Why Rock Died

White Widow

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's impossible for us to win in this discussion because it's completely opinion based.
All I was trying to prove is why I believe Cobain is a pussy.

Someone who kills themselves is. Axl is too on a whole another level.

Abusing women and his suicide attempts for example.

All the world needs is the correct balance of ingredients. if we got a new frontman, a singer who is truly epic and emotive and has appealing charisma to everyone, then MTV will pick up on it and batta bing batta boom, rock is cool again. Give it time. Patience is a virtue...and a GNR tune...

Seriously.

Nobody "killed rock," this whole Kurt Cobain discussion is ridiculous.

If a good rock band came along with some classic songs and a dynamic group of personalities, the genre would be as alive as it ever was. Maybe labels suck at cultivating talent now, but I still think there's just a serious dearth of musicianship, talent and personality.

Good rock bands seem to need a "scene," though (ie Sunset, Seattle etc). I kinda feel like that type of thing is severely diminished nowadays.

Edited by Ant

All the world needs is the correct balance of ingredients. if we got a new frontman, a singer who is truly epic and emotive and has appealing charisma to everyone, then MTV will pick up on it and batta bing batta boom, rock is cool again. Give it time. Patience is a virtue...and a GNR tune...

That is IT. There is no Diamond Daves, no Bobby Plants, no screaming Stevens, no flamboyant Freddies, and no raging Axl's. That is what rock is missing. A Frontman.

Of course thats what you'll find if you stick with MTV, you'll find yourself frustrated at the lack of real music with emotion that hasn't been glossed over ten times by misguided producers. You won't find any real frontmen who carve their own image on TV, and by thinking you will, you're just becoming part of the system you bitch about.

Go get your local paper, look up some gig listings. Go to small venue concerts, have a good time. Don't spend your time worrying about frontmen as if its a dying breed. If theres music to be played, you'll get a good selection of people who will convey it with emotion and not just 'clap your hands' gestures.

i'll tell ya why rock died;

rebellion. what do kids have to rebel about anymore?

part of rock's allure was pissing off your parents. nowadays most parents are into rock.

it's no longer edgy, and if it has the appearance of being edgy, it's a bunch of manufactured bullshit.

Go get your local paper, look up some gig listings. Go to small venue concerts, have a good time.

GREAT fucking advice. don't count on radio and tv for quality. you're going to get corporate cookie-cutter shit. there are lots of good bands around, but you got to go find them yourself.

myspace (even though i HATE it) is actually a good place to dig around for good music too. you have to sift through ALOT of shit, but you will find some damn good unsigned artists.

Edited by artfromtex

a 30/40 year old that is bitter because the music he partied to and got laid to 20 years ago has become irrelevant and dated. Yeah, it sounds good when you're shitfaced,

nail meet hammer, hammer meet nail!!

there's alot of truth in that post, Lithium. but you know what? the heart wants what the heart wants!! :rofl-lol:

artfromtex; guilty as charged.

although, i'm not bitter. not to try and sound like a rebel, but i've always liked what i liked and never really cared if it was "in" or not.

one look at my wardrobe and you'd know that to be true! :P

Edited by artfromtex

That's cool man, listen to what you want to listen to. Just don't rag on everything else like that idiot I aimed that post at.

i agree with that sentiment. we should all just be thankful for all the great music there is to choose from.

well said baby.

Rock has died? :unsure:

well, it has a pulse, but's it's laying in the corned bruised, broken, bloody and beaten.

QUOTE (artfromtex @ Mar 22 2009, 12:19 PM)

QUOTE (Lithium @ Mar 22 2009, 11:40 AM)

That's cool man, listen to what you want to listen to. Just don't rag on everything else like that idiot I aimed that post at.

i agree with that sentiment. we should all just be thankful for all the great music there is to choose from.

well said baby.

thank you. thankyouverymuch!

Oh by the way, I believe Cobain is rotting because obviously, killing yourself is a major sin. Enough said.

And Jesus is boiling in hot pastey Semen.

Braids,rehab,MTV,selling out and marriage is what kills Rock N' Roll, not Cobain.

Rock N Roll never dies, it just gets a little dusty.

Edited by Axzeal

OMG people Kurt Cobain had nothing to do with it. It was all MTV. MTV knew that grunge was a market that could collapse at any moment. So that's why they decided to completely ditch rock in general and start pushing rap and r'n'b on people.

Who made grunge music big? Nirvana. Fuck that shit, who gives a fuck about glam/hair/trash metal lasting for 10+ years, it was great. It's really hard to listen to a bad song on MTV in the 80's. Cobain is a little piece of shit, he is nothing more then a little poser. God, I wish Axl would've just kicked his ass. Rock music is not dead because there is a lot of good undiscovered bands but thanks to the record companies and TV companies, they want grunge, why? Apparently it sells. Though critics seem to bash it a lot.

It only makes me think, what will happen to music when all our legendary bands die or just call it quits. Hopefully music would change before that ever happens. The mid/late 90's was a horrible era for music, pop and rap got famous.

Oh by the way, I believe Cobain is rotting because obviously, killing yourself is a major sin. Enough said.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. You're a moron. lol

Yeah and your a little kid who can't define the word talent nor claim what talent is. 80's>90's. I recommend a music class for you.

Cobain is a pussy. Here is why..

Stealing riffs from here and there,

getting punked out by Axl.

killing himself.

creating the worst genre in music history.

acts like a mental douche.

Immature lyrics that only a 4 year old would come up with.

Selling himself out.

So please fail miserably at trying to explain to me why Cobain isn't a pussy because the list is endless.

you recommend a music class? i go to berklee college of music, fuckhead, 90% of classes i take are music related.

and you disliking cobain is just an opinion, i don't care what you think of him, i used to dislike him but i eventually got really into nirvana. you probably listen to poison.

Dude, reading your posts is like comedy. You can't say disliking Cobain is an opinion, then say the 90's is greater than the 80's as if it's a fact, then assume he listens to Poison. A bit hypocritical if you ask me.

And I can understand from the point-of-view of a Metalhead as to why they feel "Cobain killed Rock" as the 80's was probably the most dominant decade for Metal (Thrash, Glam, and traditional Metal all ran rampant). I'm impartial, as I'm a huge fan of Grunge (actually all Grunge except Nirvana believe it or not lol) and I also love the 60's, 70's, and 80's music.

And who's going on about Glam lasting a decade? It was 6 years tops. I figure '85 is when it was becoming popular and '91 was when it was pretty dead.

And Rock definitely isn't dead (although people are taking the usage way too literally in the thread), I just personally feel there aren't very many outstanding bands out there... There's a few good ones, but to me I'd rather stick to my "dad-rock" as stacks so elegantly put it.

OMG people Kurt Cobain had nothing to do with it. It was all MTV. MTV knew that grunge was a market that could collapse at any moment. So that's why they decided to completely ditch rock in general and start pushing rap and r'n'b on people.

Who made grunge music big? Nirvana. Fuck that shit, who gives a fuck about glam/hair/trash metal lasting for 10+ years, it was great. It's really hard to listen to a bad song on MTV in the 80's. Cobain is a little piece of shit, he is nothing more then a little poser. God, I wish Axl would've just kicked his ass. Rock music is not dead because there is a lot of good undiscovered bands but thanks to the record companies and TV companies, they want grunge, why? Apparently it sells. Though critics seem to bash it a lot.

It only makes me think, what will happen to music when all our legendary bands die or just call it quits. Hopefully music would change before that ever happens. The mid/late 90's was a horrible era for music, pop and rap got famous.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. You're a moron. lol

Yeah and your a little kid who can't define the word talent nor claim what talent is. 80's>90's. I recommend a music class for you.

Cobain is a pussy. Here is why..

Stealing riffs from here and there,

getting punked out by Axl.

killing himself.

creating the worst genre in music history.

acts like a mental douche.

Immature lyrics that only a 4 year old would come up with.

Selling himself out.

So please fail miserably at trying to explain to me why Cobain isn't a pussy because the list is endless.

you recommend a music class? i go to berklee college of music, fuckhead, 90% of classes i take are music related.

and you disliking cobain is just an opinion, i don't care what you think of him, i used to dislike him but i eventually got really into nirvana. you probably listen to poison.

Dude, reading your posts is like comedy. You can't say disliking Cobain is an opinion, then say the 90's is greater than the 80's as if it's a fact, then assume he listens to Poison. A bit hypocritical if you ask me.

And I can understand from the point-of-view of a Metalhead as to why they feel "Cobain killed Rock" as the 80's was probably the most dominant decade for Metal (Thrash, Glam, and traditional Metal all ran rampant). I'm impartial, as I'm a huge fan of Grunge (actually all Grunge except Nirvana believe it or not lol) and I also love the 60's, 70's, and 80's music.

And who's going on about Glam lasting a decade? It was 6 years tops. I figure '85 is when it was becoming popular and '91 was when it was pretty dead.

And Rock definitely isn't dead (although people are taking the usage way too literally in the thread), I just personally feel there aren't very many outstanding bands out there... There's a few good ones, but to me I'd rather stick to my "dad-rock" as stacks so elegantly put it.

You have to admit that the Motley Crue guy does seem a little crazy. He mentions a music class and then talks about Cobain being a pussy. I don't think music classes cover what constitutes being a pussy. The truth is this dude obviously just has a grudge against Kurt Cobain. Disliking a band is understandable. Straight out loathing a band for what reasons truly not valid is just sort of retarded. I can understand hating a band if they raped and murdered your family and then burned down your house. But just because you dislike their music or their views?

Nirvana is famous because it changed the course of music and culture. Cobain wrote amazing songs that continue to stand the test of time. As time goes on Nirvana's influence is only becoming more evident. Shit, Lil Wayne, the most popular rapper in 2008 said Nirvana was his favorite rock band. So to all the haters, nobody gives a shit. Continue to cling to cultural irrelevancy.