History channel's World Wars

Georgy Zhukov

Anyone else watch this? Man, I wonder who they hired to do their search? They might as well get their info off wikipedia, at least they got it right.

Roosevelt worried about Stalin being a murdering tyrant? Sorry, Roosevelt was oblivious to that. Churchill was the one who worried. What do you expect from a populous network?

Yes, Roosevelt was fairly soft with Stalin as he was desperate for The Soviets to declare war on Japan. Also Britain had a different set of priorities considering we entered the war for Poland and had the exiled Polish government, the 'London Poles'.

Churchill wanted to retake Yugoslavia, Greece and Poland before the Russians could. The problem was that the Germans could have easily diverted their forces and hold them off. Invading Normandy forced them to fight on two fronts far apart which made supply difficult.

Churchill and Roosevelt needed Stalin period. He had the numbers, the brilliant generals and since he is an autocrat, people are not likely to oust him. Stalin was very unpredictable, he would have been open to a temporary peace with Hitler so he can take the time to defeat the Allies who were democratic powers and defeats would have caused people to dislike the war.

Normandy put an end to that. The Invasion itself was a moral booster and possibly the most impressive victory of all was the Falaise Pocket which lead to somewhere between 50,000 and 100,000 German killed and captured. Bagration was two or three times as much but still pretty good. It was over for the Germans after that. I wonder how they kept Hurtgen Forest under wraps? Probably the second most bloody American battle ever fought next to the Meuse-Argonne of 1918.

I've never gotten a chance to finish it. I think have watched the first half of it. Interesting how Hitler began his conquests from being a lowly corporal who conned his way to getting an Iron Cross first class, went on to take over a insignificant political party, then the Reitchstag, then finally pretty much every single key position such as Chancellor, President and Chief of military. I think at one point he even went for Field Marshal. Conquered most of Europe (his brilliant generals cannot go unmentioned) and nearly brought the Soviet Union to his knees.

I've never gotten a chance to finish it. I think have watched the first half of it. Interesting how Hitler began his conquests from being a lowly corporal who conned his way to getting an Iron Cross first class, went on to take over a insignificant political party, then the Reitchstag, then finally pretty much every single key position such as Chancellor, President and Chief of military. I think at one point he even went for Field Marshal. Conquered most of Europe (his brilliant generals cannot go unmentioned) and nearly brought the Soviet Union to his knees.

He was a dispatch runner. Despite what some have claimed, his was not a cushy job behind the front. He was wounded twice, at the Somme, and during the 100 days offensive, and received the Iron Cross, Second and First Classes.

He was wounded twice by artillery if I can recall correctly. Second Class is what anyone in the service can receive but if you kiss enough ass, you can get the First Class. Being a runner may involve high risk, but during World War I the higher ranking officers typically serve at the rear and even if he did went to the front, it would be in relatively safety. Not like he went into No-Man's Land or behind enemy lines.

I disagree. True he was not front line, but it was not like a cushy staff appointment either. Dispatch runners were expected to keep alive the communication channels between the front line and HQ. It was a job which necessitated some proximity to the frontline. The fact he was wounded twice, once by shrapnel, next, by Mustard Gas, speaks volumes.

Hitler may have been the most loathsome individual ever born, but he was not a coward.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I can watch Ken Burns on Netflix. Must check him out.

if your a fan of baseball you must check out his documentary "baseball" from 1994 i think it was. he has some other great ones on prohibition, the dust bowl and world war II.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...