Late 90s early 2000's

T.wa.T

Hey Marc, can you tell us if you heard some of the songs that didn't make the cut for Chinese Democracy? When Roy Thomas Baker came in and had the band redo everything, was it all redone or just some of the songs reworked? What was Axls reaction to this, was he pissed or did he accept RTBs criticism. Thanks

Marc, was there a noticeable difference in the studio. What I mean is, did the ' vibe ' feel different because of the new band members? Was it strange for you to see Axl recording with others not named Slash, Izzy Duff etc... Or did it seem normal. Thanks again.

I didn't really see them record, I just got to hear some playback. Axl sounded great and thats all I cared about at that time. I did like Bucket and no he is not Slash but since Slash was not going to be there, I thought Bucket was a good choice. The Band was a whole different band so there was really no reason to compare the two bands. Of corse it was going to be different. This was the way it was so the only thing you can do is support what is there and that also goes for what ever the other original members were doing too. They all had special talents and for manny different reasons could no longer work together. I know that there was a time where they made magic together but that time was gone and they all moved on. You have to just go with it and see where it goes.

Edited by recklessroad

Did it seem like the album would come out as planned back then? The lineup had finally come together along with what seems like at least an albums worth of songs (2000 Intentions), can you say what you think derailed the release? Was it the label or something going on in the band. Was it Slash or Duff trying to rejoin the band?

Thanks again Marc, your replies have been really helpful and greatly appreciated.

Nothing to do with Slash or Duff. Lots to do with the record Co probably wanting something different or maybe a few songs with some of the old members or maybe how it was going to be promoted. It could be a number of different reasons. I thought it was going to come out in 2001. There was no reason in my mind for it not to. The record was done and they were playing like 5 or 6 of the songs live. Put it this way Buckethead is on all the songs and he left sometime in 2002 right? So you already know that by then the songs had to be done.

Hi Marc, first time I have interacted with you, but appreciate you take the time to check in here.

You mentioned you heard new music in a playback session and not being present during recording, but just wondering whether you met/interacted with any of the band members of the period, and any observations behind the scenes so to speak, whether it was how they worked with each other, how they felt about the project, and so on? People like Buckethead and Robin had a significant presence on "Chinese Democracy" but they have spoken the least (or not at all) about their experiences.

Thanks Marc. Anything to share about Buckethead or Robin in particular? Sorry to repeat the question but hard to really get a idea how they worked behind the scenes because they don't speak much about their experiences. Understand if you prefer not to discuss anything specific.

Nothing to do with Slash or Duff. Lots to do with the record Co probably wanting something different or maybe a few songs with some of the old members or maybe how it was going to be promoted. It could be a number of different reasons. I thought it was going to come out in 2001. There was no reason in my mind for it not to. The record was done and they were playing like 5 or 6 of the songs live. Put it this way Buckethead is on all the songs and he left sometime in 2002 right? So you already know that by then the songs had to be done.

Do you have any insight as to what was going on between 2002 and 2008? Can you say if the record company had the album for this time and was having Axl tweak it? Or where they satisfied with it and the holdup was the negotiations for its release?

I don't know for sure but I think it had to do with how the record would be marketed? Also maybe some detail about the money. They did add some things but thats because the band got some new members and wanted to have them put their 2 cents in.

Edited by recklessroad