Filmore a bad show?

saades

I was at the show. I thought the performance was great. The biggest problem was how late Axl came on. Most of the fans now are people in their late 30's and into their 40's. There are some younger fans, but it is really, really hard for most normal people to stay focused and have energy at 2:30 AM without doing lines in the bathroom.

Seriously, I was dragging and I couldn't enjoy it. I thought they were spot on. I thought the band sounded awesome. But Axl didn't go on until midnight. And he played 3 hours plus. That would have been awesome if I was 22 years old with no kids, no job and the ability to sleep in. The problem is that when I've just had a full work day where I woke up at 6 AM and it is 2:30 and I have been jumping up and down for 2 and a half hours, I'm wiped out. I just couldn't hang, period.

Also, the solos are a bit much. There were at least 4 breaks for solos. I realize Axl needs a break and I get it....but it was still annoying sitting through Bumblefoot's "Pink Panther" and especially Dizzy Reed's long piano solo.

I thought DJ Ashba's solo was absolutely awesome.

My biggest criticism is that it would be really great for the fans if Axl came on closer to 10 PM. Hell, even 11 PM is manageable. But midnight for a show until 3 AM is just brutal...

I get that, but why don't you take a day off work the next day at least? You know how Guns are!

"I get that, but why don't you take a day off work the next day at least? You know how Guns are!"

Good point....it's not the next day that's a problem as much...it's the fact that I'm dragging by 2 AM the day of the shwo. Best case would be to take a long nap the day of the show so you are rested and can hang in there. I drank a couple Red Bull and Vodka's but it didn't really help.

When you have little kids it isn't easy to just do what you want....those little bastards are up early every morning.

"I get that, but why don't you take a day off work the next day at least? You know how Guns are!"

Good point....it's not the next day that's a problem as much...it's the fact that I'm dragging by 2 AM the day of the shwo. Best case would be to take a long nap the day of the show so you are rested and can hang in there. I drank a couple Red Bull and Vodka's but it didn't really help.

When you have little kids it isn't easy to just do what you want....those little bastards are up early every morning.

Haha, I can't imagine. But isn't Guns supposed to be this night time band? It would be less appealing to me if Axl just became this nice guy, do what we ask for-type of guy. I mean...the bigger picture would be more boring, no?

Having not experienced one of these 3 hour shows, which do sound a bit long, it sounds like Axl spends a lot of time off stage leaving it to the others to fill in with solo stuff. Maybe for Axl he is doing a 2 hour show spread over 3 hours. I bet the band feels fucked after 3 hours. Can you imagine being on stage for 3 hours! 1 to 2 hours is better if it means Axl on stage the whole time without all the filler.

Edited by vaida

I found a nasty report about filmore show

In concert: Guns N' Roses at Fillmore Silver Spring

By Chris Richards

Guns N' Roses stepped onto the Fillmore Silver Spring stage a few ticks after midnight on Friday morning and didn't pack it up until 3:04 a.m.

It wasn't a rock concert. It was a hostage situation.

Where did these guys even find the gall to call themselves Guns N' Roses? Led by the band's only original member, frontman Axl Rose, this unfocused eight-man crew pranced and preened with the enthusiasm and talent of a tribute band. For three torturous hours, the guys sucked the life force from some of the most anthemic rock songs ever written — "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Paradise City" and "November Rain" among them.

To call it a train wreck wouldn't be right. Train wrecks are fast and violent. This was like being stuck in gridlock traffic behind a garbage truck in August.

Since Guns N' Roses' beloved original lineup dissolved in the mid-'90s, Rose has become a master of this brand of showbiz sadism. In order to bask in his mediocrity, we must wait. Fans stuck around for 15 years as the man tinkered with "Chinese Democracy," the 2008 opus that only proved how far he had fallen. Now, at age 50, Rose is touring with this version of Guns N' Roses as the band prepares to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April.

Dreamers dreamed that this warm-up tour of relatively intimate club dates might include some of the band's early members — guitarists Slash and Izzy Stradlin, bassist Duff McKagan, drummer Steven Adler — that fantastic collision of characters that made Guns N' Roses so magnetic 25 years ago when its album "Appetite For Destruction" gave rock-and-roll its last massive injection of sex and danger.

Instead, Rose has surrounded himself with sloppy, unimaginative players that make him sound dated, safe and sexless. They had no command of pace or rhythm on Friday morning. Drum fills were dashed off. Guitar leads were hurried. And anytime Rose left the stage for one of the dozens of breathers he took throughout the set, the band would wander off into instrumental dead zones, as if trying to discover the intersection of pathetic and insulting. (They found it during a three-minute guitar solo over the "Pink Panther" theme.)

Vocally, Rose sounded battered but not beaten. His indelible screeching — half bird of prey, half race car brake pad — was never expected to last for a lifetime, but his voice sounded stronger than it should.

And he made up for any botched notes with those iconic moves, furiously pacing the stage, leaning against phantom walls, doing that snakey thing with his hips. His physicality was the only thing connecting him to a more glorious past.

So why did he keep leaving the stage? It only served as a repeated reminder of the Guns N' Roses we weren't seeing.

The evening's primary stench emanated from Frank Ferrer's drum kit as he carelessly let the songs slip out of focus. It felt most egregious during the finale of "November Rain," as he turned those riveting rat-a-tat snare hits into lazy thwickity-thwacks.

More embarrassing: the Slash pantomime performed by guitarist DJ Ashba. He seems to have been hired for his ability to wear a top hat, play a Les Paul and smoke cigarettes simultaneously.

Even the group's most veteran members — bassist Tommy Stinson and pianist Dizzy Reed — failed to bring dignity to these songs. Back to noodling at Guitar Center, all of you!

"Ya' hangin' in there?" Rose asked before "Shackler's Revenge," a song from "Chinese Democracy" that even fans in "Chinese Democracy" T-shirts seemed annoyed by. It was 1:59 a.m. Another 65 minutes to go.

A distended version of "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" was followed by the evening's only real stage banter: Rose reminiscing about the legendary Baltimore rock club Hammerjacks. "I remember Maryland," he told the thinning crowd. Yet somehow, this non-story felt endearing, reminding us that there was human being up there trying to be great again. Stockholm syndrome had officially set in. Encore! Encore!

Exhausted applause at 2:31 a.m. earned the audience another gratuitious guitar solo interlude, two more tunes from "Chinese Democracy," the acoustic ballad "Patience" — irony! — and the band's signature, "Paradise City."

Fans sang along with new zeal, perhaps realizing the song's double-time finale meant their freedom: "Take me down the paradise city / Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty / Oh, won't you please take me home?"

Yes, yes, yes. Let's all get home safely and quickly. Tomorrow, we start trying to forget this night ever happened

:thumbsdown:

so people if you went to filmore tell me it was a bad show?

Maybe Vince Neal has turned to journalism??

Nah, he is doing commercials for "KIA"

I'm thinking Mick Wall has a new job.

The second review was probably a pretty accurate one.

Great line in it

"Still, it's clear that while he may not need his old bandmates to play a Guns N' Roses show, he certainly needs their old songs."

How can you judge how accurate a review was? I mean, it wasn't over the top negative and obviously biased due to the fact the old band wasn't there, but it's hard to judge the accuracy of a review of a show not attended :shrugs:

Ali

Are you really that dense?

You can't get a feel for a review simply by reading it?

The reviewer talked about actual songs, about how the band played, he didn't appear to have a bias. I can't believe I have to explain this to you.

Is your head so far up your hero's ass that you feel the need to find an issue with any poster who has said something negative about him?

YOU yourself judged how accurate the initial reviewer was. So apparently only Nutters are allowed to judge the accurace of a review. :thumbsup:

So,now you've dropped the pseudo-intellectual guise and you have entered the realm of cluelessness?

If you will peruse Ali's posts you may see he is precise and logical in his responses,not "dense" in the least.

Us "Nutters" at least know how to use the word "accuracy".

I tweeted to him. "Your GnR review sucked. Sorry you went a gig you'd already written off but that don't excuse a misleading piss poor review."

Remember the "Tim Butters" whacko that was berating GNR in every post? Turned out he was a part-time "sports reporter" for some unheard of town overseas, I sent some of his posts into his employer,suggested his activities were refections of what a repugnant,Daily-News,type paper they must be.

Haven't heard from him in a while :lol: