The Assassin's Creed Unity Thread

I spoke to soon, the patch made performance considerably worse. Like it's not even fucking playable now. I even turned it down from Very High to High - did nothing. Now I'm pissed.

i have been putting off getting it due to the reviews and the videos of how buggy this is.

I loaded it up again later last night, it was better, but still quite annoying at times. Ubisoft is getting an angry call from me Monday when their customer service lines open, I don't care if the person I speak to can't do anything about it, someone needs to hear my grievance!

• Like 1

I spoke to soon, the patch made performance considerably worse. Like it's not even fucking playable now. I even turned it down from Very High to High - did nothing. Now I'm pissed.

i have been putting off getting it due to the reviews and the videos of how buggy this is.

I loaded it up again later last night, it was better, but still quite annoying at times. Ubisoft is getting an angry call from me Monday when their customer service lines open, I don't care if the person I speak to can't do anything about it, someone needs to hear my grievance!

I think I have to upgrade my GFX card :(. Probably going to get a Sapphire R9 290, will have to wait a few weeks to get the cash though. So do I put AC on hold and wait until then????? I guess I have MIddle-Earth and some Skyrim to hold me over. Damn Ubisoft.

man that sucks. i want to play it but i only can get it for PC, i dont have a ps4 or xbox one, so im just going to wait until they fix whatever issues they need to work out.

The performance requirements aren't really ever going to get better. The glitches might, but that's about it. They may be able to optimize performance, but not to the degree where it would matter for hardware, at least that's what I think.

man that sucks. i want to play it but i only can get it for PC, i dont have a ps4 or xbox one, so im just going to wait until they fix whatever issues they need to work out.

The performance requirements aren't really ever going to get better. The glitches might, but that's about it. They may be able to optimize performance, but not to the degree where it would matter for hardware, at least that's what I think.

then i should just try and get it for the ps4. i plan on picking one up before february for when the witcher 3 releases. plus the new dragon age game is keeping me plenty busy.

Edited by bran

This pains me to say but: don't buy it. Just don't, especially if you're planning on playing on PC. If you have 3 R9's or a GTX 970, great, go for it. If not, you're wasting your time. Each patch they release makes stability and performance worse, and barely scratches the surface at fixing the litany of bugs in the game.

This pains me to say but: don't buy it. Just don't, especially if you're planning on playing on PC. If you have 3 R9's or a GTX 970, great, go for it. If not, you're wasting your time. Each patch they release makes stability and performance worse, and barely scratches the surface at fixing the litany of bugs in the game.

damn that sucks, from everything i read it doesnt run for shit on the xbox one or ps4 either.

How does this compare to Black Flag? Should I try to get it for Christmas?

If you forget all of the performance and stability issues, it's a really great game. There's some great new features: co-op missions are cool, new mission types like solving murders in a detective style, very customizable character in terms of weapons, and looks. The side missions feel story related so it doesn't feel like you're wasting time. The story is good, nothing amazing, but it's not bad. The game looks visually pretty on par with Black Flag, maybe a bit better in some areas.

The combat took some getting used to. I didn't like it at first, but I sort of do now. It's harder, and a bit less "kill everything in 5 seconds" than Black Flag/III was. Still lots of bugs with the combat, and I'm noticing there aren't as many kill moves as usual.

If you forget about the performance/stability issues, I give the game a solid 8/10. Maybe 8.5 when all is said an done when I'd finish it.

But sadly, with the issues, for me at least on PC, I'd give it a 5.5/10. Maybe could be talked into a 6 if their fucking patches actually helped, but they don't, each patch makes the game more unplayable. :shrugs:

EDIT: Right, and your second question. If you can get a holiday deal and pay like $30-$40, yeah I guess, but in retrospect I wish I hadn't spent my $60 on this. I'd rather have waited a few months for the price to go down to play it, than to get it immediately only to have it crash all the time, lag, and be generally glitchy.

Edited by OmarBradley

• 3 months later...

alright time to resurrect this thread :lol: i picked this game up a couple of days ago but first a little back story.....

a little while back i bought a new graphics card(and power supply) for my pc i bought a xfx radeon r9 290x for the witcher 3 when it comes out. so i was finishing some games up to start unity and my card just died..... of course being pissed off i get a hold of the people i ordered my card from get in contact with some other people and after a whole day affair i will be getting my replacement soon(have to send this hunk of shit back)

so i have my old card in now and i have played unity for about 6 hours or so. i am currently running with a amd fx 6300 6 core, over clocked at 4.0 ghz with a r9 270 graphics card 8 gigs of ram. i run the game on high at 900p with some custom settings(mostly lowering shadows) the game runs relatively smooth but then for some reason at random times it decides to piss in your cheerios and hit 15 fps for some reason, but honestly it is weird how it happens i went today an hour or so before a dip like that but yesterday it was within 20 minutes.

the game itself is a lot of fun the new combat system is pretty cool, having multiple enemies attack and not give away when they will attack definitely makes things much more tricky and engaging, and the side stuff is pretty cool as well, the murder mysteries are a blast to solve. the amount of customization is also great. so the game is definitely keeping my interest and some of the frame rate issues and weird bugs do annoy me from time to time the game itself is still fun to play.

alright time to resurrect this thread :lol: i picked this game up a couple of days ago but first a little back story.....

a little while back i bought a new graphics card(and power supply) for my pc i bought a xfx radeon r9 290x for the witcher 3 when it comes out. so i was finishing some games up to start unity and my card just died..... of course being pissed off i get a hold of the people i ordered my card from get in contact with some other people and after a whole day affair i will be getting my replacement soon(have to send this hunk of shit back)

so i have my old card in now and i have played unity for about 6 hours or so. i am currently running with a amd fx 6300 6 core, over clocked at 4.0 ghz with a r9 270 graphics card 8 gigs of ram. i run the game on high at 900p with some custom settings(mostly lowering shadows) the game runs relatively smooth but then for some reason at random times it decides to piss in your cheerios and hit 15 fps for some reason, but honestly it is weird how it happens i went today an hour or so before a dip like that but yesterday it was within 20 minutes.

the game itself is a lot of fun the new combat system is pretty cool, having multiple enemies attack and not give away when they will attack definitely makes things much more tricky and engaging, and the side stuff is pretty cool as well, the murder mysteries are a blast to solve. the amount of customization is also great. so the game is definitely keeping my interest and some of the frame rate issues and weird bugs do annoy me from time to time the game itself is still fun to play.

NEVER XFX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate my current card (HD 7970 Black), and their customer service sucks. The card's cooling sucks, and it had to have both fans replaced. My next card (which I will be getting for W3) will be either MSI or Sapphire. I may jump ship to NVIDIA, but we'll see. Looking at the 290X now as well. Ironically, XFX makes great power supplies, so I'll likely get one of those.

My card is pretty much the same as the 270 actually, so we should be having roughly similiar experiences, 8G RAM too, though I've only got a puny 4 core processor. It was odd with AC:Unity, I started the game running on High/Very High all the way through sequence 3/4. Then out of nowhere, massive performance issues began (crashing, rubberbanding, textures flickering, you name it), I don't know if it was related to some of the patches they released, or just coincidence.

I found the game to start out very interesting: good story, some cool kill moves/parkour, a few cool new features to the series, etc.. But by about sequence 6/7, I was bored/disinterested in the story, the combat seemed to be the worst since AC: I, and I had to take it down to Medium settings get it to run stable. I'm currently on sequence 9, haven't touched the game in months... I will finish it, when I feel like it. But knowing the few spoilers that I do, there's really not much incentive to finish the game. It's more like a chore to me at this point to finish, I am ashamed at what this game has done to the AC series. I will not be buying the next flagship release right off the shelves, and if I see that it's anything like Unity, I likely won't be buying it at all. May buy Rogue when it gets to ~$30 or so, but no more than that.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

yeah i might see if i can get credit from the store instead and then have them send me a sapphire, because this shit was ridiculous. now im worried about the performance of unity going forward :lol: i thought the somewhat good performance was due to all the patching, i just made it to sequence 4 last night.

Edited by bran

yeah i might see if i can get credit from the store instead and then have them send me a sapphire, because this shit was ridiculous. now im worried about the performance of unity going forward :lol: i thought the somewhat good performance was due to all the patching, i just made it to sequence 4 last night.

Lol, don't meant to make you nervous. I think my issues were just my bad luck, and I've had cooling issues with my case for a while anyway, AC: Unity just made it a lot worse. Don't get me wrong, the game is enjoyable, but I got sick of the tech issues + the other things I noted.

I'll try to finish by the time you do, so we can collectively bash it.

This is gonna be $20 next week. I loved Black Flag, but hated 3. Is this worth picking up? The story has all but lost me, but game play is still typically fun.

i can only speak for the PC version, im on sequence 5 it is running somewhat decent but has major frame drops at weird times and the game is quite buggy, you will be walking and have someone literally pop into view as your walking bumping into him, you will get stuck on objects a lot and unable to move etc. the game itself has a lot to do and is quite fun but performance issues and bugs will frustrate no doubt.

This is gonna be $20 next week. I loved Black Flag, but hated 3. Is this worth picking up? The story has all but lost me, but game play is still typically fun.

Eh, for $20 I guess so.

i would have hated to see what this game was like unpatched. the game the further i go is getting more unstable, yesterday i did a mission that required stealing some items from some monks the girl i got the mission from then disappeared when i needed to turn the mission in the green marker pointed at the floor and she was gone. i fast traveled out and came back and she was against the wall near the door, her textures were flickering like crazy and i couldnt turn the item in, so i fast traveled out and cameback and was finally able to turn it in. i also ended up getting stuck in a cinematic slow down so i had to exit the game and comeback in. im starting to see what you were talking about yesterday, the game is still running rather smoothly in terms of framerate still but you still get the weird dip in frames out of nowhere for some reason. also some of the textures in this game are fugly.

Edited by bran

Eh, for $20 I guess so.

i would have hated to see what this game was like unpatched. the game the further i go is getting more unstable, yesterday i did a mission that required stealing some items from some monks the girl i got the mission from then disappeared when i needed to turn the mission in the green marker pointed at the floor and she was gone. i fast traveled out and came back and she was against the wall near the door, her textures were flickering like crazy and i couldnt turn the item in, so i fast traveled out and cameback and was finally able to turn it in. i also ended up getting stuck in a cinematic slow down so i had to exit the game and comeback in. im starting to see what you were talking about yesterday, the game is still running rather smoothly in terms of framerate still but you still get the weird dip in frames out of nowhere for some reason. also some of the textures in this game are fugly.

Yeah... for whatever reason, it gets worse as you get further in. I definitely had a few missions where I couldn't finish, and even fast travelling didn't work - I had to do the missions from the beginning. The flickering thing happened quite a bit for me, especially during cinematics. And yeah, even on high/very high settings, some of the textures are like "wtf?" The vines/trees come to mind from what I remember.

knocking down the shadow setting definitely helped performance, i can now put the game on ultra high and it runs vastly better and you really dont know notice the difference in shadows really. i found my first side mission i couldnt finish( a cafe mission) and i also seen a guy go flying into the air for the first time :lol:

knocking down the shadow setting definitely helped performance, i can now put the game on ultra high and it runs vastly better and you really dont know notice the difference in shadows really. i found my first side mission i couldnt finish( a cafe mission) and i also seen a guy go flying into the air for the first time :lol:

I don't recall if I changed that setting at all, will have to check. I can say though I have not had the pleasure of witnessing a flying guy yet :(.

• Like 1

ok so with omar's advice i was able to get credit through the store and will be getting a sapphire r9 290x instead of a xfx, it also saved me about 90 dollars as well so i still have 90 dollars credit from where i ordered my card at, so thanks a bunch for that.

as for unity i have been doing a lot of side stuff and iam currently on sequence 7. i have big time love/hate thing going for this game right now, i have a lot of fun and then all of a sudden the game will start to run like dogshit, sometimes i can play 2 or so hours without a hitch running at about 30-35 fps sometimes 40. then sometimes you play 10 minutes and the framerate will drop to 15-17 fps, it especially hits hard when you go to your cafe to retrieve money i had a dip in there at about 8 fps.

the game is starting to get real glitchy, today i got stuck in the ground and it looked like arno was trying to swim and i ended up just dying for some reason. the flying people are more common as well, and last night i had the "hair pop glitch" where in cut scenes the hair will keep popping up from the peoples heads, which in all honesty did make me laugh.

ok now im fucking pissed, sequence 7 memory 3 is completely glitched, i have read online for supposed solutions but nothing seems to fix it supposedly it was patched but my game is fully patched and the fucking thing still wont work. now i understand why i should have never picked this hunk of shit up even on sale as it was, seriously fuck ubisoft on this one.

I'm playing PS4, not had any major issues. The console fan goes into overdrive during cutscenes and menus, but other than a couple of split graphics or NPCs appearing in the middle of cutscenes it's been absolutely fine.

I'm playing PS4, not had any major issues. The console fan goes into overdrive during cutscenes and menus, but other than a couple of split graphics or NPCs appearing in the middle of cutscenes it's been absolutely fine.

it seems the consoles fared better than the pc version, the game is one of my favorite AC games from a gameplay standpoint but its a mess on pc and thats with all the patches.