The SOCCER Thread 2013/2014

The Sandman

Yeah but its not as easy as that is it because theres more than one spot that needs filling. Its easy to sit here as fans and give our opinions and that but by the same token if it were that easy we'd all be at it.

Not disputing that, just point out that there was in fact money to spend and that Arsenal did indeed spend a considerable amount in previous years.

Only difference this year is that you spent all of that money on one luxury player rather than squad players.

It's called management, a word that the rest of the teams of the Premiership might wanna try looking up in the dictionary.

It's true that's why I respect them. But they are competing maybe more flash in the pan clubs or just backed by silly money. The point is they still qualify for champs league not sure how much u actually get for winning prem? They just need a roster of strikers though and maybe just play Frimpong more against the likes of stoke. Maybe not elite strikers but they need more. Couple strikers that get 20 goals a season. Bentekke at least. The base is there they just need a Suarez. Seems like wenger won't compromise his way of playing football but they can get someone to score goals. Edited by wasted

What happen to fantasy football site. It went down and coodnt make transfers. So city are play twice and every one has 3 city players. I just fought back to the top from bottom. Now I'm going to get raped. Hope Liverpool city is a nil nil draw. Or at least doesn't get a hatrick. Dveko scores maybe. Suarez is my capt. This is my season. Bite them!

Guest Len B'stard

Yeah but its not as easy as that is it because theres more than one spot that needs filling. Its easy to sit here as fans and give our opinions and that but by the same token if it were that easy we'd all be at it.

Not disputing that, just point out that there was in fact money to spend and that Arsenal did indeed spend a considerable amount in previous years.

Only difference this year is that you spent all of that money on one luxury player rather than squad players.

My point is it really isn't that considerable an amount considering the competitive high spending league Arsenal are in, for a top four team, its really not a lot.

10 mil buys players who might work out. solid squad players. They maybe good players but they aren't world beaters for sure. Thats what Arsenal need, they need their Messi or Ronaldo or Henry or Suarez. Wenger buys players he likes, that fit in his system, and thats fine. Maybe its harder to attract those difficult amazing players to fit in that way of playing. Some one like Ozil might not disturb the team but he doesn't turn away loses into wins with a few moments of genius either. that kind of thing can inspire a team or just take the pressure off in certain situations. we're talking about a few wins here and there.

Edited by wasted

Well for a start nobody expected Lennon to be shit this year or Townsend's form to drop off that drastically.

Also if we signed Willian we wouldn't have got Eriksen who we signed after the deal for Willian fell through. So yes while Willian might have improved us we also wouldn't have ended up with our best signing for a bargain price.

Just to put it in perspective, Willian has 3 goals and 6 assists in 36 games, Eriksen has 10 goals and 8 assists in 32 games so I am happy with how the deal ended up.

Willian could have really improved Spurs this season - far better all round game than Lennon.

Willian - Spurs

Suarez - Arsenal

Rooney - Chelsea

Table would look different with those deals done.

And it would've been different if we'd signed Neymar and Messi - but hey.

Appreciate the above were more plausible - but we can't really operate on what if.

One's ridiculous conjecture, because you know already that it'd be different because it isn't the same. Journalists generally report on what happened and in their opinion, but it doesn't change history.

It'd be like saying, well if the Hand of God hadn't happened, we would've won the tournament - but there's no guarantee of that. Random hypotheticals just don't add anything :shrugs:

Well for a start nobody expected Lennon to be shit this year or Townsend's form to drop off that drastically.

Also if we signed Willian we wouldn't have got Eriksen who we signed after the deal for Willian fell through. So yes while Willian might have improved us we also wouldn't have ended up with our best signing for a bargain price.

Just to put it in perspective, Willian has 3 goals and 6 assists in 36 games, Eriksen has 10 goals and 8 assists in 32 games so I am happy with how the deal ended up.

Eriksen is definitely a player. I suppose its in central defense they've been shit. Dawson has been abysmal. they seem okay going forward. Adebayor can get the ball in the net. they have switch styles of play half way through season so it hard to say. Lennon/Townsend are passengers. Paulinho is injured? Sigurdson only just came back? Is Parker at Spurs. Finding another Defoe first priority. Shouldn't have let Huddlestone leave.

Guest Len B'stard

One's ridiculous conjecture, because you know already that it'd be different because it isn't the same. Journalists generally report on what happened and in their opinion, but it doesn't change history.

It'd be like saying, well if the Hand of God hadn't happened, we would've won the tournament - but there's no guarantee of that. Random hypotheticals just don't add anything :shrugs:

Yeah, uh, the goal Maradona scored right after HoG would like a word with you :lol:

Yeah, uh, the goal Maradona scored right after HoG would like a word with you :lol:

That the point though, it would be like saying because the HoG went in the players and keeper were pissed off and switched off for his next goal, total bullshit of course but thats what happens with ifs and buts.

Also a great quote I just read, that Pistorious has a better defense than Spurs :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Fuckin' belter though weren't it? Opened us right up. As much as I love Messi and i do think, when it's all said and done, he'll go down as the greatest to do it, as things stand you really can't touch Maradona.

Guest Len B'stard

I thought all you Cambridge posh boys were into all that? :lol: Thats like the fuckin' 5th chapter of your autobiography, the coming of age chapter :lol:

For serious though, was watching some old clips of his the other day, fuuuuuuuck me that boy was something.

I know i say this every time but i love when Anfield sings You'll Never Walk Alone :) Really belted it out today!

Guest Len B'stard

Should be 3-0

Fuck me, it's 2-0 anyway! :lol: Just as I typed that last one!

Best game I've seen all season so far, end to end stuff, just tearin' it up, Suarez is tormenting DeMichaelis.

Guest Len B'stard

It's weird innit, pace used to be so important, it was like THE thing to have...in recent years it's something thats been eschewed by teams in terms of a favourable attribute in favour of loads of fuckin' step overs and all that slick tricky shit which is good for what it is but it required co-joining with a fair deal of other attributes, pace is one of em...who really has pace among the top teams these days?