Mashup of Civil War Videos from Nashville

Verruckt

Watching all the great videos on YouTube of Civil War from the historic Nashville show, I got inspired to try combining my favorite parts (of both the performers and the audience reactions) into one crazy YouTube video. I have never attempted anything like this before so it took some time and research, but I managed to create something. This was done entirely with Windows Movie Maker and YouTube Downloader. I'm still amazed that something like this is even possible -- technology rocks. :shades:

The transitions can be a bit jarring at first because of the highly variable audio quality, but I think I got the timing right at least (or as close as I could get doing the editing by hand). Overlaying one audio track over the whole thing would probably make it seem more polished, but I don't think it would be as fun. That said, I would love to hear any feedback, positive or negative -- just try to keep it constructive. ;)

I used eight different video sources including my own, and I want to give full credit to everyone, so here are the YouTube users with links to their respective videos:

Estranged9 (

) (
)

slayze

(Stonewall Jackson on forum)

(TiedHands on forum)

(Verruckt on forum, aka me)

If I got any of that wrong or missed a forum member, let me know and I'll correct it ASAP. I'm doing this solely for my own enjoyment and learning, and hopefully the enjoyment of the GNR community.

So here we go!

Edited by Verruckt

I was thinking of uploading mine. I haven't watched the others to know if mine has any aspect better about it or not. During a lot of it I was way too shaky. It's 1080p though and the sound was good during most of it if I recall. Eh.

edit: by the way, good idea. I don't have time tow atch what you did yet, but will watch later. I had an idea of something to do as well if I get enough time.

Edited by GiveNuseR

:thumbsup:

Fantastic!

I've been watching these videos non stop over the last few days and this truly is an iconic performance and deserves this kind of a mashup.

My suggestion too echoes the ones previously made - go with one soundtrack - axlrosefan4life seems to have the best sound. But, his as well as some of the others' videos shake too much. If you edit those bits out and have just one sound track it would be killer.

Edited by The Archer

Thanks for the time you put into this. This is excellent and will be downloaded by me and I'm sure many others who were at the show. It's great that we have so many sources and we can see all the different perspectives. It is really an incredible video.

By the way, I am The Grigify on Youtube though I don't know if I qualify as a forum member here with my low post count. :unsure:

Thanks for the time you put into this. This is excellent and will be downloaded by me and I'm sure many others who were at the show. It's great that we have so many sources and we can see all the different perspectives. It is really an incredible video.

By the way, I am The Grigify on Youtube though I don't know if I qualify as a forum member here with my low post count. :unsure:

Thanks, I added your forum name to the post. Your video was one of my favorites -- you had a great angle on the stage. :)

That was awesome, really nice job!

My only recommendation would be to pick the best audio and stick with that throughout the song, then just mute the audio for the other shots so it's just one audio track.

I really enjoyed that.

When I get home tonight I'll see if I can make an alternate version that sticks mainly to one version of the audio. I really want the various audience reactions included though, since they tell the story of how unexpected and amazing it was. I literally had to cut and paste clips together using Windows Movie Maker, so there's no way to just mute certain parts -- each clip only has one audio track. I can probably overlay a single track over the main parts though. I'm sure there's a more sophisticated way of doing it, but I didn't have any money to spend on editing software, especially after that trip to Nashville. ;)

That was awesome, really nice job!

My only recommendation would be to pick the best audio and stick with that throughout the song, then just mute the audio for the other shots so it's just one audio track.

I really enjoyed that.

When I get home tonight I'll see if I can make an alternate version that sticks mainly to one version of the audio. I really want the various audience reactions included though, since they tell the story of how unexpected and amazing it was. I literally had to cut and paste clips together using Windows Movie Maker, so there's no way to just mute certain parts -- each clip only has one audio track. I can probably overlay a single track over the main parts though. I'm sure there's a more sophisticated way of doing it, but I didn't have any money to spend on editing software, especially after that trip to Nashville. ;)

To do it in Windows Move Maker, choose the video that has the audio track that you want to use. Drag that video down to the audio part and it will become just the audio. Then, you can lay other clips over the video area. The painstaking part (editing aside) is muting every last video clip. Hope this helps!

To do it in Windows Move Maker, choose the video that has the audio track that you want to use. Drag that video down to the audio part and it will become just the audio. Then, you can lay other clips over the video area. The painstaking part (editing aside) is muting every last video clip. Hope this helps!

Thanks man! I'll give it a shot and post the results, hopefully later tonight.

BTW just watched the videos of Civil War from Youngstown, and it sounded even tighter in parts. What I would give to be in Indy tonight! :) They should do Perfect Crime in honor of that awesome video from Indy in '91, now that would be awesome.

I posted it in a different thread but in case anyone is still watching this one, here is the alternate version with consistent audio. I thought it came out pretty damn good:

"If this is Civil War I'm gonna shit my pants!"

"Holy shit! Holy shit!"

Priceless. :lol:

Good work on the video! Glad I was able to help out on the audio. ;)