Air purifier discussion. Thoughts, recommendations, etc.

saber_

Do you own an air purifier? If so, what model and what do you like or dislike about it? I'm ready to buy a new one, thought I'd see if anyone had some opinions. Also, just curious if anyone else is obsessive about indoor air quality.

I have the Sharp FPA28UW and the Germ Guardian AC5000. I like the Sharp, but it doesn't have a carbon prefilter, just a screen that you wash every few months. I think the carbon prefilter really extends the life of the hepa filter. I like the Germ Guardian too, but it has a UV bulb, and the carbon prefilter is built into the hepa filter as an all-in-one deal (I bought a separate carbon prefilter, but it's a pain to cut it to the right dimensions, and affix it to the hepa filter).

If you're like Facekicker and require it medically, no prob. But the whole concept seems a bit tin hatty/Howard Hughes-esque. At the end of the day, every time you leave your house you're guaranteed to inhale carcinogens.

Actually, I'm in the market for one as well. My girlfriend has a cat and for 10 months of the year I'm fine. But a month or two in the summer, when the air gets heavier, I tend to get bothered by his dander. I know it's the cat because when I leave our apartment I feel better.

Curious if anyone has had any luck with one of these. I'm somewhat of the opinion that they're nothing more than a placebo, and that I'd be wasting my money if I bought one, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone had any luck with one.

I know it's the cat because when I leave our apartment I feel better.

Hey man, if you've determined that it's the cat, why not tamper with its next tin of Whiskas?

Avoid the unnecessary expense. :lol:

If you're like Facekicker and require it medically, no prob. But the whole concept seems a bit tin hatty/Howard Hughes-esque. At the end of the day, every time you leave your house you're guaranteed to inhale carcinogens.

I think there are reputable studies indicating indoor air pollution is a real problem all over the world. However, I understand that air quality may vary considerably from home to home. If nothing else, the carbon prefilter is great at removing dust.

Actually, I'm in the market for one as well. My girlfriend has a cat and for 10 months of the year I'm fine. But a month or two in the summer, when the air gets heavier, I tend to get bothered by his dander. I know it's the cat because when I leave our apartment I feel better.

Curious if anyone has had any luck with one of these. I'm somewhat of the opinion that they're nothing more than a placebo, and that I'd be wasting my money if I bought one, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone had any luck with one.

Some of them are definitely placebos, but I would argue that HEPA-based filters are legitimately cleaning the air. The "ionic" ones and some of the other related technologies are definitely scams: they have given air purifiers a bad name in many ways (especially the "ozone generator" ones). And I'm not sold on the new "plasma cluster" technology either, but it's found in conjunction with a HEPA filter (like the Sharp model in the OP) and can be turned off. I'm not sold on the UV light thing either. While the idea is sound, there's the question of whether the viruses/bacteria is being exposed to the light long enough to be killed.

I do know that many allergy sufferers swear by HEPA-based purifiers. Some people who have especially severe allergies can't live without them. It's somewhat compelling evidence. One good thing I can tell you is that most of them are easily returnable- so if you find it's not helping your cat allergy, you should be able to return it no problem.

Some things to consider:

--The noise level is a major consideration. Some of the smaller ones make a pleasant white noise sound, but some of the larger ones are loud, even on the lowest setting. The dB level is usually reported in the specs, so that's nice for the consumer when comparing. Often I'll turn mine on high before leaving, and then low when I get home.

--While the HEPA filters have to be replaced, the carbon prefilter catches a lot of dust and hair, and is dirt cheap. I strongly recommend one with the carbon prefilter, as it's cheap, and really lengthens the lifespan of the HEPA filter. But a good HEPA filter should last 8 months to a year.

Edited by metaforcesaber

Get air purifying plants FFS

Fair point. Although my reputation undoubtedly precedes me, I'm not here staunchly defending air purifiers like I do Axl. I acknowledge that, depending on the situation, several air purifying plants is a great option for some people.

That being said, plants can only do so much. I don't think they're helpful for allergy sufferers. I'm tellin ya- the amount of dust and particulate matter that is filtered out by the carbon prefilter alone is quite surprising. S'all I'm sayin.

I think there are reputable studies indicating indoor air pollution is a real problem all over the world. However, I understand that air quality may vary considerably from home to home. If nothing else, the carbon prefilter is great at removing dust.

Some of them are definitely placebos, but I would argue that HEPA-based filters are legitimately cleaning the air. The "ionic" ones and some of the other related technologies are definitely scams: they have given air purifiers a bad name in many ways (especially the "ozone generator" ones). And I'm not sold on the new "plasma cluster" technology either, but it's found in conjunction with a HEPA filter (like the Sharp model in the OP) and can be turned off. I'm not sold on the UV light thing either. While the idea is sound, there's the question of whether the viruses/bacteria is being exposed to the light long enough to be killed.

I do know that many allergy sufferers swear by HEPA-based purifiers. Some people who have especially severe allergies can't live without them. It's somewhat compelling evidence. One good thing I can tell you is that most of them are easily returnable- so if you find it's not helping your cat allergy, you should be able to return it no problem.

Some things to consider:

--The noise level is a major consideration. Some of the smaller ones make a pleasant white noise sound, but some of the larger ones are loud, even on the lowest setting. The dB level is usually reported in the specs, so that's nice for the consumer when comparing. Often I'll turn mine on high before leaving, and then low when I get home.

--While the HEPA filters have to be replaced, the carbon prefilter catches a lot of dust and hair, and is dirt cheap. I strongly recommend one with the carbon prefilter, as it's cheap, and really lengthens the lifespan of the HEPA filter. But a good HEPA filter should last 8 months to a year.

Cool, thanks for the info. Yeah, I think we'll likely get one. I saw a HEPA filter air cleaner this weekend while I was in Michigan for $120 and thought about buying it, but decided I won't really need it until the summer. Plus, I like to do my research and figure out what is the best buy.

Cheers!