Should GN'R have layered guitars?

Vincent Vega

Think of how Page would put layer upon layer of guitars in a song to make a "guitar army effect"...Like see the song The Song Remains The Same or Achilles' Last Stand, to see how the guitars weave a wide, diverse musical tapestry for the song, just a guitar assault...Or the "harmony" section of Ten Years Gone, which features as many as 14 guitar overdubs all weaving together in one piece....Could you imagine what GN'R would've sounded like if Slash had done something similar at the peak of his powers, had layers and layers of guitars in an epic driving rock song? Or if Buckethead did the same thing in New GNR? Like, working off a basic number, laying tons of guitars on top of it, then Axl's vocals...It could've been epic.

There are tons of overdubs on CD and it doesn't seem excessive to me. I agree though, there's something about two guitarists playing off each other,each with fairly defined roles. There's also the problem of too many instruments in the same frequency range muddying the mix. it's damn hard work mixing numerous guitars and making them all sound clear.

Edited by bax

the 2-3 interlocking guitar tracks on AFD is what defined GNR's sound

I'm not talking about interlocking guitar riffs.

I'm talking about the sort of epic "guitar army" effect that Jimmy Page did in Zeppelin on a song like Achilles Last Stand.

Like imagine just one basic Izzy guitar track, with like, a dozen different Slash overdubs all feeding each other.

the 2-3 interlocking guitar tracks on AFD is what defined GNR's sound

this

Like imagine just one basic Izzy guitar track, with like, a dozen different Slash overdubs all feeding each other.

Sounds like the worst thing since Hulk Hogan's solo album. We already know what a GNR album sounds like when Slash gets too overzealous. Edited by bacardimayne