Slash Q & A

Huge fan

https://www.facebook.com/notes/slash-army-uk/qa-with-slash-2013/580669388648761

SA.UK - As you read this, where are you?
Slash - I'm at home
SA.UK - Would you ever consider moving to the UK part-time as you are British?
Slash - I've thought about moving to UK many times. But I don't know if that will happen or not.

SA.UK - Will Frank Sidoris be a part of the writing process for the new album? Because he wasn't involved in this process on the last album.
Slash - No, Frank is just in touring outfit.

SA.UK - When roughly do you see the next album being released and the next Tour starting? (Popular question)
Slash - Album should be out late summer. Tour will start late summer early fall.

SA.UK - What is the weirdest place you've played a gig at?
Slash - To date, the strangest gig I've played was a jam for a prince with an all female audience in France.

SA.UK - Is there any musical instrument that you've never played but wanted to learn?
Slash - The Harp.

SA.UK - What is your greatest fear? (or do you have 'nothing left to fear'? Haha!)
Slash - I'm not a paranoid person. But the thing that I most fear is letting things fall apart. I'm very conscious of keep things together

SA.UK - Will you ever put 'Coma' or 'Locomotive' in the new set? (a VERY popular question)
Slash - I don't think so. Those songs have to many rapid fire lyrics to really do live.

SA.UK - What has been one of the weirdest fan experiences you've had?
Slash - Having a fan show up on my front porch in the middle of the night.

SA.UK - If there was ever a zombie apocalypse, what would be the first thing you would do?
Slash - Move to a small island & fortify it with high walls & crocodile infested moats.

SA.UK - Would you ever consider playing a role in one of your next movies?
Slash - Not really into the idea of acting.

SA.UK - Apart from Rock/Metal music, what other genres of music do you enjoy listening to?
Slash - Classical, blues, R & B, some jazz, ethnic music of all different kinds.

SA.UK - Do you have some tips on how to evolve your guitar playing skills?
Slash - Practice. Listen to & learn as much as possible. Don't be arrogant about what u think is good & bad music. Be fearless.

SA.UK - If you could form a supergroup with any 5 singers and musicians from any era dead or alive who would you choose?
Slash - Keith Moon, John Bonham, Jim Morrison, Jon Lord & Lane Staley.

SA.UK - is your favourite actor and actress?
Slash - Favourite actor is Jack Nicholson. Actress would be Ann Margaret.

I personally think what he wanted to say is those songs can only be performed correctly with axl . Just a little covered. I too think these would not fit in myles his vocal range. Esspecially the end of coma:)

Edited by Appetite1989
  • Like 1

SA.UK - Will you ever put 'Coma' or 'Locomotive' in the new set? (a VERY popular question)

Slash - I don't think so. Those songs have to many rapid fire lyrics to really do live.

What does this mean really?
It means Myles Kennedy can't sing GN'R for shit, and Slash knows it.

Slash has mentioned before that there are a lot of GNR songs he won't do because of the lyric thing. I don't have the quote or even have any idea where to start looking, but what I took from it was that the songs had such a heavy emphasis on the lyrics that it wouldn't be such a good song to cover without the lyricist himself singing it. Like...sure, you can get any guitarist or dummer to do the music but if the song's focal point is the actual lyrics and the embodiment of a person's beliefs, then it just doesn't make a good cover song.

When you listen to Appetite, you listen to it a package deal...music and lyrics all as a whole. When you listen to Illusions, it's really mainly about the lyrics. They're very introspective and stand out way more than on Appetite, generally speaking. It's not so much the sound of the Illusions as it is the overall meaning of the songs' lyrics.

Edited by Amish

Except Myles has more range to his vocals then Axl these days so I doubt there are any old Guns songs he could not sing if required..........

• Like 1

Slash has mentioned before that there are a lot of GNR songs he won't do because of the lyric thing. I don't have the quote or even have any idea where to start looking, but what I took from it was that the songs had such a heavy emphasis on the lyrics that it wouldn't be such a good song to cover without the lyricist himself singing it. Like...sure, you can get any guitarist or dummer to do the music but if the song's focal point is the actual lyrics and the embodiment of a person's beliefs, then it just doesn't make a good cover song.

When you listen to Appetite, you listen to it a package deal...music and lyrics all as a whole. When you listen to Illusions, it's really mainly about the lyrics. They're very introspective and stand out way more than on Appetite, generally speaking. It's not so much the sound of the Illusions as it is the overall meaning of the songs' lyrics.

Gotta be kidding, UYI are musically waaaay richer than AFD.

You can hear from track 1 how everyone matured in the years between AFD and UYI's.

Gotta be kidding, UYI are musically waaaay richer than AFD.

You can hear from track 1 how everyone matured in the years between AFD and UYI's.

You misunderstood my words, probably because I didn't explain myself very well. I agree, the music on the Illusions is far more crafted and artistic than on Appetite. What I meant was that the lyrics on the Illusions are really the shining point of the albums, so much so that to do a lot of them as covers without the writer would be kind of pointless.

It's just that there are too many lyrics altogether and they meaning of them is too deep to just look at them as songs you could do justice to by covering them. Maybe a song like You Ain't the First or Don't Cry even, but not Right Next Door to Hell, Coma, Locomotive, Breakdown, Estranged...those are too lyrically intensive to really be covered.

Obviously I could be wrong about what Slash meant, but that's the meaning I took from his other interview I referred to, and it's the opinion I hold as far as cover songs go.

Edited by Amish

If you're expecting Myles to sound like Axl, well, not even Axl can sound like Axl these days. Myles does his thing and I'm pretty sure he tries his best to sound good on GN'R songs.

Great interview. Sad that Frank is only touring, although I guess thats the perfect gig for him. No hard work of writing and just goes out on tour, makes a lot of money, and gets to play with Slash.

Funny that he now says the album in the summer. That sounds more like it, as spring seemed way too early.

The GNR question is obvious. He gave a very fair answer. Those are really difficult songs, and its not that Myles can't sing GNR obviously but its that those are very much "Axl centric" lyrics and would be difficult for anyone. They were difficult for Axl when GNR played them! Its a nice thought, but it didn't seem likely they'd join the set and I'm happy Slash didn't beat around the bush. I would expect though some new GNR songs this time around. Either just less of Appetite and 1 or 2 deep Illusion cuts, or just less GNR songs in general because he'll now have 3 solo albums to tour behind.

Looking forward to this tour, although I am thinking we still have another year before it starts, despite what Slash says. Hoping I'm wrong!

• Like 1

I personally think what he wanted to say is those songs can only be performed correctly with axl . Just a little covered. I too think these would not fit in myles his vocal range. Esspecially the end of coma:)

Nah, I think he'd hit the end of coma out of the park; though he may struggle what the actual lyrics are - but as for singing them, I don't think myles woud struggle at all

• 2 weeks later...

All of this in 2 minutes :D

And all this crass communication that has left you in the cold

Isn't much for consolation when you feel so weak and old

But if home is where the heart is

Then there's stories to be told

No, you don't need a doctor

No one else can heal your soul

Got your mind in submission

Got your life on the line

But nobody pulled the trigger

They just stepped aside

They'll be down by the water

While you watch 'em wavin' goodbye

They'll be callin' in the morning

They'll be hanging on the phone

They'll be waitin' for an answer

But you know nobody's home

And when the bells stop ringing

It was nobody's fault but your own

There were always ample warning

There were always subtle signs

And you would have seen them coming

But we gave you too much time

And when you said that no one's listening

Why'd your best friend drop a dime

Sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a

Way to spend our time

And it's so easy to be social

It's so easy to be cool

Yeah, its easy to get hungry

When you ain't got **** to lose

And I wish that I could help you

With what you hope to find

But I'm still out here waiting

Watching reruns of my life

When you reach the point of breaking

Know it's gonna take some time

To heal those broken memories

That another man would need

Just to survive

All of this in 2 minutes :D

And all this crass communication that has left you in the cold

Isn't much for consolation when you feel so weak and old

But if home is where the heart is

Then there's stories to be told

No, you don't need a doctor

No one else can heal your soul

Got your mind in submission

Got your life on the line

But nobody pulled the trigger

They just stepped aside

They'll be down by the water

While you watch 'em wavin' goodbye

They'll be callin' in the morning

They'll be hanging on the phone

They'll be waitin' for an answer

But you know nobody's home

And when the bells stop ringing

It was nobody's fault but your own

There were always ample warning

There were always subtle signs

And you would have seen them coming

But we gave you too much time

And when you said that no one's listening

Why'd your best friend drop a dime

Sometimes we get so tired of waiting for a

Way to spend our time

And it's so easy to be social

It's so easy to be cool

Yeah, its easy to get hungry

When you ain't got **** to lose

And I wish that I could help you

With what you hope to find

But I'm still out here waiting

Watching reruns of my life

When you reach the point of breaking

Know it's gonna take some time

To heal those broken memories

That another man would need

Just to survive

Amazing lyrics. No matter how many times I have read them, they still amaze me.