Could record company matters hold things back so much...

gavgnr

Well the thread title says it all.

Have matters with the record company become even more complicated following the release of Chinese thereby making any future release extremely unlikely?

And when I say complicated, I mean axl (rightfully) demanding things be done how he and the band want, and the record company's unwavering stance regarding costs and business practicalities.

I certainly hope not, but I fear a stalemate.

Have matters with the record company become even more complicated following the release of Chinese thereby making any future release extremely unlikely?

And when I say complicated, I mean axl (rightfully) demanding things be done how he and the band want, and the record company's unwavering stance regarding costs and business practicalities.

I fear a stale record.

They should go independent.. they are basically a supergroup of the worlds best musicians.. they have enough money

They should but they probably have a contract with Geffen/UMG that forbids this. Only way out is if another record label or Axl buys the contract out, which won't happen.

Trouble is, does interscope have a hold over guns in that the money they poured into the project Chinese has funded songs not yet released.

I know the best buy deal has paid off debts owing, but I'm sure that business being business, interscope aren't gonna let guns release those tracks without their approval.

I don't confess to have a great understanding of these matters, but I guess it's quite complicated.

Real shame because the band and axl gets a shit load of grief (I expect), and the fans don't get their music.

I dont know much about this but wasnt his record deal only valid for CD? Since it took so long the record company just wanted to finally release it, get some cash, and be done with Axl. So I believe he is independent now? :shrugs:

If I remember correctly Axl still needs to release a new CD. The contract was for two or three records I think.

I dont know much about this but wasnt his record deal only valid for CD? Since it took so long the record company just wanted to finally release it, get some cash, and be done with Axl. So I believe he is independent now? :shrugs:

If I remember correctly Axl still needs to release a new CD. The contract was for two or three records I think.

they're at least still listed under universal musics artist list, so i assume they are still under contract. anyone know how many albums guns' original record deal was? i dont know if its right but i somehow think it was nine records.

they're at least still listed under universal musics artist list, so i assume they are still under contract. anyone know how many albums guns' original record deal was? i dont know if its right but i somehow think it was nine records.

I think its complicated because he might want to go in another direction but the label wants the stuff thats done to be released. Just me speculating obviously.

I don't think it'll be all that complicated, because this tour has gone fairly well, even with the shows that haven't. The good still outnumber the bad.

I think the expectation over "Chinese Democracy" was massive, because it had taken so long, but I think if you figured it out, it might be at least 6 years of setbacks, plus the rehearsal and touring that had gone on for the past decade also meant they put a hold on working on songs in the studio.

The pressure's actually off GNR as far as follow-ups go. You're talking about a well-oiled machine plus some of them are experienced producers that will prob. make things go a lot faster. Axl is a frontman, but without a doubt, depends on those collaborations greatly. He can't do it all himself. I guarantee making CD has been an education the likes of which he's never had before, and never will again.

Now the pressure is to NOT make a recording that takes 15 years, and could see them having something ready by next year. The time between AFD to UYI was around 4 years, and that was considered a long time.

Plus there has to be a point where they want to stop doing "The Chinese Democracy Tour", because how long has it been going on under that name?

Once Axl says the next recording is ready, the record company will gladly start promoting it.

I don't think matters have much changed with the record company. Axl has burnt all his bridges. However, Chinese Democracy sold well and is still shifting copies, since the tour has been a success. A record that sells well is something that the record company obviously likes a lot.

I don't think there are a lot of demands for axl and his band from the part of the record company. The current album didn't have a good single on it and no real promotion yet it has sold in the millions and will keep selling as long as axl and the boys are touring.

But if there are recordings to be made at some point, you can bet your ass that axl and the boys will probably have to front their own cash to have the album recorded. Mind you, time at a top studio is not expensive at all if you have money like Axl does. Axl nearly bankcrupted geffen all on his own last time and it took him 13+ years to finish a very mediocre album with no hit singles, so the record company probably thinks that its a very bad idea to let Axl have an open check and no deadline to finish an album. Since no albums come out that way.

All of these guys probably have their own little home studios set up, so getting songs done is no problem at all for them. They don't require time at a "real" studio and what not.

Its probably more of a hassle to get song crediting right and such, if there ever is another album coming out.

Another thing is the next album will not sell nearly as many copies as CD, they will be lucky to crack 1 million. Hopefully there is enough tracks finished or near finished to put out with little hassle and money spent. Axl does have a home studio so adding DJ parts shouldn't really cost anything.

Another thing is the next album will not sell nearly as many copies as CD, they will be lucky to crack 1 million. Hopefully there is enough tracks finished or near finished to put out with little hassle and money spent. Axl does have a home studio so adding DJ parts shouldn't really cost anything.

Ashba most certainly has a home setup, bumble has one im 100% sure. pittman is a synthguy so he should also have one... no shortage of homestudios.