Band working on new songs for Rio?

AxlIsGod.

Rio is special to Axl... GNR have been taking a "one-year vacation" (not the proper expression but you understand me), I doubt Axl has been sitting on his ass rehearsing the same songs for a year. Impossible.

I'm betting good money that he's spent the last months getting back to his best shape for Rio, slimer, different haircut or longer hair (he's very careful about his hair haha), and I'm pretty sure they'll play Chinese in its entirety or so, at least TWAT and/or Prostitute, and maybe a new song, or a very old song like Estranged. And of course This I Love will be a highlight of this show, they haven't played it live in Rio yet, same for Sorry, seems to me that Axl particularly enjoys those two live.

I'm really expecting a long show, 26-27 songs, and two or three songs rarely played live if not eve (The General or No love Remains and Estranged would be perfect imo). And an Axl madder than ever.

It's Axl's last huge opportunity to prove the world he exists better than ever and that you can still kick everyone else's ass when you're considered "old" or "has been", kind of like Rocky Balboa. He'll be 50 next year. He's still "young", he can still do it, I'm highly doubtful he'll still have it in 10 years but he's different from everyone else so who knows...

I'm sure this show will be wonderful whatever happens, having seen this line up last year live, they have no reason to fail Rio.

that sir was one of the most epic posts i have ever read ...

I was in the bumblefoot chat the other night and someone asked bumble if there were going to be any new songs at rio to which he replied after a long break "ahhh not sure but you can guarantee there will be plenty of old songs"

Hope I'm wrong, but I highly doubt it. From the interviews we've gotten so far, it's just gonna be another nostalgic run.

Nostalgic run? You mean like the concerts in 2010 where the majority of the set-list was comprised of old songs? What else would you expect from a band like GN'R with a back catalogue consisting of Appetite for Destruction and the Use Your Illusions albums? Do you seriously expect that GN'R anno 2010 should play more CD songs than old songs? Haha.

I bet the concert goers would be very happy GN'R only playing 3-4 old hits and focusing on such crowd-pleasers as Scraped and Riad ;). Or do you consider that playing songs from CD is a "nostalgic run" in itself, that 3 years old songs are"nostalgic runs"? Haha.

don't hold your breath...

Why?

Rio 1991

First Show

Pretty Tied Up

Mr. Brownstone

Patience

Godfather Theme

Double Talkin' Jive

Welcome To The Jungle

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Drum Solo

You Could Be Mine

It's So Easy

Guitar Solo

Civil War

Dead Horse

Sweet Child O' Mine

Estranged

Paradise City

Rio 1991

Second Show

Pretty Tied Up

Mr. Brownstone

Patience

Nightrain

Godfather Theme

Double Talkin' Jive

Welcome To The Jungle

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Drum Solo

You Could Be Mine

Civil War

Guitar Solo

Bad Apples

It´s So Easy

Rocket Queen

Sweet Child O´ Mine

Estranged

Paradise City

Rio 2001

1.Welcome to the jungle

2.It's so easy

3.Mr. Brownstone

4.Live and let die

5.Oh my God

6.Think about you

7.You could be mine

8.Robin Finck guitar solo (Sossego)

9.Sweet child o' mine

10.Knockin' on heaven's door

11.Madagascar

12.Guitar solo (Buckethead)

13.November rain

14.Out ta get me

15.Rocket queen

16.Chinese democracy

17.Buckethead guitar solo (Chicken binge)

18.Band jam

19.Street of dreams

20.Patience

21.Nightrain

22.Band jam

23.My Michelle

24.Silkworms

25.Paradise city

Rio 2006

1.Welcome to the jungle

2.It's so easy

3.Mr. Brownstone

4.I.R.S.

5.Robin Finck guitar solo (Finlandia)

6.Sweet child o' mine

7.Knockin' on heaven's door

8.Live and let die

9.Band jam

10.Dizzy Reed piano solo (Ziggy Stardust)

11.Street of dreams

12.I feel good (James Brown cover)

13.Rocket queen

14.Richard & Robin guitar solo (Beautiful)

15.Out ta get me

16.November rain

17.Guitar solo (Bumblefoot)

18.Better

19.Drum solo (Brian Mantia)

20.You could be mine

21.Patience

22.Guitar solo (Robin Finck)

23.Nightrain

24.Paradise city

Notice the trend? New songs are always played at Rio.

But less new tunes each time, hopefully they reverse that.

6 - 4 - 2 - ???

:(

I would expect more than 5-6 songs played every night from their first album in 15 years.

Only if CD had more than 5-6 good songs ;).

I guess it is a compromise between pleasing the audiences, playing the best songs regardless of their age, and promoting the last album. People will never agree on set-lists anyway :).

My point was just to argue against the "nostalgic run" reference. I feel that is unfair to a band that has toured heavily after their latest release and allows as much as 5-6 of these new songs to much better and legendary material. That is anything but "nostalgia", which would be to not release new music and/or just play old songs.

Misinterpretation plain and simple. Although I do believe they'll play atleast one new song, nowhere in this statement did Tommy give the notion that they're practicing new material. He's only stating band rehearsal is coming.

This but I don't believe they'll play anything new as much as I want to see it. If they did play something new live my interest in GnR will be elevated something chronic.