Axl's Voice

Paulywauly

I know there's been a few topics on this but, as a singer myself im very curious as to why he sings some songs with such a weak voice, especially rocket queen on the 2011 tour, where in 2010 he was singing it with such rasp and aggression which is the only way that song should be sung, very weird. He clearly still can sing like that though because he does on jungle and the acdc covers. Just find it quite strange.

I know there's been a few topics on this but, as a singer myself im very curious as to why he sings some songs with such a weak voice, especially rocket queen on the 2011 tour, where in 2010 he was singing it with such rasp and aggression which is the only way that song should be sung, very weird. He clearly still can sing like that though because he does on jungle and the acdc covers. Just find it quite strange.

Maybe just reserving his voice for ones he really needs it for?

If he can't do it all the time then pick the ones that need it type deal.

He's had some sort of infection no? It could have an effect on your voice for an extended amount of time.

And singing all songs with full power is impossible with that touring schedule and length of shows. The voice is a muscle and will get tired just like any other muscle.

I could be due to various factors such as mood, health, ill-prepared vocal cords etc.

We know Axl's very emotional and it seems like its hard from him to sing a song if he's not into it at the time (why he would not deviate from the set list and sing another song in 2011 is beyond me).

Couls be that he has throat problems. He often sounds like he has a bad cold or simply "lost his voice" in quite a few of the 2011 recordings.

Also sometimes the problem can be that the vocal cords are prepared for certain pitched singing only (such as singing high notes but then messing up the low notes). GnR songs have a stupidly massive range and I've noticed that even though Axl often nails WTTJ, Shackler's revenge and other high pitched songs but falters at songs with slightly lower/medium pitched songs.

At least that's my look on it :shrugs:

I often find that to sing Axl's songs I have to destroy my voice to make it sound right. I don't smoke or drink often and as a girl my voice is ridiculously clean so I usually had to drink heavily before performing a song such as Nightrain or Rocket Queen. So maybe his voice has changed because he doesn't smoke anymore? Or drink that heavily anymore?

Or perhaps its just age?

It's probably all the factors named. Age, throat problems, length of the shows, huge range of pitches he has to hit, personal habits such as whether or not he's drinking, smoking, and rehearsing.

This, especially the lack of smoking bit. "Mickey mouse " started in 2001. Idk when he stopped smoking but we know he smoked during the "old days"

The shows last 3 hours so I guess it is impossible for a singer to sing perfect during the three hours. Maybe Axl controls his voice in order to dose it throughout all the show. I don´t know, I´m not a singer and I have no idea of singing skills, this is just what I think.

The shows last 3 hours so I guess it is impossible for a singer to sing perfect during the three hours. Maybe Axl controls his voice in order to dose it throughout all the show. I don´t know, I´m not a singer and I have no idea of singing skills, this is just what I think.

The shows last 3 hours, but Axl takes a ton of breaks. The 3 hours isn't the problem. I'm sure if you broke it down he actually uses vocals quite a bit less that even 2 hrs? I'd say it's his age and the range/rage/energy needed for his songs.

If the 3 hours are the problem, then they shouldn't be playing for 3 hours. Longer is not always better, and when it comes to concerts 3 hours + openers + delays are exhausting to say the least, and probably only preferable for hardcore fans. If a 2 hour show could be done with a great voice there is no excuse for not doing it.