The Blueprint 3

GnRIzzy

I heard it sucks :shrugs: Haven't heard it yet, is it worth getting?

It sucks? Empire State Of Mind, Off That, Hate, What We Talkin' Bout, On To The Next One, Venus vs. Mars, Ghetto Techno, D.O.A, and So Ambitious would like to disagree. This album has it all and is probably Jay's best work. So yes, it is worth getting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWKw-ctnrfs - says it all :):)

No one can touch Jay's rhyme schemes, flow, worldplay, the metaphors

They called him Biggie Smalls...Daddy Kane...Eminem...either of these artist'd make a joke outta Jay Z. Even Tupac in an on the whole level if not in a straightforward battle way.

Edited by dirtylenny

Jay-Z is better.

The fact is Jay Z has hit a creative block. His flow ain't improving ever since the day he bit Biggies style, he has his little artistic quirks and he just repeats them over and over. They're so pronnounced and apparent you can even tell its him in the shit he ghost-writes...like Still D.R.E...that whole sling the chorus line into the verse and pick up from it again, the attempt at clipping and splitting bars to try and catch the rhythm...comes off as forced and like he's tryna be Big Poppa.

Jay-Z is better.

The fact is Jay Z has hit a creative block. His flow ain't improving ever since the day he bit Biggies style, he has his little artistic quirks and he just repeats them over and over. They're so pronnounced and apparent you can even tell its him in the shit he ghost-writes...like Still D.R.E...that whole sling the chorus line into the verse and pick up from it again, the attempt at clipping and splitting bars to try and catch the rhythm...comes off as forced and like he's tryna be Big Poppa.

Nope. Obviously his having fun with Blueprint 3 just like Eminem had fun with Relapse. What does Jay-Z have to prove? He has had 10 albums that went #1 on the charts. All respects to the fat rapper B.I.G but honestly his can't isn't able to spark flames like Jay does. Jay has his own style, swagger, message, and in depth key to all of his albums and it always changes. I don't believe Big Poppa could achieve that. To be honest, I think too many people like to point out how great Big Poppa and 2Pac is when in reality, people like Nas, Eminem, Kid Cudi, Lupe Fiasco, Jay-Z, Joe Budden, Snoop Dogg, Kanye West, and so many others surpass them. Jay got his own style, not Biggies. Look at the concept behind each and every Jay-Z album and see how it changes, his presentation, and the way he aggressively rips tracks up. He can go from being a hood rat to an American gangster to the godfather of Rap with mad swag.

Face it, Jay's better. Most people are better than Biggie, his overrated. Just because he was here before all these new guys doesn't make him the best.

Nope. Obviously his having fun with Blueprint 3 just like Eminem had fun with Relapse. What does Jay-Z have to prove? He has had 10 albums that went #1 on the charts.

Jay Z's had this block since Reasonable Doubt. Eminem has progressed TONS with Relapse...compare his flow on Insane to....anything pre-Eminem Show, there's a WORLD of difference. Jay ain't shown no change since he decided to immitate Biggie wholesale.

Jay has his own style, swagger, message, and in depth key to all of his albums and it always changes.

In what respect? Specifically speaking?

I don't believe Big Poppa could achieve that.

Cant really say can we? He didn't get that far...his flow was/is better though.

To be honest, I think too many people like to point out how great Big Poppa and 2Pac is when in reality, people like Nas, Eminem, Kid Cudi, Lupe Fiasco, Jay-Z, Joe Budden, Snoop Dogg, Kanye West, and so many others surpass them.

None of those artists have achieved anything close to what Tupac did in his short amount of time with us. Not even close.

Look at the concept behind each and every Jay-Z album and see how it changes, his presentation, and the way he aggressively rips tracks up.

aggressively huh? :lol:

Just because he was here before all these new guys doesn't make him the best.

Him and Jay are from the same era dude..

Edited by dirtylenny

Kinda disappointing at first, but it's grown on me. If they cut off the last three tracks it'd be solid; "Hate" is one of the worst songs he's ever done. "Empire State of Mind" is probably one of the best.

The fact is Jay Z has hit a creative block.

American Gangster was a masterpiece, imo. His flow isn't evolving? "No Hook" is one of the most ambitious songs I've heard on a mainstream record. And the whole Eminem comparison seems without merit to me -- I just don't think Em's on the same level as an all-'round artist.

To put it quite simply, Jay Z was the only marketable person that was pushing that Gangsta shit post Biggie and Tupac that the record companies could hook onto and say, ahhhh, okay, he's like the one before him only without the real danger. Same with DMX in relation to Tupac although they kinda dropped the ball on that one. Ja Rule too. Insincerity i.e. not being real is something that no artist can ever get away with for long, especially when their art is supposed to be some kinda reflection of their reality or their self. He's a safe little fat boy with a lot of money and a lot of old 80s NYC hip hop albums. Gangsta Rap for the college crowd.

Em' is better...Em' is a LOT better...Em' can leave you in fuckin knots with that wordplay on a good day. I'm talkin' boy scout knots.

Edited by dirtylenny

Gangsta Rap for the college crowd.

I love you, lenny, but that's exactly what Eminem was.

Em' is better...Em' is a LOT better...Em' can leave you in fuckin knots with that wordplay on a good day. I'm boy scout knots.

I like Em, but The Blueprint and Reasonable Doubt are better than anything he's ever done, and Jay has helped produce some of the greatest hip-hop/pop songs of the decade. Em's a good MC, like Nas, but Jay's more like Dre -- well-rounded, multi-talented, and capable of producing both his own work and others'.

I love you, lenny, but that's exactly what Eminem was

I'm sure some suave record exec thought so too but he i'm sure he didn't count on the level of trouble. There's a lot to that statement i must say but...there's a sincerity there? A sort of...nakedness to it? Like there is with all truths that really hit home. I love you too baby :lol:

but The Blueprint and Reasonable Doubt are better than anything he's ever done

Em's first two albums surpass them both imo.

Em's a good MC, like Nas, but Jay's more like Dre -- well-rounded, multi-talented, and capable of producing both his own work and others'.

You should sniff around some of the tunes Em's laid down for other people man, trust me, he knows what he's doin behind the desk.

Kinda disappointing at first, but it's grown on me. If they cut off the last three tracks it'd be solid; "Hate" is one of the worst songs he's ever done. "Empire State of Mind" is probably one of the best.

American Gangster was a masterpiece, imo. His flow isn't evolving? "No Hook" is one of the most ambitious songs I've heard on a mainstream record. And the whole Eminem comparison seems without merit to me -- I just don't think Em's on the same level as an all-'round artist.

How do you dislike Hate? The beat, the production. Kanye's lines in that song are just brilliant.

"I am never sprung but I spring-her, Jerry, don't try to sit at home, results may vary"

That's called mad wordplay and Jay's flow is too epic. Though Kanye had the better verse.

You're giving Jay-Z too much credit. He isn't half the songwriter Eminem is (in terms of lyrical scope and originality) and has plagiarized too many rappers for too many years to ever be considered a superior artist. Even on American Gangster, he's using lines from the Marshall Mathers LP"I used to give a fuck, now I could give a fuck less. What do I think of success? It sucks." In the 90s, he was taking all of his artistic cues from Biggie Smalls and Raekwon. Now, he's just using Kanye's formula..

Check this out when you've got a few minutes:

-Kickingthehabit

How do you dislike Hate? The beat, the production. Kanye's lines in that song are just brilliant.

"I am never sprung but I spring-her, Jerry, don't try to sit at home, results may vary"

That's called mad wordplay and Jay's flow is too epic. Though Kanye had the better verse.

:lol:

Are you serious? Hate is a godawful song. By far the worst thing he's ever done. And the line you quoted is one of the worst lines of the song just behind, "Yeh, yeh, How much they hate it? Very! Kiss girls like Katy Perry."

Just terrible.

The album has grown on me but it's still a bit of a dissapointment. Having said that "Empire State Of Mind" is worth the album price alone and I actually quite like "Young Forever."

Jay-Z

. Awesomeness.

I thought there was a kind of indie rock vibe to BP3...MGMT were originally lined up to help produce a few songs, too. I wouldn't be surprised if he expands upon that sound for his next record.

You're giving Jay-Z too much credit. He isn't half the songwriter Eminem is (in terms of lyrical scope and originality)

Just a matter of disagreement, really. I'm not saying he's the best ever, but he's up there. And, again, artists such as Raekwon are not quite the same type of rappers as Jay-Z. OB4CL2 is a great record, but in directly comparing the actual artists, it's apples and oranges imo. Just like people who got caught up in the Nas/Jay beef at the start of the decade -- Nas is an MC, easily one of the best ever, but Jay's not. There was no reason to play them against each other.

... and has plagiarized too many rappers for too many years to ever be considered a superior artist.

Seems a petty point of criticism within a genre that has an inherent tendency to sample and recycle other artists. Lil' Wayne recycled numerous verses from Jay on "Mr. Carter," Kanye used a Ghostface line on "Swagga," and by the same token I'd say Jay using an Eminem lyric isn't as much theft as it is paying homage. Let's not forget the two collaborated on a song for the first Blueprint and have even performed live together.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Oh fuck off Jay-Z haters. Jay-Z's best work comes from the Blueprint to Reasonable Doubt to American Gangster to The Black Album and Blueprint 3. Kanye is turning into a HUGE producer. How is the Jerry Springer line wack? I would love to see any of you guys try to attempt word play, I doubt some people know what wordplay is. >.<

There's no such thing as the best rapper alive but I'll say this, Jay-Z is the Godfather of Rap. No question about it.

I'm not saying he's the best ever, but he's up there. And, again, artists such as Raekwon are not quite the same type of rappers as Jay-Z. OB4CL2 is a great record, but in directly comparing the actual artists, it's apples and oranges imo. Just like people who got caught up in the Nas/Jay beef at the start of the decade -- Nas is an MC, easily one of the best ever, but Jay's not. There was no reason to play them against each other.

It's not an unfair comparison. The slang and Mafioso aspirations laid by Raekwon and Ghostface Killa on the first Only Built 4 Cuban Linx… album are unavoidable in everything Jay-Z has released. In fact, it was the blueprint for Reasonable Doubt right down to the Cristal references and street mobster-turned-rapper persona. It's a fantastic album, but it's an imitation of Wu-Tang and particularly Nas' It Was Written. Prior to releasing the album, Jay went so far as to sample lyrics and a vocal track from a song Nas had recorded without his permission. Subsequently, his landmark single The World Is Yours became Dead Presidents by Jay-Z. Ironically, it was his debut single as a recording artist. As much as I like Jay for his charisma, he's always riding the coattails of another rapper and has never done anything remotely original..

Seems a petty point of criticism within a genre that has an inherent tendency to sample and recycle other artists. Lil' Wayne recycled numerous verses from Jay on "Mr. Carter," Kanye used a Ghostface line on "Swagga," and by the same token I'd say Jay using an Eminem lyric isn't as much theft as it is paying homage. Let's not forget the two collaborated on a song for the first Blueprint and have even performed live together.

I don't like this "homage" argument because it's always seemed like an excuse to justify what Jay has been too coy to discuss. He was like Tarantino in the 90s ― no one really knew of the plagiarism, and if it was ever mentioned they were completely innocent. Tarantino never saw that particular film and it was purely coincidental. Jay used the same tactics until Nas tore him apart in Ether and then it became a matter of paying tribute to Biggie Smalls. It's too convenient of an argument, especially when Jay was more than happy to let people think he was a credible wordsmith for so many years. Frankly, I don't think you could find a single line from Eminem that was blatantly taken from another rapper. His flow and quotables are immeasurably distinct. Jay-Z is simply a well put together package of influential rappers..

He's the hip hop Oasis..

-Kickingthehabit

Prior to releasing the album, Jay went so far as to sample lyrics and a vocal track from a song Nas had recorded without his permission. Subsequently, his landmark single The World Is Yours became Dead Presidents by Jay-Z.

I'm aware of all this -- Illmatic is probably my favourite rap album ever, but I always liked this line from "Takeover": So yeah, I sampled your voice; you was usin' it wrong: you made it a hot line, I made it a hot song. I don't agree, but it was a pretty good lyric.

He's the hip hop Oasis..

Probably wouldn't disagree with that.