LAURA LONDON "Once Upon A Time...Axl Rose Was My Neighbor"

Tabitha27

http://www.artweek.com/art-events/laura-london-once-upon-timeaxl-rose-was-my-neighbor

LAURA LONDON

"ONCE UPON A TIME...AXL ROSE WAS MY NEIGHBOR"

OPENING RECEPTION: SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 29 | 8PM - MIDNIGHT

PRESS PREVIEW: SEPTEMBER 29 | 4PM - 7PM

Acclaimed Fine Art Photographer LAURA LONDON solo show opens at Coagula Curatorial Gallery September 29 and runs thru October 21, 2012.

Opening Reception is September 29, 8 PM - Midnight

Press Preview is that afternoon, 4 - 7 PM

Coagula Curatorial is pleased to announce the presentation of a solo show of new art by Los Angeles fine art photographer LAURA LONDON. Entitled Once Upon A Time...Axl Rose Was My Neighbor, the exhibit explores the fine line between constructed narrative and documentary, private portraiture and celebrity posing, and, most intensely, melodrama juxtapozed with the all out rock and roll lifestyle.

The exhibition will mix actual documentary photographs of a circa 1990 graffiti vandalization of the residence of Erin Everly by her then-husband Axl Rose with Londons studio and location recreations and interpretations of the main characters in the story †the rock star Axl Rose, his wife Erin Everly, his former girlfriend Stephanie Seymour, Slash (the lead guitarist in the band) and the classic lineup from the Guns N Roses album, Appetite for Destruction.

Professional makeup artists, fine artists and hair stylists were hired to apply the transfers, paint on the tattoos, make up the models and style the hair to resemble the characters in the band. The artist did the styling, costumes and set design herself. Line drawings were made for transfers based on the tattoos of the characters.

The exhibit will feature large-scale 40x40 and 20x20 photographs shot on 2 ¼ film using natural and tungsten light and a 10-foot wall mural printed on vinyl. There is also a salon style wall of photographs that include behind the scenes, close up details and other media inspired pictures printed in various sizes. The installation of the work tells a story, a visual narrative and the experience of seeing the photographs as an exhibition reads similar to viewing a film.

Ms London explains, My studio practice explores issues of identity, youth and contemporary culture. Similar to a social anthropologist, I observe people and social situations. My work comes from a combination of personal experience, memory, observation and imagination. Axl Rose Was My Neighbor is a docudrama based on an interpretation and depiction of actual events.

Edited by Tabitha27

NOOOOOOOO! mods, please don't let sailaway derail this thread into another argument about whether or not axl is justified in abusing women.

let's talk about this art show instead. anyone else live in LA? i'm totally going. and i bet i could get a few friends to go too.

I was responding to a statement,personally this "Art show" is a bit exploitive,and reminds me of "Gorillas in the mist".

Scod.jpg

Full photo...

From here.. (and dated 2009!)

Yup,same woman been exploiting that for years.

So what exactly is this?

A moneymaking scam perpetuated by the same scam artist for years.

Thanks for advertising that Tabitha.

Here's the first time she exploited it.

Visual Artist Laura London is premiering a new exhibit titled "Axl Rose Was My Neighbor."

Here is the story behind this picture.

"Well, that's a funny story because actually he was my neighbor in Los Angeles in the late 1980's, early 90's. I was living in Laurel Canyon, an area of Los Angeles, and at the time he was married to Erin Everly.

There was a Rock journalist, who lived behind me in the guesthouse, and Axl Rose lived two houses up the hill. I was hearing stories about him and different things that happened all the time from this journalist, but I didn't really see him.

Then one day I heard they were having a fight and that he threw the wedding ring in the bushes - and that he graffitied his garage. He took the lyrics from his song and then he twisted it because he was having a fight with his wife at that time.

So I took a photograph because it was just like this sick poetry. I guess being in Los Angeles it was just funny at that time…tragic, but it was also funny.

And I took a photograph of it and his wife came home, when I was shooting and she's asked: 'Who are you working for?' and I replied: 'I'm not working for anyone,' because I don’t do paparazzi. And then I put the photograph away.

I think I showed it to my art dealer and I showed it to my brother and that was it. It was kind of this joke that he was my neighbor and I just put it away for years.

Then I was thinking about what to do for my next series. After the 'Rock Star Moment' series was well received and critically successful in the gallery venues, I wanted to further that idea. Each series grows organically out of the previous series with my work.

I produced a permanent public art installation for the MTA in Los Angeles (Metropolitan Transportation Authority) dealing with locations of rock n' roll history. I expanded my level of production to execute that project by using an assistant/intern, scouting locations, and working like a filmmaker. So I took that method from working on the grant project and incorporated it for another series.

I made a whole series of work based on this sick graffiti from Axl Rose's song, 'Sweet Child O’ Mine,' and did a whole new series of images and portraits, constructed just inspired me tp blah,blah,blah.

Edited by sailaway

This chick is trying to cash in on something from 20 years ago. Pretty pathetic. At least be timely with your 'art', and that's using the term loosely. People are so gross.

Yes- but it's fun watching the defenders come out again. "Yeah, well it was in the heat of the moment"...and "noone died" etc...it's sad. Some peeps just don't get it. I mean how does it cross an adults mind to vandalize/threaten (sick threat too) or beat any chick? And then how does it cross anothers mind to "yeah but" it?

This chick is trying to cash in on something from 20 years ago. Pretty pathetic. At least be timely with your 'art', and that's using the term loosely. People are so gross.

Yes- but it's fun watching the defenders come out again. "Yeah, well it was in the heat of the moment"...and "noone died" etc...it's sad. Some peeps just don't get it. I mean how does it cross an adults mind to vandalize/threaten (sick threat too) or beat any chick? And then how does it cross anothers mind to "yeah but" it?

I wouldn't describe it as fun, I'd say sad. I've never been mad enough at a significant other to spray paint bullshit.

I remember when this was first posted, and somebody said 'What does SWT mean?' and someone said, 'I belive the word is "slut."' :lol:

Recreating in photographic form, private events that have no impact or meaning to the outside world is not art. It's bullshit. It's crass. It's pathetic and it's intrusive. Has this woman no integrity? Obviously not.

:rolleyes:

In full view of the public. He's a public figure, of course it's going to be of interest; nevermind the nature of it.