Pearl Jam vs. Nirvana

Vincent Vega

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Len B'stard

I disagree sir, i think they're awful and not worthy of mention alongside great bands. I think perhaps they suffer from this too, as a standalone thing they're OK but OK to me is the kiss of death, i'd rather you were just deeply crap than OK. They're just rock-radio sounding bullshit. All the lame elements of 70s rock n roll condensed into this band purporting to be part of the little mans movement. They're the absolute worst of the grunge bands, a genre to which their worthy of being included in amongst is dubious at best. Not that that'd be an accolade. Now Mudhoney, there's a band :)

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

In my opinion, they are the second best band of the grunge bands, closely behind Nirvana, and long ahead of the third, Soundgarden.

Guest Len B'stard

See, what i expect when we're finally, by the grace of God, given something in the mainstream that is meant to be an alternative to it or something different is for that difference to be pronnounced, a serious and startling departure from the shit thats around because when it's all said and done, to me at least, thats whats great or what should be great about these sorts of movements so when i hear bands like Pearl Jam i feel kinda short-changed. They're not bad as in awful but...to me they're just weak, i wanna hear chainsaw motorcycle rev guitar sound, i wanna hear sludge, i wanna hear pounding drums...i don't particularly wanna hear anything specific except that it be raw and earnest and something that makes me sit up and notice, something that makes me go "what the fuck is that?" and PJ never did that for me, they just sounded like...arena rock to me...and samey middle of the road arena rock at that.

Just my opinion though. I wanna hear fuckin cheap fucked up guitars vibrating out of sliced up speaker cones that sound like they've been recorded in a sealed iron tank when i hear Seattle music. Fuckin Scratch Acid is how grunge shoulda sounded.

like so :)

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I can see what you mean, but I will still hold that they are a great band, even though they are a technically more skilled band and aren't as rough as the others. Ten is a marvellous album.

• 3 weeks later...

I can see what you mean, but I will still hold that they are a great band, even though they are a technically more skilled band and aren't as rough as the others. Ten is a marvellous album.

i go along with SS here, but that Cannibals track was fucking great. i loved the heavy grinding guitars. i guess PJ and Nirvana were just so much more accessible than so many other underground grunge bands. at least here they were. But they became the best commercial alternative.. and i take pJ slightly ahead of Nirvana.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Len B'stard

I'm going with Nirvana so SugarGayFemme has to switch sides. <_<

There's easier ways to get my attention dear

Yes, but waving something shiny at you demeans us both.

*gasp* is it a golden ticket Grandma Bucket? :D:D

Guest Len B'stard

Nirvana.

I really want to like Pearl Jam, and have given most of their albums a chance, but... It doesn't work for me.

Thats probably because, if your avatar and sig are anything to go by, you have good taste :)

Nirvana

Pearl Jam is so fuckin bad, i really have no clue what the big deal is about them...

I think calling nirvana honest is hilarious. One of the most fashioned personalities of all time.

Couldn't agree more with this, as much as I dig Nirvana.

I like Nirvana, but I would much rather listen to Pearl Jam.

As musicians, everyone in PJ does musically more interesting stuff IMO. Every album is different and they are not afraid to change their sound even if it means alienating a certain audience

The more and more musical experience I have the more I gravitate towards the more experimental PJ rather than the punk vibe from Nirvana