The Origin of GnR songs : '85 - '93

Hi all

I am interested in the origin of the GnR songs from the 85 to 93 era. By this I mean what riffs and songs influenced the ones written by GnR. Please note, I am not detracting fro GnR's songwriting prowess with this discussion- I am a lifelong fan, and it's commonly accepted that lots of songwriting is done by riffing around other songs. So I don't intend for a discussion about originality as such, I'm just wondering if anyone has info or theories about where the GnR songs were developed from. I will give you some examples so you know what I mean. :

Used To Love Her: This is pretty obviously a reworking of Rolling Stones' 'Dead Flowers' ; I think this is pretty much undisputed. Very similar in sound and structure, and were sometimes played one after another live.

You're Crazy: I've heard it suggested that the original acoustic is a reworking of The Who's 'The Seeker'. They do sound very similar, and Axl's opening lyrics about "looking for" stuff are similar to Daltrey's lyrics about looking everywhere for something, in The Who song. So I think that's plausible.

Double Talkin'Jive: When they played this live they often begin by playing a segment of Metallica's 'Welcome Home' (sanitarium) but it's not clear to me if the DTJ riff has a root in that song. The acoustic end bit of DTJ is pretty much identical to Pink Floyd's 'A Spanish Piece'. Although that is a very generic flamenco piece I think.

Paradise City: The chunky verse parts of PC are apparently a sped up version of the riff from Black Sabbath's "Zero The Hero'. It has the same sort of key transition too. That's an interesting comparison to listen to if you haven't before.

Rocket Queen: Duff said the groove originates in him and Adler jamming to Cameo, (!) and that 'Word Up' was a song they like to play along to. It may sound dubious that these two songs are related, but actually if you experiment by singing the vocal to 'Rocket Queen' over "Word Up" it actually fits quite well ! similar key changes again.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts and if you have any speculation on the origin/root of other GnR songs please let us know!

Edited by Nice Boy
  • Like 1

Yeah, it was in Tony Iommy book, about PC. "Zero The Hero" is f awesome. And PC is ZTH's crazy child.

"I thought "Zero The Hero" was a good track, and apparently I'm not the only one who likes it. When I heard "Paradise City" by Guns N' Roses I tought, fucking hell, that sounds like one of ours! Somebody also suggested that the Beastie Boys might have borrowed the riff for "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)" from our song "Hot Line". If it's true let's sue them. We won't play any more; we'll just make money from lawsuits! But needless to say we didn't sue!"

Yeah, it was in Tony Iommy book, about PC. "Zero The Hero" is f awesome. And PC is ZTH's crazy child.

"I thought "Zero The Hero" was a good track, and apparently I'm not the only one who likes it. When I heard "Paradise City" by Guns N' Roses I tought, fucking hell, that sounds like one of ours! Somebody also suggested that the Beastie Boys might have borrowed the riff for "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)" from our song "Hot Line". If it's true let's sue them. We won't play any more; we'll just make money from lawsuits! But needless to say we didn't sue!"

Take notes Axl!