Why Rock Died

White Widow

I'll tell you why. It ain't because of the grunge movement, it ain't cause of rap, it ain't cause Kurt Cobain blew his brains out. It's because of MTV.

In 1994, grunge had pretty much taken over the music scene. The days of glam and dance pop were over. But MTV had realized that the movement will die soon because of over-exposure. So what did they do. The started to play nothing but R'N'B and rap. MTV saugh long lasting potential with both genres so they decided to go in the tank for the both of them. By the time 96' hit they started to get into NU-Metal and Pop-punk. Which even further hurt rock even more and now mtv does nothing but rap, emo, and r'n'b. Mtv screwed rock. And the hole reason they did it was for money.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That prissy little Kurt Cobain ruined Rock.

Elaborate please.

He doesn't need to, Cobain killed Rock. Plain and simple. Grunge music? Ew. Two of his big hit songs had riffs stolen from songs. How pathetic, hope he is enjoying his time with Satan.

Elaborate please.

MTV turned towards Grunge at the time away from more mainstream acts such as GNR. Grunge lasted a few years at it's peak, until Kurt killed himself, then they (MTV ect...) turned away from Grunge and not wanting to revert to the music of '91, because for some reason Kurt didn't find it cool.

So for some reason in my country for example... you have NME kids, who find everything about pre-90's rock uncool.

Kurt may have wrote alot of great music, but his ideals fucked music.

He doesn't need to, Cobain killed Rock. Plain and simple. Grunge music? Ew. Two of his big hit songs had riffs stolen from songs. How pathetic, hope he is enjoying his time with Satan.

I wasn't talking to you. I'd rather hear what AbominableHoman has to say.

Edited by Lithium

Elaborate please.

His anti-rock persona opened the door for the rapage of rock music, and the industry. You could argue the same thing about GNR ruining the fun for everyone, but I dont.

Grunge is the antithesis of good music imo. Nirvana was unoriginal (stolen rifts), untalented, and I believe was hand picked by music executives to be big.

Music Exec: Fucking Axl. Ridiculous demands, expensive tyrades, missing shows....

Music Exec #2: We need a stoic, self loathing 'rocker' who isn't a liability, and plays simple lower-common-denominator rock that is easily interchangeable and doesn't require we pander to any of his excessive needs due to his lack of leverage (ie no talent).

Music Exec: Hmmm...... I have an idea.

Bullshit. Pixies did it better, and were first. Take away Nevermind and their auspicious conditions and Nirvana is shit.

His anti-rock persona opened the door for the rapage of rock music, and the industry. You could argue the same thing about GNR ruining the fun for everyone, but I dont.

Grunge is the antithesis of good music imo. Nirvana was unoriginal (stolen rifts), untalented, and I believe was hand picked by music executives to be big.

Music Exec: Fucking Axl. Ridiculous demands, expensive tyrades, missing shows....

Music Exec #2: We need a stoic, self loathing 'rocker' who isn't a liability, and plays simple lower-common-denominator rock that is easily interchangeable and doesn't require we pander to any of his excessive needs due to his lack of leverage (ie no talent).

Music Exec: Hmmm...... I have an idea.

Bullshit. Pixies did it better, and were first. Take away Nevermind and their auspicious conditions and Nirvana is shit.

What do you mean by "anti-rock persona"? Kurt loved rock music - he played a sub-genre of rock music. As for "ruining the fun" - do you mean the death of the God-awful hair/glam scene that had already been going on for a decade and had basically been a parody of itself for half of that decade? The death of hair/glam metal was inevitable; people needed more substance over style, not the other way around.

Yeah, Nirvana stole a few things from Pixies. But when you think about it, a lot of bands steal a lot from each other. There's a reason why Pixies never got a big commercial breakthrough and Nirvana did. You're right about Nirvana being hand-picked by Geffen, but what bands who are signed to major labels aren't? Geffen didn't really invest that much into Nirvana, but they did see the money-making potential of their musical sound, which was basically the finest cross between punk and pop since The Clash. Geffen realized that Nirvana's sound was pop enough for the mainstream (which was, at this point, getting tired of all the fake, plastic Warrant and King of the Hill crap) and punk and alternative enough for the critics and hip kids to like them.

All the world needs is the correct balance of ingredients. if we got a new frontman, a singer who is truly epic and emotive and has appealing charisma to everyone, then MTV will pick up on it and batta bing batta boom, rock is cool again. Give it time. Patience is a virtue...and a GNR tune...

My opinion is that Rock music may have died because:

There are no more songs.

Every chord set, scale pattern, riff, lick, and musical phrase that could be organized has been used many times over. Not to mention lyrics.

not true at all and really one of the dumbest things i've ever heard.

there's a multitude of bands and artists releasing new music year after year that continues to be groundbreaking; just because you don't hear it on the radio or see it on mtv doesn't mean it doesn't exist--it just means that you're an idiot. there's so much good music out there. rock, as a genre, isn't dead, hasn't died, and won't die. it's one of the most beloved forms of popular music.

Apparently "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was the number 1 song of the 90's. Yeah fucking right.

On topic; There are more then a million riffs to be used and solos so really, nothing is completely used up. Lyrics are fine, it's just that grunge music is killing us.

My opinion is that Rock music may have died because:

There are no more songs.

Every chord set, scale pattern, riff, lick, and musical phrase that could be organized has been used many times over. Not to mention lyrics.

not true at all and really one of the dumbest things i've ever heard.

there's a multitude of bands and artists releasing new music year after year that continues to be groundbreaking; just because you don't hear it on the radio or see it on mtv doesn't mean it doesn't exist--it just means that you're an idiot. there's so much good music out there. rock, as a genre, isn't dead, hasn't died, and won't die. it's one of the most beloved forms of popular music.

Why is what I stated dumb? Why dismiss my comments by calling me an idiot? I was being logical. Name your top 10 songs and the respective decades they were created. The OP stated in a hyperbolic way that rock died so I reused that phrase. People still make rock music. I just don't feel that you can keep finding hooks forever and ever. I write music myself in my spare time, and from music theory I developed that opinion. I could be wrong. I guess I am the only one so far that agrees with me.

it's like your saying literature is dead because harry potter and twilight shared common ideas. sure, they may be similar, but they're nowhere near the same, and only represent a fraction of what's actually available--there's always people outside of the spotlight exploring new idioms. listen to battles' album from last year and tell me its sound isn't completely new to you.

and the second half of my post was directed more towards the rest of the thread.

Edited by stacks on deck