How profitable would an original lineup reunion really be?

Madridista

A one-off tour I could see being profitable. After that, I think it would just be a nostalgia act to most of the population. People would still bitch about setlists, late starts, solo spots/jams/covers, and soon it wouldn't be a whole lot different than right now.

A one-off tour I could see being profitable. After that, I think it would just be a nostalgia act to most of the population. People would still bitch about setlists, late starts, solo spots/jams/covers, and soon it wouldn't be a whole lot different than right now.

Doubt it. The effect of a reunion could carry them over for a few years. I don't recall people bitching over setlists and solo spots when they were still together. It was all about the late starts. People nitpick now because the show is bland with a lot of bland band members. A reunion is too spicy for the generic complaining.

Axl has been touring the same setlist for, what like, 10 years now? and is still drawing well outside the U.S. so why would you think the real Guns would not draw huge crowds for years if they reunited? I could even see them drawing big crowds here in the U.S....Shit Aerosmith has been on a greatest hits tour for 10years now and still drawing decently so don't see the real guns not packing tem in........

Doubt it. The effect of a reunion could carry them over for a few years. I don't recall people bitching over setlists and solo spots when they were still together. It was all about the late starts. People nitpick now because the show is bland with a lot of bland band members. A reunion is too spicy for the generic complaining.

So it's not okay if Dizzy, Richard, DJ, and Ron take solo spots but suddenly it's okay for Slash and Izzy to on top of that fucking dreadful drum solo used to do on the UYI tour? That's the exact point I'm trying to make; it's not like these solo spots and instrumental jams and quasi-covers only started happening from 2001 on, but no one ever complains about the old band doing all the same stuff :rolleyes:

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

So it's not okay if Dizzy, Richard, DJ, and Ron take solo spots but suddenly it's okay for Slash and Izzy to on top of that fucking dreadful drum solo used to do on the UYI tour? That's the exact point I'm trying to make; it's not like these solo spots and instrumental jams and quasi-covers only started happening from 2001 on, but no one ever complains about the old band doing all the same stuff :rolleyes:

You know, back in the days, except from the drum solo, the solo spots were actually pretty good. Not to mention that both Duff and Izzy could sing on their own and did so. This was good GNR songs too, so you don't have to bring up that Tommy and BBF sing thier own boring songs that nobody cares the least about. Except from the drum solo, none of the solos back in the days were as boring as the ones we have these days. Duff's bass solo was amazing, as was the blues jam and Slash's guitar solo.

I don't think fans of the band would ever complain about a Slash or a Matt/Steven solo. It's just not the same thing.

You know, back in the days, except from the drum solo, the solo spots were actually pretty good. Not to mention that both Duff and Izzy could sing on their own and did so. This was good GNR songs too, so you don't have to bring up that Tommy and BBF sing thier own boring songs that nobody cares the least about. Except from the drum solo, none of the solos back in the days were as boring as the ones we have these days. Duff's bass solo was amazing, as was the blues jam and Slash's guitar solo.

Thats all beside the point I was making though. Regardless of what people think of the content of the solos/jams, people always complain about how there's too much of it, but its no more than was happening back on the UYI tour. That's all I'm gonna say on it, because I wasn't looking to turn this into a current band/old band debate. I gave my opinion why I don't think a reunion would be successful beyond one tour (Without new material), and I wasn't looking to start anything with those comments.

Oh, I agree. If the original lineup were to reunite, they'd need to write new material as soon as that reunion tour was over.

They can tour 4 years in a row playing songs from apettite till spaguetti.And would be as great as rolling stones.SURE.

Slash said I think on Piers Morgan's show that he was offered over 7 figures to reunite. My guess is around 2006 when the reunion rumor came out. If someone wants them to reunite that badly I'm sure it would be profitable.

Edited by californiaz06

Slash said I think on Piers Morgan's show that he was offered over 7 figures to reunite. My guess is around 2006 when the reunion rumor came out. If someone wants them to reunite that badly I'm sure it would be profitable.

They could have a billion dollar payday doing a 2 year tour.

Maybe half that but I doubt a billion considering the Stones last tour grossed about half a billion and U2's grossed 750 Mill...which is the top grossing tours of all time..that would be hard top........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_concert_tours

Maybe half that but I doubt a billion considering the Stones last tour grossed about half a billion and U2's grossed 750 Mill...which is the top grossing tours of all time..that would be hard top........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_concert_tours

I think U2 and the Stones spend a lot on production, which is part of why Madonna's shows are ridiculously high. Bon Jovi and Bruce are pretty basic in comparison, but Bon Jovi's all about the money. The only argument about live music now is outing people who lip sync and have the audacity to charge money to see them in arena and pay hundreds of dollars for a glorified Vegas show.

this

• 2 weeks later...