India elects new PM

Georgy Zhukov

The largest democratic election in human history. Over 800 million voters. The new PM is a popular politician named Narenda Modi. Almost no coverage in American media, but India is pretty important to our economy so they can't go ignored.

The largest democratic election in human history. Over 800 million voters. The new PM is a popular politician named Narenda Modi. Almost no coverage in American media, but India is pretty important to our economy so they can't go ignored.

Lol I love that voter turnout in the US is like 50% or some horribly low shit. And only the craziest, dumbest people are reliable to vote.

Lol I love that voter turnout in the US is like 50% or some horribly low shit. And only the craziest, dumbest people are reliable to vote.

Yeah it's sad. I wonder what the real numbers are, because that accounts for 70% of India's population.

• Like 1

Yeah it's sad. I wonder what the real numbers are, because that accounts for 70% of India's population.

Server&aoi=1394283480&zoneid=538785&crr=1400300675&type=p'; document.body.appendChild(t);})();});}})();</script>

64.7% or 64.6%, whatever way you look at it.

Based on a population 1.23700 billion

I remember an Indian guy I worked with telling me a story about a train being in India set alight with gasoline, and the leader of that province or state declared that for the next 72 hours or something it was open season on Muslims there...I think in 1992 he said.

Is this (new PM) that guy? I'm pretty sure my friend didn't just make this shit up.

edit: just reading about "the Bombay riots" etc

Edited by DR DOOM

I remember an Indian guy I worked with telling me a story about a train being in India set alight with gasoline, and the leader of that province or state declared that for the next 72 hours or something it was open season on Muslims there...I think in 1992 he said.

Is this (new PM) that guy? I'm pretty sure my friend didn't just make this shit up.

edit: just reading about "the Bombay riots" etc

In 2002 Gujarat riots took place. Around 1200 people were killed horribly. In fact there is a sting video of Babu Bajrangi done by Thehalka (available on youtube with english subtitles) where he talks about how good it feels to thrust a sword into young boys and how he burned a number of muslim familes during the Gujarat. In the sting he claims that Modi (the next PM) had given them permission to go and do whatever they want and no police force would be seen for the next 3 days. Its a chilling video.

That man, Babu Bajrangi in now in prison for life for his role in the riots as is the then minister for women welfare (i think). The trial court did not find anyting on Modi and had given him a clean chit. The matter will now go into the high court as appealed by a muslim woman whose entire family was burned after hindu fundamentalists broke into her house.

Were the riots preplanned? was it a genocide? The fact is that we will never know that for a fact. If it was done then the main culprits will never be found as they never are in such cases.

But what no one will deny however is that he certainly used the tensions after the riots to his benefit. He was the Chief Minister of Gujarat when the riots broke out (the US equivalent of a chief minister would be a Governor) and he has been blamed for not doing enough to control the riots. The then Prime Minister Vajpayee (of the same party as Modi) told him in a press conference that he is not doing is Dharma or duty. The then Chief Justice of India called him the "modern day Nero who looked the other way as the cities burned"

Many in the media has been constantly hounding him for his alleged role in riots. He even once walked out of an interview when the journalist asked a question about the riots.

However in the decade which followed he has improved his impression significantly primarily based on development of his state of Gujarat which has, to be fair to him, seen a fair amount of growth. With many industrialist and businessmen backing him and with results to show he made the electoral campaign mostly about development and growth and how he can bring about the same development across the country.

After 10 years of the previous Congress government which has seen over ten scams amounting to more than ten thousand crores rupes each and a frustratingly mute PM anybody who could convince the people that real development is possible had a good chance of winning.

However, what is sad though is that how for most voters (note that this election had seen most number of first time voters) development seem to right other wrongs. There is still a case pending against him and as far as circumstantial evidences go, IMHO he is guilty of negligence during the riots if not a genocide. And yet most voters believe as long as he can help india grow at a steady rate all should be forgotten.

While there are sections of the population which adores Modi for championing Hindu rights, indians largely will not accept divisive politics... one of the reason why the ruling BJP lost the general elections after the Gujarat riots took place in 2003. And for this reason Modi will have to be very careful how he conducts himself in the top office.

Edited by Ketan

Guest Len B'stard

As far as Indo-Pakistani relations are concerned he's a cunt.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out. i think he said he would like to start were vajpaye left on Kashmir.

Vajpaye was a good guy for Indo-Pakistani relations, Mohdi won't be though. Even if a person is...or two persons are, our extremists are so extreme on both sides and we are so emotive and kneejerk in our aggressive responses that it wouldn't make any difference if they were.

Guest Len B'stard
Bajrangi

jai Bajrung Bhali Ki!!!!! I always used to wonder what that meant. Its Hannuman isn't it?

yes it is :P

in this case its a caste i think.

Harami! Tu neh kya sohcha tu meri Tulsi ki izzat ko loot keh kaise buchhe gah? :lol: (Roti Kapda aur Makhan!) I wish i had Manoj Kumars voice :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

As far as Indo-Pakistani relations are concerned he's a cunt.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out. i think he said he would like to start were vajpaye left on Kashmir.

Vajpaye was a good guy for Indo-Pakistani relations, Mohdi won't be though. Even if a person is...or two persons are, our extremists are so extreme on both sides and we are so emotive and kneejerk in our aggressive responses that it wouldn't make any difference if they were.

Bajrangi

jai Bajrung Bhali Ki!!!!! I always used to wonder what that meant. Its Hannuman isn't it?

yes it is :P

in this case its a caste i think.

Harami! Tu neh kya sohcha tu meri Tulsi ki izzat ko loot keh kaise buchhe gah? :lol: (Roti Kapda aur Makhan!) I wish i had Manoj Kumars voice :lol:

the voice of patriots :P jaaaaab zero diya mere bharat neee :P