Who was more important/more talented in GN'R?

Vincent Vega

80 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Both, but with out Slash, Guns would be like a garage band like Hollywood Rose nowdays (or something like that). If GNR sounded bluesy and heavy was because of Slash style. So, Axl was imporatnt to the Guns image and the message of the lyrics, but Slash defined the style of Guns n' Roses, that's why when he left, Guns lost his reconized sound.

Cannot agree with your point about Axl's importance. Axl's voice was very different from the typical stuff being pumped out in the rock business at that time. Extremely unique voice. His voice was more important than his image by a long shot. As far as GN'R losing something, Izzy was a monumental loss. He was the one who would write the basic tracks to begin with and then everyone else would add to them. Without Izzy, they lost the heart of their songwriting. I feel GN'R died when he left in 1991. Axl, Slash, and Duff attempted to cover up the loss for as long as possible by touring for 2 more years, but it was just a mirage. When it came time to write new material, they were fucked.

Edited by GNRfan2008

Guest Len B'stard

How on earth do you quantify talent from two different fields? Thats like asking if Arnold Schwarzenegger was a better bodybuilder than Muhammad Ali was a boxer.

I think one of the reasons, actually the main reason Guns N' Roses was such a powerful force in the music world was because Axl and Slash had the potential to be such huge icons at their respected role's as musicians (frontman/guitarist), and everybody knew it at the time. They instantly came off the way Page and Plant, Jagger and Richards, Tyler and Perry and so on and so on. They really were the worlds next big rock band, the sum was greater than the individual parts, but the focal point was the vocals and lead guitar, don't think anybody would argue otherwise. That said, I really do believe they are equally important in GNR, and that's why since they have split "GNR" has been such a slumpy band. The new guitar players are great guitar players, but none of them come close to matching the legendary energy that people often rank in the same category as some of the greatest bands of all time. That's what you got with Axl and Slash, even when they were at eachothers throats. That might have even been fueling it, who knows. All I know is that when I listened to Guns N' Roses nobody really stood out to me more than the other, I just loved it all so much.

Null vote

Edited by sweetness

Axl and Izzy made a tremendous writing team and could have/did conquer the sunset strip.

The problem with your theory is before Slash and Steven joined Axl and Izzy had yet to come up with any epic songs and they had not yet "conquered" Sunset Strip.. As a matter of fact they were struggling to get bottom billing playing weeknights never mind headlining weekends which they eventually did after Slash and Steven completed the band and they played their first show together , June 6th 1985, at the Troubadour as the AFD era GnR. Even then they were not weekend headliners and had to work their way up to 'conquering" Sunset Strip.

Based on the evidence in Marc Canters incredible book GnR before Slash and Steven GNR was just another struggling band trying to make a name for themselves............

Yup....Axl is crap, we get it ClassicCrawker. Slash was GN'R and he wrote every single song, Axl just rode off his greatness. We get it buddy, we get it. Keep saying it.

Nope, what I said was GnR did not achieve greatness until Slash and Steven completed the band.......... GnR was Axl, Duff, Izzy, Slash and Steven...the sum was greater than the individual parts...it was true then and it is even more apparent today when you listen to the music they all made individually after the breakup...as good as the solo stuff is it does not come close to what they created as a band together...

Miser you are so blinded in your crusade to root out and expose antiNuGnR heretics and Axl haters you don't even bother to read other peoples posts anymore before you respond......Take the blinders off mate and see what others are actually saying in their posts instead of what you want to see to further your private agenda........

I was going to reply to his post in almost the exact fashion you did, instead I'll just now throw my weight behind it.

Im not so sure Axl was as important to getting the band off the ground as all of you like to think. They were definitely much better off with him until he decided to quit functioning (all the great bands have messy break ups) though. Without Axl the music on Appetite is probably still there for the most part. Jungle wouldnt be the same thing at all because Axl is what makes the song, SCOM wouldnt have happened because Axl is the only one who saw it going somewhere, Anything Goes obviously would be gone, but the others would all still be there for some other singer to fill in the spaces. If Slash is gone then Jungle is gone as he wrote most of the music, Nightrain would be gone, Brownstone would be gone, Paradise City would be gone, SCOM would be gone, and Rocket Queen would be gone. It goes without saying that both are necessary to make a great band, Slash just contributed more than Axl. Id go as far to say that Izzy was as, if not more, important than Axl. But they likely wouldnt have gotten anywhere if you are missing any of the three.

The main riff in My Michelle was all Axl's creation according to Izzy and he also wrote music on other songs besides just Jungle, SCOM and AG. I believe he helped with Paradise City, Nightrain and Rocket Queen and I may be forgetting some others.

As someone said above, I believe all 5 were important in creating the band.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...