• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This voice shit is getting old

How old is he for one?

He sound fucking awesome for his age.

Have your heard Vince Neil sing or any other ppl his age or older?

Someone should post clips how other dudes who were in their prime in the late 80's and early 90's sound nowadays. They will be surprised how great Axl sounds compared to them.

I don't think that unless you are a singer you can really know how hard it is to do what Axl does. I had my voice go barking dog at the 30 minute mark of our last gig, because I thrashed it like Axl does both weekends before. Sound guy won't give you enough in your foldback, and you push too hard, all of a sudden you aren't singing so much as trying to set up to hit notes. And that sucks cause you can't get into it as much. Throw in a cold etc. This guy is doing 3 hour sets at a really high range with a lot of aggression. Yes, I'd say he is laying off and preserving his voice. Cause if you thrash it one week, you can spend the whole week hoping it comes good for the next gig. It's not age - it's common sense and experience.

FACT: 2010 was WAY better than 2011 for Axl's voice. I really, really doubt that we'll ever be able to hear such epic vocals again...unfortunately.

FACT: He still sings VERY good and in a very controlled fashion - he's still a true to the legend frontman.

FACT: Age influences your voice, especially the ability to hit higher notes - could put here dozens of examples...

Edited by trqster

Your voices continues to deepen throughout your life. It doesn't stop at puberty. Listen to a clip of your voice from 25 and 35 and be amazed at how young and kid like you sounded like. Then do it again with 35 and 45.

What is it with this fucking 2010 voice Vs 2011 voice bollocks?!? His voice is exactly the same, he's a person not a Windows update.

Retards

Good point and I agree that it's not as big of a difference as a lot of people are making it out to be. However, if you listen to Nice Boys from 2010 and almost anything from this year, the "rasp" isn't as up front. I don't care and good for him for kicking ass even without rasp and having the power behind a clean voice. Whatever he needs to do to prolong the period where he's at the top of his game, I'm for it. Fuck the rasp I'm tired of hearing about it

I've only been to one show and I'm a frenetic Guns youtube viewer. I can still compare 2010 youtube and 2011 youtube and 2010 was better/stronger (FACT). It does sound though like he's getting better and better this year.

It's just funny what a bad memory (or whatever) some people have. 2006 was far from perfect in the beginning of that tour and even Rock am Ring has many quite weak performances (by Axl's standards).

I still don't get why he can never start a tour being in good shape these days. It can't be that hard. Play some fkn tennis/football or whatever. He seems to like running around. Fucking up RIO wasn't the best idea from a promo perspective.

Nothing really to be said that hasn't been already but there are some really good points in this topic.

He is doing 3 hours almost consistently while moving around on stage all night and hitting tons of high notes, there is something to be said for that. He sounds really good on a lot of the songs , just not as good as he did in 2010. To hear Jungle from this tour and some other tracks where he uses the rasp to perfection it's hard to argue that he isn't capable of using it anymore. The thing with 2010 is that he used that rasp almost all the time and was able to keep it up for the whole tour. Thats what I don't understand. For all the people saying that he's holding it back so he can do more shows, how/why was he able to do it in 2010 with full rasp and finish all the shows?

I went to Camden and really enjoyed the whole night, I'll take Guns anytime I can. However I saw them in 2010 and he did sound better there. Watching the clip that D has posted of "Nice Boys" and "You Could Be Mine" , I find it hard to believe how anyone can say the current versions sound better. Again though, I'll take Axl at this stage before I'd take anyone else on earth. And I really hope when/if he hits the studio again that he can use the classic voice we all love to hear.

And through it all, people need to remember we are talking about a PERSONAL preference by you!!!! Not a fact or a reality.

I personally love the so called mickey mouse voice. And wish he would use it more.

So that means you weren't a fan of Axl's voice from the beggining of GnR up to 93? :confused:

You guys keep forgetting that he has or just had bronchitis. That's why he doesn't sound exactly the same as last year. He's probably just trying to take care of his voice. Cut him some slack. We don't want him to end up like Robert Plant.

Edited by ITW 2012

And through it all, people need to remember we are talking about a PERSONAL preference by you!!!! Not a fact or a reality.

I personally love the so called mickey mouse voice. And wish he would use it more.

So that means you weren't a fan of Axl's voice from the beggining of GnR up to 93? :confused:

been a fan since 1987......you?

I guess I'm just a fan of the music. I don't get caught up in labels and nit picking every single detail to death.

Nothing really to be said that hasn't been already but there are some really good points in this topic.

He is doing 3 hours almost consistently while moving around on stage all night and hitting tons of high notes, there is something to be said for that. He sounds really good on a lot of the songs , just not as good as he did in 2010. To hear Jungle from this tour and some other tracks where he uses the rasp to perfection it's hard to argue that he isn't capable of using it anymore. The thing with 2010 is that he used that rasp almost all the time and was able to keep it up for the whole tour. Thats what I don't understand. For all the people saying that he's holding it back so he can do more shows, how/why was he able to do it in 2010 with full rasp and finish all the shows?

I went to Camden and really enjoyed the whole night, I'll take Guns anytime I can. However I saw them in 2010 and he did sound better there. Watching the clip that D has posted of "Nice Boys" and "You Could Be Mine" , I find it hard to believe how anyone can say the current versions sound better. Again though, I'll take Axl at this stage before I'd take anyone else on earth. And I really hope when/if he hits the studio again that he can use the classic voice we all love to hear.

Perhaps the fact that he kept up the raspy voice all throughout 2010 killed him AFTER the tour. Maybe the wear on his voice caught up with him and he said "Shit, I can't sing like this for a full tour again" or something like that, thus the decision to "reserve" the rasp for songs like Jungle and sing clean for other songs where it works. Not saying this definitely is the case, but it's a possibility.

Perhaps the fact that he kept up the raspy voice all throughout 2010 killed him AFTER the tour. Maybe the wear on his voice caught up with him and he said "Shit, I can't sing like this for a full tour again" or something like that, thus the decision to "reserve" the rasp for songs like Jungle and sing clean for other songs where it works. Not saying this definitely is the case, but it's a possibility.

Thats kind of what I was figuring as well. Only logical answer unless he is only getting healthy now. As for the mickey mouse voice i'm not sure how anyone who is used to the classic Axl voice could be alright with him sounding like that. Its not about nitpicking its about hearing the music that shaped your life sung the way you remember it. Not a totally different interpetation of it. When he used the mickey voice it did not sound like the Axl that brought most people to this board.