Noel leaves Oasis

Marky

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe now they can get a decent lead guitarist. Don't get me wrong, Noel is fantastic as a song writer, and at the beginning he had some ok leads, but when you have as much swagger as liam, you need some huge guitar licks. More flash for icing to the hearty cake. To be honest, if they had noel be like a pete townshend guitarist, and then had someone come out for that extra bad ass touch of lead guitar, it would have been great. But noel's always had that damned singer songwriter idea in his head, and liam and the boys have been getting better quickly. The rock has honestly been getting too hard for noel too, the shock of the lightning and soldier on were weak, lead guitar wise. I bet it could make for a pretty fuckin good live act with someone with some real chops.Liam gets three, Gem and andy get 3, and the new guy gets 2, and BAM new album with some bad ass stuff.

i mean, syd left the floyd, and look what happenned there

Maybe now they can get a decent lead guitarist. Don't get me wrong, Noel is fantastic as a song writer, and at the beginning he had some ok leads, but when you have as much swagger as liam, you need some huge guitar licks. More flash for icing to the hearty cake. To be honest, if they had noel be like a pete townshend guitarist, and then had someone come out for that extra bad ass touch of lead guitar, it would have been great. But noel's always had that damned singer songwriter idea in his head, and liam and the boys have been getting better quickly. The rock has honestly been getting too hard for noel too, the shock of the lightning and soldier on were weak, lead guitar wise. I bet it could make for a pretty fuckin good live act with someone with some real chops.Liam gets three, Gem and andy get 3, and the new guy gets 2, and BAM new album with some bad ass stuff.

I see what you mean, Noel's always admitted he's no guitar God, but Fuckin' In the Bushes, Live Forever, Eyeball Tickler, Morning Glory, Champagne Supernova and a few others I'm forgetting (Plenty from the BHN era) are great on guitar work.

But yeah, I think he prefers 'Singer-Songwriter' to 'Guitar-God'.

Nah I disagree, Oasis are about the songs not lead guitar wankery to me. Flashy guitar solos may suit a lot of music (Hendrix, GN'R etc. and I love them in that) but Oasis aren't about that. If you're forgetting all the tunes you've said are too hard for Noel... we're written by Noel. Liam's only attempt at a rocker was Ain't Got Nothin' and that was kinda average for Oasis. Oasis are about chords and the voice, not riffs and solos - guitar solos shouldn't go into a song for the sake of a guitar solo, only if they'd add to it. The vocals in Oasis are melodic enough that a Buckethead/Slash/Gibbons etc. solo would just sound retarded coming from such a grounded band. And I love a good guitar solo.

Syd Barrett left Floyd with loads of great songwriters left. Take out Noel who's up there with the best songwriters and you're left with Liam, Andy and Gem. Sure there's Turn Up The Sun, Boy With The Blues, To Be Where There's Life, Guess God Thinks I'm Abel but they couldn't pull an album of classic Oasis without Noel.

Edited by Snake Eyes

Guest floyd the barber

How was the latest album compared to Definitely Maybe? I never really gave the new album a chance, but Definitely Maybe continues to be one of my favorite albums.

I was reading a paper today, and there was an idiot writer saying definitely maybe lacked energy, and he was glad Oasis split up. He then went on to babble on about how all oasis songs are rip offs.

seriously is the whole "oasis rip other people's songs" the most boring and tiresome criticism in music history? I honestly think it might be.

I honestly can't see the faults with modern Oasis.

SOTSOG - One of their best, I grew up to this record. 2(Little James, I Can See A Liar), maybe 3 (PYMWYMI), possibly 4 (Sunday Morning Call) sub-par songs, but the other 6 are some of their best. Plus this is joint with Be Here Now for best B-Sides, fucking collosal.

Heathen Chemistry - Aside from BOADC and Better Man, it too, is brilliant. A perfect blend of fast, agressive tunes and brilliant poprock songs.

Don't Believe The Truth - Again, absolutely brilliant, I get that album so much compared to first listen. Barely a bad song on it.

Dig Out Your Soul - Every song is a winner for me, I think this is what could have been SOTSOG or HC had Gem and Andy joined a bit sooner and had more confidence in their writing. Such progression, all types of psychedelic modern rock on it, Fantastic stuff.

Every record is great. It's hard to pick highlights but if I had to..

Definitly Maybe - Up In The Sky, Columbia, Rock 'N' Roll Star, Bring It On Down.

(What's The Story) Morning Glory - Don't Look Back In Anger, Some Might Say, Champagne Supernova, Cast No Shadow.

Be Here Now - All Around The World, My Big Mouth, Be Here Now, D'You Know What I Mean?

The Masterplan - Half The World Away, The Masterplan, Fade Away, Underneath The Sky.

Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants - Gas Panic!, Who Feels Love?, Roll It Over, Fuckin' In The Bushes.

Heathen Chemistry - (Probably) All In The Mind, Hung In A Bad Place, Little By Little, She Is Love.

Don't Believe The Truth - Let There Be Love, Guess God Thinks I'm Abel, Turn Up The Sun, Part Of The Queue.

Dig Out Your Soul - Bag It Up, The Turning, Waiting For The Rapture, The Shock Of The Lightning.

Why did I just write all that.