Why is Axl Late

fergus

I have Insomnia and before a sporting event or concert, I have Insomnia, even with sleeping meds I have a tought time to fall a sleep before a event so could this explain why Axl asks for a bed at the Arena, I would!! Hell if you cant sleep, you are not gonna give a good performance if your a singer or Dishwasher...

Thats my take on the whole Axl being late thing!! If I dont have a good night sleep, I am not as productive at work...

Axl Rose: The Rolling Stone Interview

Rolling Stone, April 2nd 1992, RS627

link: http://heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=56

Q: One thing that has people exasperated is the late show times. Why do you go on so late?

Axl: I pretty much follow my own internal clock, and I perform better later at night. Nothing seems to work out for me until later at night. And it is our show. I don't want to make people sit around and wait -- it drives me nuts. That hour-and-a-half or two-hour time period that I'm late going onstage is living hell, because I'm wishing there was any way on earth I could get out of where I am and knowing I'm not going to be able to make it. I'm late to everything. I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE.

Q: What goes on before you take the stage? What actually makes you late?

Axl: The chiropractor we work with on the road tapes my ankles professionally. I kept twisting my ankles during shows, and it still happens now and then. I have weak ankles, always have. I used to run cross-country, and that was one of the things that got in the way of that. So I work with a chiropractor. I work with a massage therapist, because I put a lot of stress in my lower back, and with what I do onstage, there's a lot of rebuilding that has to be done. There's operatic voice exercise. And I started therapy in February (1991) and, Jesus, I'm right in the middle of stuff. I mean, if a heavy emotional issue surfaces and you've got a show in four hours, you have to figure out how to get that sorted out really quick before you get onstage so that you're really quick before you get onstage so that you're not in the middle of "Jungle" and have a breakdown. The pressure of having to do the show when whatever else is going on in my life is hard to get past. We did a show in Finland where I just couldn't understand why I was doing what I was doing. I sat down while I was singing "Civil War," and I was kind of looking at my lips while I was singing and looking at the microphone and looking at the roadies, and everything just shut off. Well, that doesn't make for a very good show. We're out there to win at what we do. And if that means going on two hours late and doing a good show, I'm gonna do it. I take what I do very seriously.

If I have the choice at work from 3pm to 11pm or 7am to 3pm I choose Pm`s, I cant operate in the morning, its Hell!!

The worst part is wen I do sleep I have nightmares or anxiaty

Edited by fergus

Axl Rose: The Rolling Stone Interview

Rolling Stone, April 2nd 1992, RS627

link: http://heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=56

Q: One thing that has people exasperated is the late show times. Why do you go on so late?

Axl: I pretty much follow my own internal clock, and I perform better later at night. Nothing seems to work out for me until later at night. And it is our show. I don't want to make people sit around and wait -- it drives me nuts. That hour-and-a-half or two-hour time period that I'm late going onstage is living hell, because I'm wishing there was any way on earth I could get out of where I am and knowing I'm not going to be able to make it. I'm late to everything. I've always wanted to have it written in my will that when I die, the coffin shows up a half-hour late and says on the side, like in gold, SORRY I'M LATE.

Q: What goes on before you take the stage? What actually makes you late?

Axl: The chiropractor we work with on the road tapes my ankles professionally. I kept twisting my ankles during shows, and it still happens now and then. I have weak ankles, always have. I used to run cross-country, and that was one of the things that got in the way of that. So I work with a chiropractor. I work with a massage therapist, because I put a lot of stress in my lower back, and with what I do onstage, there's a lot of rebuilding that has to be done. There's operatic voice exercise. And I started therapy in February (1991) and, Jesus, I'm right in the middle of stuff. I mean, if a heavy emotional issue surfaces and you've got a show in four hours, you have to figure out how to get that sorted out really quick before you get onstage so that you're really quick before you get onstage so that you're not in the middle of "Jungle" and have a breakdown. The pressure of having to do the show when whatever else is going on in my life is hard to get past. We did a show in Finland where I just couldn't understand why I was doing what I was doing. I sat down while I was singing "Civil War," and I was kind of looking at my lips while I was singing and looking at the microphone and looking at the roadies, and everything just shut off. Well, that doesn't make for a very good show. We're out there to win at what we do. And if that means going on two hours late and doing a good show, I'm gonna do it. I take what I do very seriously.

This! Some people's circadian clocks don't operate on a set schedule, why not wait and put on the best show possible? the London 02 shows were killer! And since when are there rules in Rock? It's not the poor castrated bastard of a mighty genre that permeates the very airwaves on most radio,It's wild, untamed and a bit Dangerous and unpredictable, GNR represents it well imo

I guess we need to define late. To say he is late all the time is not correct if we don't know what time he is supposed to be on stage. None of my tix ever say the time of the headliner on them, so this whole he is late thing is hard to define for me at least

I guess we need to define late. To say he is late all the time is not correct if we don't know what time he is supposed to be on stage. None of my tix ever say the time of the headliner on them, so this whole he is late thing is hard to define for me at least

cmon, no one is denying hes late, even Axl himself, people just dont know why he is.

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

Actually I'm a power nap person. I have a 20min one before most things were possible. I'd sleep in your eye. I have often slept for 24 hours. Love it

If I was Axl I'd definitely go for a little snooze for 20mns then run out there and rock my fans with some Chinese Democracy

Late is defined by the time stamped on your ticket. If the band comes on later then that time, they are late.

Pretty easy huh?

so in my over 100 ticket stubs the time printed is the time the headliner should be on stage? Not sure about where you live but in Canada my ticket always has a time on it and it's for the door's, not headline. :shrugs:

For instance Guns N' Roses Hamilton ticket says 8:00PM it is only time on the ticket, and that is for the doors to open

Do other places say the time for headliners?

A true guru once told me that certain people operate better at certain times of the night. Thier peak time. Axl is one of those people. Axl's energies at thier peak during th hours btwen 1130-300am.

I can totally understand Axl. I have a different internal clock too. I love the silence of the night and than I am most productive. I hate mornings, I can't function at all. My body wakes up at 15.00 PM, it's hard to explain. So I have never hold it against him. But I know for other people it's really hard to understand and very irritating.

Edited by MBRose

I really think it mostly comes down to Axl's sleep schedule. I've been on vacation for a few weeks and I've been going to bed later and later. One night/day I even went to bed at 8 am. Axl's obviously not a morning person and he has the freedom to go to bed whenever he feels like it. I imagine it would be nearly impossible for him to alter his sleep schedule after all these years. Would you want to get up and do a rock concert before noon in your world?

'

Axl's late

cause he don't participate

In the endless cycles

of subhumanity

Axl's late

Cause he can't wait

To someday escape

This shackling insanity

(That we call reality)

Axl's late

Cause half the world is dead