Chidem SHM and Vinyl sound quality

Young_Gun

I'm contemplating getting Chidem in SHM format and Vinyl as i hear those two formats sound better then traditional CD. It is that noticeable? Im probably just looking for an excuse to buy some more Guns related stuff anyway haha.

On a good system you can notice a difference between CD and SHM, though it's not worth it for headphone use, stock car stereo, etc. I don't have any SHM's, so I can't comment specifically on CD. The vinyl is actually noticeably worse than the CD. There's a fair amount of general distortion on the vinyl. It's definitely not from peaking out, as it happens on the ballads as well. There's also multiple skips pressed in from the master. The vinyl is a nice collector's item, but not worth it for listening pleasure, wait until they reissue it with all the kinks worked out (If they do at all).

As for the SHM-CD: if you're going to listen to it on your computer drive, not much of a difference. Visit Ektorasclub.com and check it out.

As for the vinyl, it might sound better IF you have a 5,000 dollars stereo. Many people are heading back to vinyl for collection's sake, claimin it sounds better than compact dics, and it may - as long as you have equipment able to reproduce it properly.

I wouldn't bother. It was still recorded in digital, so some of the ambiance provided to albums on vinyl is lost anyway as many of the older albums were recorded in analog, which contributes greatly to that old school warmer sound many people prefer vinyl for.

Vinyl-The US pressing is crap. Not even playable. The EU pressing is real nice, but if you want it to be all it can be, you need a top end turntable and sound system.

SHMCD- I don't really buy into the SHM deal, but there are points where the sound on the SHM version of Chi Dem comes through better than the Best Buy pressing. IMO, this is due to Best Buy going with the cheapest way to press a CD, which is why the vinyl sucks so bad also, I will assume. In my experience, Japanese CD manufacturers believe in putting out a higher quality product.

Hopefully someday Axl will let MFSL take a shot at CD, because if there was ever an album that needs the royal treatment, its this one.

SHM-CDs and normal CDs sound exactly the same. Don't let anyone fool you.

No, they sound exactly the same on a cheap system.

They are the same exact master. The spectrals are no different between the CD and the SHM-CD. SHM-CDs don't offer anything different than CDs in terms of sound quality. They both conform to the same exact specifications, and the data on them is identical. The only difference is what they are made out of, but that only effects durability.

SHM-CDs and normal CDs sound exactly the same. Don't let anyone fool you.

No, they sound exactly the same on a cheap system.

They are the same exact master. The spectrals are no different between the CD and the SHM-CD. SHM-CDs don't offer anything different than CDs in terms of sound quality. They both conform to the same exact specifications, and the data on them is identical. The only difference is what they are made out of, but that only effects durability.

Never read anything to support this, do you have a source?

• 2 weeks later...