In Flames

Graeme

Hey, I'm this board's In Flames superfan, (Well, me and Satanisk_Slakt) and I got to see them for the third time in Glasgow last week. It was, as ever, a truly amazing experience, Guns N Roses aside they're the best live act I've seen and I've seen a shitload of bands. They played some old gems like "Embody the Invisible" and "Artifacts of the Black Rain" as well as some surprising new tracks like "March to the Shore".

What was really awesome was that I got to meet them, both before and after the show, those guys have been my musical heroes for the past 4 years, they have written songs that have been anthems of my life for ages. I even played one of their songs, "Jotun" for my advanced higher music exam. They are honestly such sound, appreciative guys it was a brilliant experience, Anders Friden told me afterwards "I saw you down the front, man singing every word. Every word." One of the proudest moments of my life, I got a hug off him too. When i had to go catch my train, Peter Iwers and Bjorn Gelotte formed a human wall and were like "No, you can't leave man!!" That was touching. :)

All in all one of the best nights of my life!!! rock1

• 4 weeks later...

I just had the pleasure of introducing myself to The Jester Race, and I cant believe I've been missing out on it all this time. I love the acoustic guitars that are interwoven into so many songs.

Awww man!!! it's totally their best album, start to finish it's magnificent. Anders is at his best, low pitched, raw and angry, the layered harmonies are insane, the drums are thunderous and beautiful, the songwriting's sublime... the flow of the entire album is just perfect. And the December Flower solo is without doubt the album's orgasmic climax.... I remember I cried when I saw them in Glasgow 2008 and they played the title track from it...

• 1 month later...

JESPER STRÖMBLAD LEAVES IN FLAMES

Jesper Strömblad, guitarist in In Flames has decided to leave the band permanently.

“I have decided it is best for me to leave In Flames and to quit the band permanently.The last 17 years have been a blast, and I am proud to have been part of this great journey, with the most talented and amazing people anyone can wish to have the privilege to work with.I’m also the luckiest guy in the world, to have the BEST fans in the world, who have been supporting me during my difficult times. It means the world to me, and I’m determined to fight and defeat my demons once and for all.... and by the help from you guys, I’m on my way.I’m far from done with music, metal, or whatever my direction is taking me, so be sure to hear from me in the future.

.… May the Force be with you!" – Jesper Strömblad"

"We are losing a great guitar player and musician, but in order to keep a very dear friend this is probably for the best. If this feels right for Jesper we are behind him 100% on his decision.

It is way too early to speculate about the future and possible replacements and things like that. However, we can assure you that In Flames will continue as a band, release albums and tour the world.

The door to In Flames is always open to Jesper. We are, and will always be behind Jesper 100% on his way to recovery.” – Anders, Peter, Daniel & Björn

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=4253228&blogId=529042917

Well shit...I just listened to them this morning when I went for a run, then I got online and saw that.

Fuck, the founding member of the band gone... I wish him all the best, but him and Bjorn were so in tune with each other, their instruments were essentially one, on lists of my favourite guitarists I'd always list them together because I felt they were inseparable, I've no idea who they could bring in to fill that gap... Fuck.... my loyalty will always, ALWAYS lie with In Flames and whatever they decide to do, but it's gonna be an uphill battle without the genius that started it all...

May the force be with Anders, Bjorn, Peter and Daniel.... In Flames I trust... :(

Yeah, it's going to be hard to replace the guy that essentially created the band's sound, but I'm sure they'll find someone that's up to the task. And honestly, I'd rather see him overcome his problems, than try and stay in the band and languish due to his demons. We don't know what the future holds, and hey, maybe one day he'll come back to the band. They seem like they're all on good terms, so I'll hold out hope.

Yeah, it's going to be hard to replace the guy that essentially created the band's sound, but I'm sure they'll find someone that's up to the task. And honestly, I'd rather see him overcome his problems, than try and stay in the band and languish due to his demons. We don't know what the future holds, and hey, maybe one day he'll come back to the band. They seem like they're all on good terms, so I'll hold out hope.

Yeah, the only thing I'm hugely worried about is songwriting tbh, Jesper was integral to that, so in losing him, I don't know what direction their next album will take, hopefully a heavier one, but they'd have to bring in someone who was respectful to the band's melodic nature, i don't want some generic metalcore guitarist coming in and ruining things with punctutated riffs and divebomb squeals a la Killswitch Engage. This is In Flames, they're all about the melody, so that shit's just not gonna fly.

Just listened to The Jester Race front to back, felt it had to be done.... Jesper's genius was all over that album, in the thundering, groovy rhythms and the soaring leads, in the acoustic work and the harmonies....it held it together... man, I am so gutted right now :(

Wayfaerer normally leaves me with a real feeling of hope at the end, but knowing the guy who wrote those uplifting, beautiful final strains is out of the game for something as avoidable as alcohol addiction is really awful.

Just listened to The Jester Race front to back, felt it had to be done.... Jesper's genius was all over that album, in the thundering, groovy rhythms and the soaring leads, in the acoustic work and the harmonies....it held it together... man, I am so gutted right now :(

Wayfaerer normally leaves me with a real feeling of hope at the end, but knowing the guy who wrote those uplifting, beautiful final strains is out of the game for something as avoidable as alcohol addiction is really awful.

Well, there is also the possibility of them continuing on as a four piece, too, with Bjorn doing all the guitar work in studio and having a second touring guitarist with them. Considering how long Bjorn worked with Jesper, and how well they were able to write together and blend their guitars together, he must have a pretty similar writing style to Jesper.