Guns N' Roses- 'Chinese Democracy' Album Review & Reflection

mustaine

GN'R posted this on their Facebook. They are really out on the internet now and promoting what they find.

Although they might be a bit too active. If you are a fan of say 50 bands on FB, you can't have them posting 10 times a day. Especially if you are not into the new band, it might be a bit annoying.

By the way I am giving CD another shot as we speak. My problem is a lot of Axl's vocals and the overproduction. And have I gotten this right, the very messy solos in Better and Shacklers are Ron's solos, and the last one in TWAT is Buckethead?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GN'R posted this on their Facebook. They are really out on the internet now and promoting what they find.

Although they might be a bit too active. If you are a fan of say 50 bands on FB, you can't have them posting 10 times a day. Especially if you are not into the new band, it might be a bit annoying.

By the way I am giving CD another shot as we speak. My problem is a lot of Axl's vocals and the overproduction. And have I gotten this right, the very messy solos in Better and Shacklers are Ron's solos, and the last one in TWAT is Buckethead?

Better - 1st solo is Buckethead, 2nd solo is Robin. Shackler's Revenge is Ron. TWAT - 1st solo is Robin, 2nd solo is Buckethead.

LOL, so a praise is "fanboyism" and not "objective" enough?

Im sorry, but too many here are trying to act very much like the non-hardcore fans: its not cool to be supportive or fully satified with something regarding the new band. Its like there is a need to have always anything against them.

IMHO, a review isnt supposed to be objective, thats totally impossible anyways. And being too cynical regarding anything that others could consider flawless is nothing but a bitter way to deal with your own taste.

The funny thing is that the review was actually a breath of fresh air after so many "the music is good, but.." kind of comment. And here we are again.

Im sorry, but too many here are trying to act very much like the non-hardcore fans: its not cool to be supportive or fully satified with something regarding the new band. Its like there is a need to have always anything against them.

IMHO, a review isnt supposed to be objective, thats totally impossible anyways. And being too cynical regarding anything that others could consider flawless is nothing but a bitter way to deal with your own taste.

The funny thing is that the review was actually a breath of fresh air after so many "the music is good, but.." kind of comment. And here we are again.

To each his own, I guess. I agree with his point that too many reviewers ignored the actual music and focused solely on the controversy. But it's stuff like this that bugs me: "One may feel that fourteen songs are too many to dedicate to the longing and loss of a relationship, but I’d say that anyone who says that has truly never loved." Really? Every song on CD is about "the longing and loss of a relationship"? Maybe that explains why he didn't understand "Catcher in the Rye".

My favorite review of Chinese Democracy was Chuck Klosterman's.

By the way, I just saw GNR in Atlanta and couldn't be more thrilled. I hope it's a sign of good things to come.

Edited by Verruckt

It isn't praise that's fanboyism. It's the way it was written. If earlier reviews had an anti-New Guns slant, then this one clearly (CLEARLY) tries too hard to argue in favor of Axl.

As I said, I loved Chinese Democracy. I consider it a fucking rock masterpiece. But that review was eye-rolling. It appears to have been written by some post-grad who thinks he's hot shit 'cause he knows words (to paraphrase a terrible movie).

He speaks of Axl as if he knows him, to the point of defense.

He says he can't forgive those who judge the record based on what they think it should be, but what if those people think it should be a Guns N' Roses record? It's clearly an Axl Rose record because he's the dictator in that "band." Everyone else is a revolving door of talent. It's Axl's own fault how people perceived Chinese Democracy. Gn'R is his own solo project. I think had Axl released the record under his own name, a lot more people would have been accepting of the material. He did himself a disservice.

But anyway, back to the music ...

I remember reading a review by Chuck Klosterman when CD first released, and found it to be a very good one and far more in the middle.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/chuck-klosterman-reviews-chinese-democracy,2539/

My favorite review of Chinese Democracy was Chuck Klosterman's.

By the way, I just saw GNR in Atlanta and couldn't be more thrilled. I hope it's a sign of good things to come.

Ha! Didn't see you also linked the same review before me.