2Pac uses Marlon Brando and Axl Rose to deny that he's a gangster rapper

Guest NGOG

Guest Len B'stard

Its really not man, Johnny Friendly is a mob connected racketeer, its what the character is.

Well Brando's character stood up to Friendly, so that hardly makes him one of them now does it...

The fact that he IS one of them and stands up to them is kinda what the whole movies about.

Its really not man, Johnny Friendly is a mob connected racketeer, its what the character is.

Well Brando's character stood up to Friendly, so that hardly makes him one of them now does it...

The fact that he IS one of them and stands up to them is kinda what the whole movies about.

You're getting all semantic... a sure sign that someone is clutching at straws...

It's not what he was at heart... he was no gangster, that's not what defined him -- he was a contender, he coulda been someone, instead of the bum he was, let's face it...etc.

Guest Len B'stard

The fact that he IS one of them and stands up to them is kinda what the whole movies about.You're getting all semantic... a sure sign that someone is clutching at straws...

It's not what he was at heart... he was no gangster, that's not what defined him -- he was a contender, he coulda been someone, instead of the bum he was, let's face it...etc.

No im not, i said he was a gangster in the broad sense of working for a racketeer in the way of criminal activity to which your response was no he wasn't cuz hes a good boy at heart and roped into that particular line of work...now which one of those is getting all semantic? :lol:

And he was defined by it, thats what the whole taxi scene is about, thats what he's telling his brother, i COULD'VE been a contender instead of a bum (i.e. being under Johnny Friendly).

Edited by sugaraylen

You're getting all semantic... a sure sign that someone is clutching at straws...

No im not, i said he was a gangster in the broad sense of working for a racketeer in the way of criminal activity to which your response was no he wasn't cuz hes a good boy at heart and roped into that particular line of work...now which one of those is getting all semantic? :lol:

And he was defined by it, thats what the whole taxi scene is about, thats what he's telling his brother, i COULD'VE been a contender instead of a bum (i.e. being under Johnny Friendly).

There's a little bit of On the Waterfront in Rocky.

Edited by dalsh327

Guest Len B'stard

I always thought all of characterisation of rocky was from waterfront, with the actual fight aspect being cribbed from ali vs chuck wepner.