How did the band get involved with Mark Racco? And was the original director's cut of YCBM ever slated for official release?

saber_

Marc, thank you for your time. For many months, I was too scared to ask a question, but for awhile I've been wondering about the obscure questions that follow in this post, so I thought "what the hell" I'll ask him.

How did the band get involved with Mark Racco? I'm very curious to hear any insights you have about his interaction with band members or his overall involvement with the band.

A few months ago, I stumbled on to the original director's cut of You Could Be Mine (posted below), it was really fascinating to watch it, and it got me wondering about Mark Racco and the video itself. Was the original director's cut of YCBM ever slated for official release? Or was there always the intention to add Terminator 2 footage to it? What do you recall about that video and how it came about, etc?

Thank you again for your time. I'm sure for many members, as it is for me, it is very meaningful that you post here.

For those that haven't seen it (and for reference), here's the original directors cut of YCBM:

Edited by brainsaber

Marc, thank you for your time. For many months, I was too scared to ask a question, but for awhile I've been wondering about the obscure questions that follow in this post, so I thought "what the hell" I'll ask him.

How did the band get involved with Mark Racco? I'm very curious to hear any insights you have about his interaction with band members or his overall involvement with the band.

A few months ago, I stumbled on to the original director's cut of You Could Be Mine (posted below), it was really fascinating to watch it, and it got me wondering about Mark Racco and the video itself. Was the original director's cut of YCBM ever slated for official release? Or was there always the intention to add Terminator 2 footage to it? What do you recall about that video and how it came about, etc?

Thank you again for your time. I'm sure for many members, as it is for me, it is very meaningful that you post here.

For those that haven't seen it (and for reference), here's the original directors cut of YCBM:

Is this the same guy who did the videos for My Michelle and Mr. Brownstone? The ones tha were never released?

Thx for posting this

Is this the same guy who did the videos for My Michelle and Mr. Brownstone?

GNR didn't shoot videos for these songs. The only unreleased video is It's so easy, it's up on youtube

There are professionally edited, mixed down, and synced up versions of My Michelle and Brownstone that were filmed at those same UYI warm-up shows. It was def the same camera crew, so I assume director. They are on youtube and clearly not fan made. I remember reading somewhere that they were going to be used to help the UYI tour prior to the release of the album - but that could have been just an opinion. They should be on GN'Rs official VIMEO page - at least they used to be.

EDIT:

here's Brownstone - Racco gives some info about it on the page.

Edited by hellobeatle

As someone who worked in music television, and briefly with music video editing.. my guess is, this is the underlay of the video... sort of like a rough cut without the T2 footage. Maybe they did the editing first of the live content before they received the T2 footage. Also, looking at this video again now, after so long, I recognize 'cover-up' when I see it. I think the slo-mo parts of the band are to cover up the fact that for that point in the song, they didn't have a good shot to work with.

When I worked on music videos, the performance footage was always the first to lay down, because you had to sync it up with the song, and from there, you see what you REALLY have to cover with story line if nothing matched up performance wise. This is why bands have to play the song over and over, to ensure the crew got enough shots (wides, closeups etc) to fill the song with visual.