.

they have.

def looking forward to their new shit.

rap: as a genre?

i think estranged reality got it right with it being the most dangerous genre to go into...

it's one of the most easily accessible to go into - I mean look at it from the constructive point of view of the artist:

write lyrics + make beats

simplicity,

there's no memorizing of scales,

no keys,

no singing lessons,

none of the bullshit that may hold an artist at bay

it's just raw spitting easy couplet poetry over a beat

and that beat can be spiced up with samples found in other art...so...

with that in mind, as a constructive definition of what "rap" "is,"

the dangerous part is constructing rap that's individualistic enough to be recognized,

and the harder and more dangerous part is redefining the art to a new standard

as to be "creative."

when i listen to rap it's hard for me to find something that goes beyond

a one dimensional banality that oftentimes plagues genres - BUT, that being said -

I find that when rap IS good it's great! good rap to me requires a mixture of:

substance and accessibility

a few of my favorites are de la soul, a tribe called quest, and nas

eh, i think you're oversimplifying a bit. but the artists you listed are great.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7KnGNOiFll4

I like that song. As for most rap, I despise the rap cliche of guns n bitches, but I probably would love some artists if I gave them a listen. I love Eminem and I used to listen to Dr Dre and Xzibit. Around 2001, I lost interest and got into rock. But if I love stuff like NWA which samples artists in a very creative way.

Right now, its just being used as a cash cow like hair metal and disco was. Theres still genuine shit out there.

I love hip hop, i sincerely do but, as a genre, i dont think i could really find an entire genre that i disliked, ever. As it happens, rap music/hip hop, whatever you wanna call it, is fuckin incredible. I'm really loving Schoolly D at the moment, having like...a revival and shit :):):)

Only kinda rap i find a little irritating is that college boy intellectualised bullshit thats palmed off as "underground" when some of these motherfuckers wouldn't know underground if it rose up under em.

Edited by dirtylenny

What happened to all the people who thought "rap is not music, takes no talent" from the other thread?! Most people here seem to have a decent grasp on things...

This is basically what it's all about:

There is plenty of bad rap/hip-hop music. But there's also plenty of brilliant and creative hip-hop out there. Saying it isn't creative based on the mainstream pap is like a rap fan coming up to you and saying, "Hey, rock music is all boring and outdated. Why? Because Hinder and Buckcherry SUCK!"

Point is, you can't make blanket statements based on mediocre, marginally talented popular artists. They aren't representative of the genre's best offerings.

Guest deleted_19765

O.G. Original Gangster isn't nearly talked about enough today (I see you Lahey). I know its easy to think of Ice-T as an old sell-out who plays a T.V. cop, but his classic material was mind blowing. There's this perception that rappers started becoming "deep" when Nas, Black Star and co. came around in the 90s, but Ice had a lot to talk about at the beginning of the decade. It's also similar to GNR in that it portrays L.A. at the time very vividly.

Anyways:

Sounds made with intent=music

O.G. Original Gangster isn't nearly talked about enough today (I see you Lahey). I know its easy to think of Ice-T as an old sell-out who plays a T.V. cop, but his classic material was mind blowing. There's this perception that rappers started becoming "deep" when Nas, Black Star and co. came around in the 90s, but Ice had a lot to talk about at the beginning of the decade. It's also similar to GNR in that it portrays L.A. at the time very vividly.

Anyways:

LOL!!!!!!! here i was thinkin that rappers were deep when the last poets were tellin n------- they were scared of revolution, hmmm..

Outkast has been the most interesting and progressive act in the mainstream over the past 14 years, imo.

Agreed. Eventually I believe they will be considered among the likes of the Beatles as true pioneers of music.

Speakerboxxx/The Love Below is simply magnificent.

+2.

Guest deleted_19765

Anyways:

LOL!!!!!!! here i was thinkin that rappers were deep when the last poets were tellin n------- they were scared of revolution, hmmm..

...And I totally claimed that no rappers were deep before Ice-T, didn't I?

Guest banaszkiewicz
im not an amateur at rap - but i dont have time to digress - eminem is my favourite rapper by far, simply due to his aggression

check out immortal technique if you haven't already.

he's the maddest brother i've ever seen.

already know who he is - some of his shit is actually disturbing though, "dancing with the devil"?

Anyways:

...And I totally claimed that no rappers were deep before Ice-T, didn't I?

keep your pants on cochise, i was addressing the misconception that you pointed out, i was agreeing with you.