Tool

mandead

So I keep hearing good things about Tool, but know zero about them, 'cept they dedicated an album to Bill Hicks around the time he died (that was them, right?)

Anyway, I hear good things and I figured loads of people hear would have heard them.

Where do I start? What are the best couple of albums?

Look forward to getting into some new music.

Cheers.

Tool is amazing. Their albums are more than just music, theyre full on experiences. In my opinion Aenima is their best but either way its a good place to start. All their albums are good and worth a listen, and they're live shows are incredibly. Theres a reason why they have such a rabid fanbase

When I was running 70-80 minutes I used to put an album by Tool and the miles would fly by.

Anyways, if you were me you'd start with 10,000 Days and work backwards. OR you can listen to

until your head explodes. Edited by stevGNR666

Tool is very, very good

They kinda get pigeonholed as being a weird, psychadellic type of Rock band, but like someone mentioned, if you really listen to them you will hear some fascinating things

The guitarist plays very hard and very intense and may remind you a bit of Zeppelin or Metallica

The bass has a very Floyd-ish sound to it

The drums are very crisp and powerful

Maynard is the brains behind it and his voice is kinda hit or miss - but very fitting for their particular sound

Go for it with an open mind, and I doubt you'll be dissapointed

You are definitely right about that - Not about them being boring - I disagree with that, but some of their die-hard fans do go overboard

as with any band that gets really big without being all the way mainstream, I can tell you the same about Pearl Jam :facepalm:

they're talented, sure, but their music is boring, cheesy, overly-complicated, and predictable.

fuck all that "let's write a song using calculus equations" bullshit they fuck with--get over yourselves and make music that's actually enjoyable.

Did it not occur to you that since music is subjective some people do enjoy what Tool does?

Where do I start? What are the best couple of albums?

Buy Lateralus. Or just download a few of their more popular and accessible songs like Schism, Aenima, Prison Sex, Sober, The Grudge, The Pot, etc and see if you like 'em.

Some of their stuff is complete shit. The ten minute bridges can also be a bit much. But mostly they are coolness. This guy is the biggest reason I like 'em.

they're talented, sure, but their music is boring, cheesy, overly-complicated, and predictable.

fuck all that "let's write a song using calculus equations" bullshit they fuck with--get over yourselves and make music that's actually enjoyable.

Did it not occur to you that since music is subjective some people do enjoy what Tool does?

yeah, like seven dudes on a mygnr message board. it's almost universally accepted that tool is horrible.

anyone who knows music doesn't fuck with tool.

yeah, like seven dudes on a mygnr message board. it's almost universally accepted that tool is horrible.

Thats not true, I know a lot of people who are into great music who love Tool.

I don't get it though. Tool is awful.

Thats not true, I know a lot of people who are into great music who love Tool.

I don't get it though. Tool is awful.

yea its reductionist to say that "people who know music dont fuck with tool" thats absurd actually. Check out any drummer magazine or forum and Danny Carey is known as one of the best drummers in music. Im not saying you have to like them but to say liking tool damages someones musical opinion is just ridiculous. You dont work for Pitchfork, so its ok for people to like a band.

Haha, I agreed with you that Tool isn't very good, but the parts of your messages like "it's almost universally accepted that tool is horrible." and the last part of your post destroy the crediblity of your posts. Didn't Tool hit #1 on the Billboard charts with 10,000 Days or something? Their latest album, whatever it's called. That's pretty impressive with the music they make.

so everyone in the band and their thousands of fans are just what... a bunch of complete idiots or something? :rolleyes:

get over yourself man, if you don't like em fine but saying shit like that just solidifies your reputation as somebody who really believes their taste in music is superior to others. good luck with that

could you describe to me somebody who "knows music"?