Question on the leaks

Great to hear these memories, I was on another board (not HTGTH before anyone thinks...) and since I posted the question I did go back and check out what was happening here in 06, was a great time to be a fan. Love what someone said above, 'was like giving water to someone in a desert', that's spot on!

I remember my mate emailing asking if I'd heard the new songs and posted a link - I couldn't believe I was finally hearing new studio material, had them on repeat for so long, and still prefer listening to the leaks over the final album.

The band may hate the leaks, but with lack of new material it really does give the fans something to keep their faith in Axl.

I saw someone referring to this a couple of weeks back, but I was sick to fucking death of "Born To Run" by the time I finally managed to get Catcher in The Rye :lol:

wait, i don't get it. what's the reference? i'm missing something and it's probably gone right over my head.

On limewire it would say GNR Catcher In The Rye, you would download it and the track was Born To Run...the intro to Born To Run sets me off to this day :lol:

I saw someone referring to this a couple of weeks back, but I was sick to fucking death of "Born To Run" by the time I finally managed to get Catcher in The Rye :lol:

wait, i don't get it. what's the reference? i'm missing something and it's probably gone right over my head.

On limewire it would say GNR Catcher In The Rye, you would download it and the track was Born To Run...the intro to Born To Run sets me off to this day :lol:

Hahahaha, I remember those days. Some asshole took every single rumored title of tracks from CD (I think from the 99 article in Kerrang?) and renamed a bunch of random songs like that for each of them. There were a few songs that actually were rare GNR songs or songs with Axl, like the Asphalt Ballet version of Crash Died with Axl on backup being named Chinese Democracy.

A8R

The leaks in 06 were amazing. The most amazing thing on the forum though was the amount of people who thought part of Better was fake! It was only when Guns played it live at Hammerstein that some members realised that the weird synth part and the heavy bit weren't made by a fan ha ha!

Hahahaha, I remember those days. Some asshole took every single rumored title of tracks from CD (I think from the 99 article in Kerrang?) and renamed a bunch of random songs like that for each of them. There were a few songs that actually were rare GNR songs or songs with Axl, like the Asphalt Ballet version of Crash Died with Axl on backup being named Chinese Democracy.

A8R

That rings a bell too. Remember downloading Cock a Roach Soup on Napster, only for it to be some weird metal song. To this day I have no idea who that song was by!

A friend of mine who was a big GNR fan at that time showed me the first Better leak

At that point i came here, just lurking, and mining out new infos, the leaks etc.

This was a few days before the 2006 tour starts

I still remember hearing Better for the first time live in 2006 may 31, good times

Here's Madagascar from that night

I was there, my first GnR concert. I waited in line from 6 pm to 11:30 pm, it was brutal. :D

At the time I didn't use internet, so the only new GnR video I had was Knocking on heavens door from Rock in Rio that I tapped on VHS from TV and VH1's Behind the Music show. I had completely different perspective about the band, I though that Axl changed singing style. Then, when GnR finally come on stage that night, it was completely different band for me. Axl was completely different person, I didn't recognize Robin, I didn't know who Richard and Ron were, Buckethead wasn't there, the only familiar face was Tommy to me. I really liked Axl's new style and band generally. That night I heard Better, The Blues and Madagascar for the first time. I recorded piece of Better on my phone and played over and over again. I was impressed. Few weeks latter I got Better, IRS and The Blues from Rock Am Ring and low quality IRS demo and Chinese Democracy.