What can Axl even "say" at this point?

Vincent Vega

Let's say Axl started trying to write a new album. What would he even be able to write about at this point? GN'R's lyrics were always grounded in reality, real situations and issues--Axl prided himself on writing about stuff that was real, from the heart. With AFD, the lyrics were about life and sex and death and grit and grime and crime living as 'urchins' in the streets of 1980s LA. Lies was a continuation of that. With the UYIs, the lyrics spanned from those themes, to dealing with newfound fame and success, emotional issues, romantic problems, legal issues, optimism, religion; pretty much everything you could think of. CD was about Axl's sadness, bitterness, the people he felt abandoned or betrayed him, the breakup of old GN'R, and the stress of recording the album itself.

Nowadays, Axl is 51. He's seemingly content, finally has a stable 'family' and generally stable personal life, has no major personal problems that we're aware of, has a band which is stable. All this comfort and stability and contentment does not translate to good rock lyrics or even to creativity. Usually, artists are moved by something to create. When you're just existing, going through the motions of day to day life, what is there to write about that will captivate and be worth recording? How many fans could relate to a record with lyrical references to growing old, middle age and gray hairs?

Tom Waits and Nick Cave are both older than Axl. They are both married and they are still two of the best songwriters on the planet. The idea that stability can't contribute to creativity is naive. It just won't lead to Welcome To The Jungle.

Besides, it's not as if the discontent of the past (and of the present day, which we would know nothing about as we don't know his day to day life) is completely gone from Axl's life anyway.

Edited by Chinaski

Your not there yet so I'm ignoring what you think your life is going to be like when you get there. You know it's what you make it and if that's what you want so be it.

Axl hardly seems to be the type to sit on his ass and tell himself he is limited in what he does by the sterotype of what one is expected to do at certain ages. I don't think either, he is going to limit himself to trying to write music for the younger generation only.

But your general question is themes that interest all generations. Cars, a good fucking driving song would be fun. Politics, not that I'm interested but I do like a well put bitch session and there's so much material there. The internet, we're all up to our ass in that or waiting to get caught on youtube--lol. Death, happens to everybody. Relationships although I can't take any more of the I'm hurt by them, lets go for ain't this great or I'm pissed off and not going to take it any more. There's probably a lot more but I've got to run.

Axl may not be exposing himself on webcam or having venomous freakouts in Anything Goes, both of which are ripe for storytelling, but I'm sure he can find something he can write about. lol

Not to be rude, but OP seems to be projecting his own perceptions on to Axl. Axl travels the world- there is tons of inspiration to be found from being in different countries, different cultures. Hell, he could write a song about flying in a plane. Axl has always been able to write lyrics. As an artist and lyricist, I think it's ignorant and folly to suggest that Axl's suddenly going to run out of ideas just because he isn't in a band with drug addicts anymore. If anything, Axl is wiser, more experienced, and has grown as a lyricist.

What the hell are complex lyrics anyways?Some sort of subliminal messages in them,or a secret code for us to figure out.Or maybe lyrics to bring peace and harmony all throughout the world.

Edited by cbgnr

As an artist and lyricist, I think it's ignorant and folly to suggest that Axl's suddenly going to run out of ideas just because he isn't in a band with drug addicts anymore. If anything, Axl is wiser, more experienced, and has grown as a lyricist.

With all due respect, my friend, I don't think people are saying that he has run out of ideas because he's not in a band with drug addicts (btw I think that's a bit of a reductive and dismissive way of referring to the old band). We wouldn't be having this conversation if Axl had put out albums at even close to a regular pace. But since he doesn't, he invites speculation about whether he has creativity left in him. It may not be accurate, who knows, but it's a legitimate question.

I agree that Axl is more experienced, but I'm not so sure about wiser and better lyricist.

With the UYIs, the band created music and Axl put lyrics to it. Or, he wrote lyrics and the band would work up a song to match the lyrics and intent.

On AFD, the process was totally that the lyrics came last, with the music and melodies and whatnot first.

I imagine there is still a lot of things for him to write about. I agree things are more stable now than ever in the GNR world. But Axl, is Axl. He has always been quite complex and no one can figure him out or know what is going thru his mind. I would think that turning 51 has aged and matured him quite a bit, but deep down I'm sure he continually fights with what ever demons have plagued him thru his life.

With the UYIs, the band created music and Axl put lyrics to it. Or, he wrote lyrics and the band would work up a song to match the lyrics and intent.

On AFD, the process was totally that the lyrics came last, with the music and melodies and whatnot first.

But i think mark said lyrics came first on AFD and some illusions song.

Dunno it's just that in some parts of CD i feel like he's just trying to fit the music.

Just stay out of This I Love territory and he'll be ok.

That was seriously reminiscent of Meatloaf taking inspiration from How now, brown cow.

Axl didn't even want to put it on CD. Unfortunately he listened to the band when he (for once) should have ignored them.

As an artist and lyricist, I think it's ignorant and folly to suggest that Axl's suddenly going to run out of ideas just because he isn't in a band with drug addicts anymore. If anything, Axl is wiser, more experienced, and has grown as a lyricist.

With all due respect, my friend, I don't think people are saying that he has run out of ideas because he's not in a band with drug addicts (btw I think that's a bit of a reductive and dismissive way of referring to the old band). We wouldn't be having this conversation if Axl had put out albums at even close to a regular pace. But since he doesn't, he invites speculation about whether he has creativity left in him. It may not be accurate, who knows, but it's a legitimate question.

I agree that Axl is more experienced, but I'm not so sure about wiser and better lyricist.

I did not mean to refer to the old band in a dismissive way. I just meant a lot of the old lyrics revolved around drug references, the party lifestyle, being poor, etc. I phrased it wrong.

I just believe Axl will have no problems writing lyrics if he wants to. I just don't think he wants to. Or something.

I did not mean to refer to the old band in a dismissive way. I just meant a lot of the old lyrics revolved around drug references, the party lifestyle, being poor, etc. I phrased it wrong.

I just believe Axl will have no problems writing lyrics if he wants to. I just don't think he wants to. Or something.

I see what you mean, then.

I hope you're right about "if he wants to." And if you are, I hope at some point he fucking wants to.

Just stay out of This I Love territory and he'll be ok.

That was seriously reminiscent of Meatloaf taking inspiration from How now, brown cow.

Axl didn't even want to put it on CD. Unfortunately he listened to the band when he (for once) should have ignored them.

I think it's a great song and i love axl's voice on it. Lyrics can be cheesy but also very emotional at the right moment. listen to the instrumental .