Which songs are synonymous with your childhood?

bacardimayne

I'm sure everyone has some songs that they heard when they were growing up that they now find synonymous with their childhoods. Which are yours?

Mine, unfortunately, are:

These all came out in the 1999-00 range when I was 7-8 years old.

As shitty as these songs all are, I still go back and enjoy them, simply because they make me feel like a kid. You guys?

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 1

Michael Jackson: Beat It, Billie Jean & Thriller.

Wham: Wake Me Up Before You Go Go.

A-ha: Take On Me & The Sun Always Shines On TV.

Guns N Roses: Sweet Child o Mine & Paradise City.

All pretty much from my early - mid teenage years. Love them all still. :heart:

Guest Len B'stard

Outside of like personal taste you mean? Like songs that were around a lot when you were growing up?

Two Princes - Spin Doctors

Opposites Attract - Paula Abdul and a rabbit

Dub Be Good to Me - Beats International

Hallelujah - The Happy Mondays

Outside of like personal taste you mean? Like songs that were around a lot when you were growing up?

Two Princes - Spin Doctors

Opposites Attract - Paula Abdul and a rabbit

Dub Be Good to Me - Beats International

Hallelujah - The Happy Mondays

If they happen to be, yes. Just songs that you heard a lot as a kid and as a result, whenever you hear them, they remind you of your childhood.

Guest Len B'stard

And Aqua songs.

Shouldn't that be Kal-Ku-Ta on the lyric sheet thing? :lol: Also, bit of useless trivia for you, the bit where the song goes kala kala kuta kuta kuta, hey oh, hey oh, that bit? Kala Kuta literally translates as 'black dog' :lol: I have no idea why i told you that :lol:

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

Shouldn't that be Kal-Ku-Ta on the lyric sheet thing? :lol: Also, bit of useless trivia for you, the bit where the song goes kala kala kuta kuta kuta, hey oh, hey oh, that bit? Kala Kuta literally translates as 'black dog' :lol: I have no idea why i told you that :lol:

It's just a Swedish guy making fun of the stereotype for Indians. :lol: It was the biggest and most popular song here in like 1998.

Here's another one I love from the 90's:

This was the biggest hip hop song in Sweden in the 90's. So terrible.

Guest Len B'stard
It's just a Swedish guy making fun of the stereotype for Indians. It was the biggest and most popular song here in like 1998.

Yeah, i know, it got a fair bit of notice here too. I'm suprised how they got away with it i.e. why there weren't no controversy. Not that i want some or think it would've been a good thing it's just, Jesus, what other race can you get away with taking the piss out of like that? Imagine if that was the fuckin' Gollywog comin' off the jam jar singing songs about picking cotton, people'd lose their fuckin' mind.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt
It's just a Swedish guy making fun of the stereotype for Indians. It was the biggest and most popular song here in like 1998.

Yeah, i know, it got a fair bit of notice here too. I'm suprised how they got away with it i.e. why there weren't no controversy. Not that i want some or think it would've been a good thing it's just, Jesus, what other race can you get away with taking the piss out of like that? Imagine if that was the fuckin' Gollywog comin' off the jam jar singing songs about picking cotton, people'd lose their fuckin' mind.

Agreed, it's amazing that they managed to do that. It is a bit racist, I suppose, but it was hilarious. I wish people would have some self distance these days.

What did you think about the hiphop video? :lol: It's so awful. Yet better than 99.9% of the hiphop crap that's been produced.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Guest Len B'stard

Agreed, it's amazing that they managed to do that. It is a bit racist, I suppose, but it was hilarious. I wish people would have some self distance these days.

What did you think about the hiphop video? :lol: It's so awful. Yet better than 99.9% of the hiphop crap that's been produced.

No i didn't, i'm at work now so i ain't got speakers but i'm really interested in that stuff. We have a lot of eastern europeans here in England and i notice they all have their own homegrown hip hop, like Polish Hip Hop etc etc and to be honest it really peaks my interest, i wish i could understand what they were rapping about, especially the ones from fairly hard up countries like Poland cuz...y'know, you get the impression people like that would really have something to rap about.

Does Sweden have a lot of it's own hip hop, i mean outside of poptastic shit? What do they rap about?

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

I don't really listen to hiphop, so it's hard to say, but yeah, there are some at least. I know there there's one song where they're rapping about unemployment. We don't really have the gangsta hiphop here. It's more every day stuff, I suppose.

This song I posted was in English though. I can find you something in Swedish that was big here some time ago.

There you go. It's filmed in Czech, by the way. Sweden doesn't look that trashy.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

Guest Len B'stard

I don't really listen to hiphop, so it's hard to say, but yeah, there are some at least. I know there there's one song where they're rapping about unemployment. We don't really have the gangsta hiphop here. It's more every day stuff, I suppose.

See thats really cool, thats real hip hop, everyday stuff, which y'know, a lot of the gangsta stuff is too, thats kinda how it began, as a reflection of what was going on in an everyday sense in peoples worlds. I'd love to be able to understand it, especially the Polish stuff, i dunno what the fuck they're saying but it sounds really passionate.

Guest Satanisk_Slakt

See thats really cool, thats real hip hop, everyday stuff, which y'know, a lot of the gangsta stuff is too, thats kinda how it began, as a reflection of what was going on in an everyday sense in peoples worlds. I'd love to be able to understand it, especially the Polish stuff, i dunno what the fuck they're saying but it sounds really passionate.

Yeah. I'd rather listen to this than the crap on the radio about how many people they kill and how many "bitches" or "hoes" they fuck or how much money they have. I can't imagine something more pathetic than that.

Just reading through the lyrics to some of the songs and they're actually not that bad. It's some interesting stuff said. Some of the songs are political too.

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah. I'd rather listen to this than the crap on the radio about how many people they kill and how many "bitches" or "hoes" they fuck or how much money they have. I can't imagine something more pathetic than that.

Just reading through the lyrics to some of the songs and they're actually not that bad. It's some interesting stuff said. Some of the songs are political too.

A lot of that is sort of a reaction to shit circumstances, you celebrate things like riches etc when you come from a poverty stricken background because this is what the world has showed time and again what is important. Only really poor people truly know the value of money and the spirit of entreprenurialism etc.

I remember in an interview with Tupac where he was asked a similar question in terms of, y'know, you have so much to say poltically, about society about life about injustice etc and you ruin it and make it puerile by celebrating money and matierialism and his response was interesting it was something like, i was presented with this world, it was not of my making and part of what i was presented with was the elevated status of those with money and my music is a reflection of that, money is all that is considered precious and, in a way the idea is (or at least it was with some of the earlier hip hop artists) to ridicule it, to be so over the top and wasteful of money for want of a better phrase so as to show the whole thing up for it's own ridiculousness. Unfortunately a lot of em nowadays have lost sight of that or perhaps you could say have been swallowed up by the system is was supposed to be raging against but at it's heart, hip hop is the child of revolution, coming up during the black power movement etc.

Even early hip hop artists, like nowadays they go on and on about Gucci and Prada and this and that and the other and they don't realise that early hip hop artists, they used to go out of their way to buy and to wear fake designer gear to sort of poke fun of the uptown yuppie New Yorkers and their excesses of the 80s.

I guess it's like everything it eventually becomes part of the system.

On topic:

Someone must fuckin' remember when Jungle was huge :D

Edited by sugaraylen

Pearl Jam - Alive

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit

Guns N' Roses - November Rain

Michael Jackson - Black or White

Temple of the Dog - Hunger Strike

U2 - One

Soundgarden - Rusty Cage

Dr. Dre - Nuthin' but a 'G' Thang

Alice in Chains - Would?