Reunion effect on current lineup

sword&tulipz

I don't even understand why anyone would want or expect a reunion. By reuniting with the original members of REAL Guns N' Roses, Axl is not going to sound good or give a stellar performance.

After hearing how weak his voice sounded recently in NY, I'd have to agree.

gossa agree as well... Top of game or not the musicians of any incarnation of gnr aren't the issue as far as I have seen. The big man himself. Current Adler's drum work vs. Current Axl's vocals? Somebody who has time make a poll. hahaha

I think the Hall of Fame pretty much destroyed this new band...

I think the big joke is their inability to write and record perpetuated by a bunch of interviews where the current band just seem like a bunch of employed yes men doing nothing more than playing other peoples music with no say in anything to do with the band.

Sometimes it strikes me just how funny it is that we all play along and call the current band Guns N Roses. I mean, I know we have to for conversation's sake, and it is legally Guns N Roses, and I know this point has been made a million times so I'm not looking to get in a fight, but when you step back for a second and think about it, it's quite ridiculous. Scroll up to the top of the page and look at the band photo. That's Guns N Roses? Nah.

Reunion tour with no new album >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Current band touring with no new album

I think even the most staunch NuGuns fan would pick a reunion tour over the current band continuing to tour the same tired setlist over and over again with no new music on the horizon.

I am much more a fan of the AFD lineup than the current band, but I would still prefer to see the current lineup than any previous lineups UNLESS they actually reunited because they rediscovered that camaraderie they had going back in the old days and did it out of artistic reasons and not just as a huge cash grab. If they just put up with their differences because they want to become richer, then I would be happier to just enjoy my fond memories and watch youtube videos from the 80s.
So you feel like this current band puts on a top-flight show because of their camaraderie and because of artistic reasons........and not because they are making big paychecks?

I didn't say anything about why the current band puts on a great show, I only talked about why I believe a reunion would be a bad idea.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I could swear you've made posts in the past saying that this GnR gig and paycheck allow the boys to be able to do their "fun" and creative side projects.

Yeah, for the most part that is correct.

DJ is playing a three hour show with GnR and not playing one note that he created (other than his solo). He's covering other guitar player's work for every show.

Thal didn't have any writing credits on CD, and from what I understand, he did come in and add some guitar parts or was allowed to tinker with guitar parts that were already there........but playing those songs every night and not playing anything he created - that can't be for artistic pleasure.

So you'd rather see DJ/BBF play classic GnR songs for money...........rather than see Slash/Duff/Izzy onstage playing the songs THEY created?

Yes.

Are you saying that the current band is only in GnR for artistic reasons and because they are all best buddies and they aren't doing it for the money?

I am not saying anything about why the current members of Guns N' Roses is in the band. You seem awfully confused.

Also, regarding your comment about watching old youtube videos. With the huge "you can't judge the quality of Axl's voice by youtube videos" outcry on this forum.........I'm curious as to your stance on that issue. From your statement, it seems like you might not agree with those people? Where do you fall on the "you can't judge axl's voice from youtube videos" debate?

Oh, you can definitely judge his voice by videos. Bad voice on video usually suggests bad voice in the concert, too. BUT while at the concert you tend to not note such things because those things that can't be conveyed by video overrides the bad voice, like the punch in your stomach from the bass, the wall of sound, the individual merging of sound, the lights and movement, etc. This is demonstrated numerous times by people saying they are surprised to hear the vocals on video after a show they attended.

My whole stance on this is that it doesn't matter much as long as people in the audience are happy. Unless the show is broadcast live it really doesn't matter. As long as the paying audience leaves content then I believe Axl and the band is giving them their money's worth. As long as the media review gives good reviews then that will help to keep the band going. That will give an incentive to release more music.

Sometimes it strikes me just how funny it is that we all play along and call the current band Guns N Roses. I mean, I know we have to for conversation's sake, and it is legally Guns N Roses, and I know this point has been made a million times so I'm not looking to get in a fight, but when you step back for a second and think about it, it's quite ridiculous. Scroll up to the top of the page and look at the band photo. That's Guns N Roses? Nah.

Wisdom and truth...wisdom and truth. How stoked can these guys get about not showcasing their own music? Im sure their accountant is more stoked about it than they are.

Wisdom and truth...wisdom and truth. How stoked can these guys get about not showcasing their own music? Im sure their accountant is more stoked about it than they are.
I am sure they knew when the joined the band that they would have to play the hits from the band's back catalogues (and if Axl told them otherwise I am sure they didn't believe such naive claims). I am also sure they believed they would record new music with the band.

I am not so sure about that. Have you heard that Axl interview from Rio 3 when he said that the new guys were very reluctant to play the old tunes. Also, Buckethead.

I do not think any of us in 1999-2001 could have predicted that Axl's vision would have ended up how it is today, a nostalgia fest.

I am not so sure about that. Have you heard that Axl interview from Rio 3 when he said that the new guys were very reluctant to play the old tunes. Also, Buckethead.

I do not think any of us in 1999-2001 could have predicted that Axl's vision would have ended up how it is today, a nostalgia fest.

With the strength of the back catalogue and his decision to continue as Guns N' Roses, I think it was inevitable that old songs had to be played. Sure, I think everyone involved expected that by now the old songs would constitute a minority of the sets, but still, they would be there and they would draw old-timers like myself to the shows.