Is Guns n Roses held to a double standard?

saber_

Clearly there is room for interpretation for this question, so feel free to tailor your response based on your own perception of the question and what it means to you.

Be your answer yes or no, do you believe GnR is held to a different standard than, say, other notable rock n roll bands? Why or why not?

It's not easy to compare GNR to other huge names. The whole story of what happened during the nineties and what didn't happen during the 00's is rather unique and amazing. Such highlights, such wastefulness, and tragic uncomfortable things.

You take a standard story of a band that got big and the subsequent fight with drug addictions and fears of growing old and they have got absolutely -nothing- on the story of GNR.

just a quick edit:

for me and my money, there are no standards in music, band life. Certain patterns have certainly emerged but I try to take every artist, every band, every album, every song as its own thing.

Edited by phaeryen

in what way?

This. What a terrible question. OP needs to explain how he thinks GNR are held to a double standard before we can actually discuss anything

Clearly there is room for interpretation for this question, so feel free to tailor your response based on your own perception of the question and what it means to you.

Be your answer yes or no, do you believe GnR is held to a different standard than, say, other notable rock n roll bands? Why or why not?

Good Question Mindsaber,althogh I'm heisitant to give a definitive answer,First you have the "mytholgy" that has surrounded,and continues to surround the group,that is in the equasion,secondly you have a band that :gasp: pushes back barriers,and refuses to play the nice accptable games that appease "most" of the warped society,and the sinking record labels,Personally I hope they keep on pushing limits,refusing to be bullied by "fans" as well as certain elements in the recording industry,have Never done things the way anyone else does them,I enjoy this immensley,as well as some of the more ignorant gripes and complaints posted repetitively on this very board,which won't alter my opinion and won't change

anything GNR does

technically as long as Stones roll without Brian Jones, it's a double standard for people overly criticize GNR. It's also just the one record so far, Chilis, Aerosmith, Faith No More, VH have all done this and continued to thrive. So much care and respect was put into CD that I think looking at what happened it's fine. It wasn't easy, but it's a great record.

Any other band that had such a small back catalog (with so much promise), that went through lineup changes, and damn near 2 complete decades of being UNPRODUCTIVE would get this treatment. Which isn't really 'criticism' as much as it is... disinterest.