Has Axl finally managed to put together a band whose members will never quit on him?

Randy Lahey

Highly doubt it.

I would bet that DJ and BBF will probably leave soon if Axl doesn't let them write and record with the band.

I doubt that. They'll be there as long as the cheques keep coming.

Edited by Randy Lahey
  • Like 1

i wouldnt go as far as that because everyone has a limit for how far they can be pushed. i think hes found some guys that certainly dont mind putting up with the bullshit that is attached with guns n roses for a paycheck to help keep their other projects and personal lives afloat.

If they don't put out an album in the next 3 years, I see Bumblefoot leaving. The rest don't have enough going for them or care enough to leave. Dizzy is there until the end. Chris Pitman would be poor if he quit. Richard could leave, but he has other projects that he uses as his outlet so he doesn't really have much to gain by leaving and doesn't seem to mind the GNR delays. Same goes for Tommy. DJ is apparently very friendly with Axl so I don't think he has the balls to actually leave. Bumble seems to be the only one with the attitude and the possible desire to make a break. I'd be very surprised though if in 3 years we still have no new album and this band is EXACTLY the same. Something will have changed by then.

No they won't quit on him because the GNR machine gives them the freedom to explore their own projects with more security.

They may get around to writing and releasing new music at some point as GNR but I just don't feel it will have the genuine ambition and challenge that people like Finck and Buckethead offered musically. There was a point where I felt GNR could have raised the bar in their genre or market, but now I think most listeners will be celebrating how close the new band can get to the 'classic' GNR sound.

Highly doubt it.

I would bet that DJ and BBF will probably leave soon if Axl doesn't let them write and record with the band.

I think we've lost a bit of perspective with the time-frames that gnr work on. Any moderately creative musician would be tearing their hair out in the position bbf and DJ find themselves - remember, they've been in an established, globally recognized band for YEARS now, with close to zero creative output.

For this reason alone you'd have to assume they'll hang on to the bitter end and keep collecting their checks.

For me, DJ fits this profile just fine – most of us would agree the stuff he does is largely just tacky and shit, and he's not much of a songwriter or guitarist. GnR is his dream ticket, period.

Bbf is a much more intriguing case. He talks like he has artistic integrity, but there seems to be no limit to the amount of shit he'll put up with to stay in the band. There’s no way gnr could be fulfilling his creative drives, and he’s kidding no-one if he claims he likes playing jungle for the 500th time. And yet he hangs on.

I’m not a fan of bumble’s work in gnr. For me, his guitar solos are like the absolute antithesis of what gnr’s should sound like. However, the man comes across as a genuine guy, and for that reason alone I think we’d all want the best for him. And that’s probably not guns.

Edited by HubbaBubba

Has Axl finally managed to put together a band whose members will never quit on him?

I don't think any of them will ever get anything as big as GNR. Ron could quit due to health though.

It doesn't seem to matter if anyone quits anyway. There's always another six shooter for hire in the wanted ads.

I don't think any of them will ever get anything as big as GNR. Ron could quit due to health though.

It doesn't seem to matter if anyone quits anyway. There's always another six shooter for hire in the wanted ads.

True. But Axl needs another hired gun like a hole in the head.

I think if Ron leaves, they won't get another guitarist. They'll just split his money between them.

I just see them stripping it down for a new record. Long term, not that there's much time left, but if they are going to do a self-titled Back in Black type hard record to appease the masses and add that to the discography then Dj is the future. With him taking the Slash role and Fortus Izzy or the them switching it back and forth.

I doubt Ron will leave, if he didn't leave after going through that, the suicide attempt, all that pain, why quit now after all that seems like he's digging his heels in and Axl likes a fighter.

I think if Ron leaves, they won't get another guitarist. They'll just split his money between them.

I just see them stripping it down for a new record. Long term, not that there's much time left, but if they are going to do a self-titled Back in Black type hard record to appease the masses and add that to the discography then Dj is the future. With him taking the Slash role and Fortus Izzy or the them switching it back and forth.

I doubt Ron will leave, if he didn't leave after going through that, the suicide attempt, all that pain, why quit now after all that seems like he's digging his heels in and Axl likes a fighter.

Yep, agree on Ron. He’s been pushed as far as he could go. Not really sure what I make of that situation if I’m honest.

I doubt if DJ has the chops to produce a collection of straight-ahead rockers of any real quality. If we’re talking weak, weak riffs, like the one that built chinese democracy, then he could be the man. Is that something really better than nothing tho?

Now it seems like Ron being so fan friendly was bcos he was getting pushed out, so one way to get a foot hold is through the fans.

From Ballad of Death I think you can hear how Dj could work with Axl on his songs. And he could do a couple of 00s type rockers, not the bone crunching of YCBM but more high flying, high octane songs. Sixx Am meets GNR is all they need. Als if he produces with Axl the album will have unified sound. It's juts whether Tommy and Del like him. He's cool with Motely so he must have some dude credentials.

With Ron and Fortus, they aren't short on talent in the band. With Pitman and Dizzy dueling on synths the sky's the limit.

Now it seems like Ron being so fan friendly was bcos he was getting pushed out, so one way to get a foot hold is through the fans.

From Ballad of Death I think you can hear how Dj could work with Axl on his songs. And he could do a couple of 00s type rockers, not the bone crunching of YCBM but more high flying, high octane songs. Sixx Am meets GNR is all they need. Als if he produces with Axl the album will have unified sound. It's juts whether Tommy and Del like him. He's cool with Motely so he must have some dude credentials.

With Ron and Fortus, they aren't short on talent in the band. With Pitman and Dizzy dueling on synths the sky's the limit.

I reckon you’ve convinced me now, but the secret ingredient would definitely be Axl. And perhaps the chronically under-utilized Fortus.

I honestly feel bbf’s style has little or nothing to offer gnr. For me he’s final year music students and concept shredding only. Not denying his talent, just his fit. Start up randy on the elephant noise.

Highly doubt it.

Wrong. As long as DJ and BBF are getting paid, they will never leave.

Trust me, the world isn't waiting on the edge of their seats for the next DJ or BBF composition. No one cares, in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

Why bother leaving? It's not like they have to do shit. Sleepwalk through a tour every couple years. Collect cash money. If they were successful or legitimate artists in their own right, sure they'd quit. But they're not, so quitting doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

There are several employees involved with Axl's band who have absolutely no artistic ambition or desire to create anything at all under the name GNR. These people are perfectly happy with getting their paycheck and touring same post mortum Greatest Hits circus ad nausea. At some point towards the summer, one of GNR "members" straight up said something along the lines of " yeah, no point in making new music since some people would download it for free anyway." Such quotes existing tells literally everything you'd wanna know about creative ambition left in this band. GNR makes a stable thing in same way rotting corpse carefully tied and mounted on a horse does.

It is a gigantic fucking shame GNR didn't die in 1994-1995. Everything that has happened since only tarnishes the name more and more. Hurts the memory, value that once came with name Guns N' Roses. I can't even begin to imagine the sheer amount of prestige, myth..fondness myself/people as whole would attach to the name had it died when it stopped breathinn in mid 90's.

I bet Axl (in case he feels inspired enough to leave his comfort zones and make some new music ever again) actually can't stand the idea of involving people like current GNR in creative process of making a new GNR album. These pasturing cows who can't be arsed to really mind it how they have not not been making new music in ..well, ever because " it wouldn't sell anyway" prolly aren't people you'd care to try and get inspired by/with. Lol. If Axl figures it ever is 'right time' to get serious and actually try and make new music, he just replaces like half of the outfit. Though creative process, Axl needs people who can't stand his shit around him. Otherwise things just don't happen and he ends up taking 15 years again. Need some genuine fires burning. Idea of DJ's mall rock hashtag music released in product that wears GNR logo makes me wanna vomit in his gaping asshole.

Edited by LTD

Watching Axl play with Dizzy Reed, it was suddenly so clear. Dizzy would never stop. He would never leave him, and he would never hurt him, never shout at him, or get drunk and hit him, or say he was too busy to spend time with him. Dizzy would always be there. And he would die to protect his position in GNR. Of all the would-be guitarists and musicians who came and went over the years, this bongo drummer, this keyboardist, was the only one who measured up. In an insane world, it was the sanest choice.

Edited by Randy Lahey
  • Like 1

Watching Axl play with Dizzy Reed, it was suddenly so clear. Dizzy would never stop. He would never leave him, and he would never hurt him, never shout at him, or get drunk and hit him, or say he was too busy to spend time with him. Dizzy would always be there. And he would die to protect his position in GNR. Of all the would-be guitarists and musicians who came and went over the years, this bongo drummer, this keyboardist, was the only one who measured up. In an insane world, it was the sanest choice.

No fate my man, no fate. But we need to be a little more constructive.

Still chuckling at this & will be for a while!

Sixx Am meets GNR.

I like it, I'm addicted to Heroin Diaries.

Sixx Am meets GNR.

I like it, I'm addicted to Heroin Diaries.

That would be my nightmare I'm not impressed by sixx am music akways just seems to me like something mediocre on the radio