Need an antiviral

P.A. Guns

My sister made me remove Clamwin and install AVG. AVG is a piece of shit. I don't care how safe my computer is, it now takes an hour to load Firefox from start up because AVG runs about 6 execution files, according to task manager. It won't allow me to go to my warez sites, either. I know it's probably for the better, but I don't care; I want my warez. What would you suggest that won't kill my PC?

Edited by P.A. Guns

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2333448,00.asp

I've always used Norton and never had a problem with it, though it has no shortage of detractors. But many of them seem to be back on board with the 2009 version, it's impact on system performance improved to the point where it is top of the class and it also scores well at av-comparatives.org. I'm upgrading to it soon. Installed it already on one PC and installation was surprisingly fast (30 seconds perhaps, I don't recall exactly). System performance seems to have been the big focus for Symantec this time around.

ESET NOD32 wasn't reviewed by pcmag but it got top rating in av-comparatives testing and a lot of people recommend it highly for it's effectiveness, speed, and minimal impact on system resources.

I used AVG for a while but it kept failing and i had to keep reinstalling,bag of shit.I am using Mcaffe at the mo but have probs now and then and i won't renew it.I will go back to what i used originally which is Kapersky,easy to use and never had any problems from it ever.

Edited by juadlu

Everything feels slow and useless compared to NOD32.

The new Norton 2009 (compared to older versions) is a godsend. Everyone who has an older version of Norton should definately upgrade to it - its free if you have a subscription from 2006 onwards.

With AVG you have to do a custom install and disable everything except the main program. Linkscanner especially as it slows down explorer.

Avast was slow as fook the last time I used it, and had a butt ugly user interface to go with it.

Antivir was decent but the ads after updates put me off.

Kaspersky used to be good, but with the new 2009 stuff its gotten slow and bloated.

CA Trust and Clamwin just don't have the detection rates as the others.

Bullguard is mega-mega slow at scanning inside compressed files/CAB files and didn't detect viruses that NOD32 did after I uninstalled it.

Yes, I have been through a good few AV's :) NOD32 has been my choice for the last 3/4 years. They're coming out with a new version v4 in March, so we'll see what thats like.

Edited by Max™

Hey Max, any thoughts on the new "Zone Alarm Extreme Security"? The review linked, which just went up yesterday, is very impressive. As I said I am going to upgrade Norton, but this review has me thinking of maybe trying Zone Alarm. I like some of the features they've included in this version. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2341826,00.asp

There was a slim chance I was going to choose NOD32 over Norton, but the pcmag review has me backing off: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2214773,00.asp

I know reviews are only so good, but PC Mag's seem extremely thorough.

As for LinkScanner, I went back to McAfee Siteadvisor as a browser plugin after Linkscanner said one page was clean but my antispyware program stopped something when I clicked onto the page. LinkScanner seems like a great idea, but 99.9% of the pages it scanned for me it said were clean. At least with SiteAdvisor you get quite a few red/yellow flags, which make you think twice before clicking.

Edited by KBear

^

I haven't come across that one yet, but their current Zone Alarm firewall suite is terrible and slow. For most, if not all home users the Windows Firewall is perfectly acceptable. Combined with a NAT router there should be no need for a "Security suite" as such - just the antivirus.

I would wait a couple of weeks for the new reviews of the NOD32 v4 to appear once its released. Then make a decision based upon that. I'm a speed freak, so I would prefer something that was faster and lighter on resources rather than a complete resource hog, even if the program is decently rated. NOD32 has the right balance for me although Kaspersky may lean slightly the other way, trading a bit of speed for more security - and dare I say it, Norton 2009 joins that club too.

Just to clarify too - and I hope others agree here. Instead of spending more money on a security suite/firewall package, I would spend the extra cash you save (just by getting the antivirus) on a decent router. They are more reliable than one of those awful USB modems and will provide you with wireless and extra wired ports for more PC's, not to mention the incoming firewall protection which won't ever slow down your PC's operation.

Yes, I probably blurb a bit too much in this field...forgive me all, I'm passionate :kiss:

I'm agreeing with Max, but on the other hand, not every end user can handle a light security suite.

I've used NOD32 for some years now, and while i've never, ever had a virus with it, I could understand it letting some though for other users - simply because it doesn't babysit you. If you're relatively confident that you visit safe sites, and you recognise something dangerous before you click on it, then there's no reason why it shouldn't be ample security for you. If you're somewhat of a novice and you don't have that kind of confidence, then something that blocks out more websites/programs is going to be better suited to you - just bear in mind that some of those "security" programs can end up slowing your computer down more than a lot of viruses will be able to.

There's no "perfect" antivirus/spyware solution - at the end of the day, everyone is going to have different requirements and a recommendation should be tailored to suit an individual user's need. I prefer a super lean approach because I like my PC to be responsive - it's not suited to everyone though.

I believe that version of Zone Alarm is just the current suite with their Force Field program added on and some tune up utilities. Looking over some Zone Alarm reviews I am starting to shy away from that idea due to the impact it may have on system speed. My system has never really felt slow but the prospect of upgrading to a very lean version of Norton, and seeing the impact that has, is appealing. Also, this new ZA suite costs $89 vs. Norton's $49 and while Force Field sounds great it's probably not worth the extra coin. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the new NOD32.

I believe that version of Zone Alarm is just the current suite with their Force Field program added on and some tune up utilities. Looking over some Zone Alarm reviews I am starting to shy away from that idea due to the impact it may have on system speed. My system has never really felt slow but the prospect of upgrading to a very lean version of Norton, and seeing the impact that has, is appealing. Also, this new ZA suite costs $89 vs. Norton's $49 and while Force Field sounds great it's probably not worth the extra coin. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the new NOD32.

What do you have at the moment? If you install Norton 2009 without a serial, you get a 15 day free trial with it.

What do you have at the moment? If you install Norton 2009 without a serial, you get a 15 day free trial with it.

Norton 2008. Everything from the install to the way it functions is pretty slick, I've had no issues with it. Best version I've ever run (then again I haven't personally used 2009 yet). But yeah, I'll probably go with the free trial of 2009 to start with since there really isn't anything to lose.

Edited by KBear

Norton 2008. Everything from the install to the way it functions is pretty slick, I've had no issues with it. Best version I've ever run (then again I haven't personally used 2009 yet). But yeah, I'll probably go with the free trial of 2009 to start with since there really isn't anything to lose.

I used to use the free trial every three months, every time it expired.. I just system restored my computer.

...Of course if you have stuff on your computer you want to keep, bad idea.

My sister made me remove Clamwin and install AVG. AVG is a piece of shit. I don't care how safe my computer is, it now takes an hour to load Firefox from start up because AVG runs about 6 execution files, according to task manager. It won't allow me to go to my warez sites, either. I know it's probably for the better, but I don't care; I want my warez. What would you suggest that won't kill my PC?

Is this YOUR computer? If so, just uninstall AVG and download Avast! It is free and gives really good results in the scan!

Seriously installing Norton Antivirus is one the worst things you can do to a computer.

6 months ago I would've been saying the same. Have you tried the new 2009 products? It takes about 25 seconds to install.

Seriously installing Norton Antivirus is one the worst things you can do to a computer.

6 months ago I would've been saying the same. Have you tried the new 2009 products? It takes about 25 seconds to install.

Admittedly nope, I haven't tried any of their newer products. Based on how much of a resource hungry piece of shit the previous versions were I decided to stay well away from Norton in the future. I take it there's been a major improvement?

Its a major improvement. You won't believe it until you see it. I mean the previous version took bloody ages to install, probably about 30 minutes. This takes seconds, theres no crappy popups every 10 seconds telling you what you can't do either. They've really done a good job on it, and I hope they keep it up.

Kbear, I have before upgraded peoples old Norton software to the latest version. I would think your 2008 key would fit in with the 2009 suite. I would definately try it. Nothing to lose.

I've done that with Norton before. If you have an existing subscription and a new version comes out, you can uninstall the old one and then install the new one. Your key is actually saved in the registry and it will automatically transfer over to the new version (though Symantec recommends you write it down just in case, but it's also available if you set up a Norton account online). Worked like a charm on the one computer I tried this on.

I was in a different boat this time though because my 2008 subscription just expired. So I was free to consider other brands. But I actually went ahead and bought a new subscription today. The 2009 version is so good that I figured I may as well just stick with Norton. I'm one of the few that hasn't really had any issues with it over the years anyway. Though I do remember all those epic installation sessions! Half an hour is about right. It'd take forever, and it was quite nerve racking sitting there and hoping the program would install and not break Windows, or be missing certain functionality. Thankfully for me it pretty much always installed right. I think out of like 12 years of using this program I only had an issue once or twice, but was always able to correct it.

Edited by KBear