Evolve

• 3 weeks later...

this game is everything that this wrong with modern gaming.

Yup.

Shame, because the concept is cool.

the concept is awesome, the game could have been stellar, but they were more interested in nickel and diming you to death instead of building on a cool concept and making a great game.

this game is everything that this wrong with modern gaming.

Yup.

Shame, because the concept is cool.

the concept is awesome, the game could have been stellar, but they were more interested in nickel and diming you to death instead of building on a cool concept and making a great game.

Gamers only have themselves to blame, though, if they keep paying for this shit developers will keep milking them. I went into a video game store the other month and saw at least 3 editions of COD: Advanced Warfare. The most expensive one was about £100. Are there really that many rich kids who buy this shit? I sure hope adults don't fall for that crap, no matter how much money they've got to burn.

This is a good discussion topic: post release DLC. Up until a few years ago... DLC (if any was to happen) was expected to be free, it was part of the ~$60 you paid for the game. I find that a lot of modern games have less content (story length mainly) than games from 5-10 years ago, and to compensate it seemed like developers were doing DLC post release. But somewhere along the way, they decided to charge for it - my guess is they saw games like Knight Online, and a bunch of others that I don't remember, where you could play completely for free, but if you wanted you could spend $ on more items/in game money/quests. Hell, LOTRO (which I and many other people fucking preordered) went from a $15/month format to completely free with a "game store" after about a year or two of release. Which brings us to the issue of monthly subscription fees for MMO's, though that's a different issue (I commend Guild Wars).

Anyway, I think the charging of $30+ for DLC is bullshit, most of the DLC I've paid for has not been worth it, and as a result, I haven't bought DLC since ACIII. Play Battliefield? Want the newest maps/guns? Gotta get a premium pass (no idea how much they are now, they started at $50, I've seen specials at $30). Pretty sure Skyrim had some DLC that cost money too.

While I was researching The Witcher, deciding whether or not to make it my next RPG, I saw an article where one of the executives from the game's development company basically said ,"Yeah charging for DLC is bullshit, we're not doing that." And so far, I don't think they have charged for any of their DLC.

EDIT: Right, and as for the topic, never heard of Evolve until now. Whoops. :lol:

Surprised there isn't a topic for this game yet. Looks promising and different. Anyone plan on getting it? I've got enough credit for a free game on PSN and I'm trying to decide if I should get this or Dying Light, or wait and see how The Order and Bloodborn are.

I heard The Order received lackluster reviews, didn't live up to the hype. No idea though, just what I heard from a gamer friend. I don't really keep up with console stuff anymore.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

Developers aren't gonna stop saying no to people handing over money.

I still can't believe people paid $3 for horse armour. And that looks reasonable now in today's DLC-ridden world.

I've never owned a Nintendo console but the Wii U is the most appealing to me of this generation because of games like Bayonetta, Splatoon, and Nintendo's first-party content. I like FPSes as much as the next guy but I also like variety in games. Sunset Overdrive looks cool for the Xbone but I can't think of any other reason I'd buy that console. And the main attraction on the PS4 for me is the remastered versions of PS3 games that I never played like Last of Us.

tl;dr: pls release Shenmue III for PS4 kthxbai

• Like 1

Surprised there isn't a topic for this game yet. Looks promising and different. Anyone plan on getting it? I've got enough credit for a free game on PSN and I'm trying to decide if I should get this or Dying Light, or wait and see how The Order and Bloodborn are.

I heard The Order received lackluster reviews, didn't live up to the hype. No idea though, just what I heard from a gamer friend. I don't really keep up with console stuff anymore.

It did, but I think people's biggest issue with it is the lack of gameplay time, as well as quick-time events throughout. I haven't played it but my uncle has it and has good things to say about it. Regardless, doesn't sound like a game that'll get my money, though.

This is a good discussion topic: post release DLC. Up until a few years ago... DLC (if any was to happen) was expected to be free, it was part of the ~$60 you paid for the game. I find that a lot of modern games have less content (story length mainly) than games from 5-10 years ago, and to compensate it seemed like developers were doing DLC post release. But somewhere along the way, they decided to charge for it - my guess is they saw games like Knight Online, and a bunch of others that I don't remember, where you could play completely for free, but if you wanted you could spend $ on more items/in game money/quests. Hell, LOTRO (which I and many other people fucking preordered) went from a $15/month format to completely free with a "game store" after about a year or two of release. Which brings us to the issue of monthly subscription fees for MMO's, though that's a different issue (I commend Guild Wars).

Anyway, I think the charging of $30+ for DLC is bullshit, most of the DLC I've paid for has not been worth it, and as a result, I haven't bought DLC since ACIII. Play Battliefield? Want the newest maps/guns? Gotta get a premium pass (no idea how much they are now, they started at $50, I've seen specials at $30). Pretty sure Skyrim had some DLC that cost money too.

While I was researching The Witcher, deciding whether or not to make it my next RPG, I saw an article where one of the executives from the game's development company basically said ,"Yeah charging for DLC is bullshit, we're not doing that." And so far, I don't think they have charged for any of their DLC.

EDIT: Right, and as for the topic, never heard of Evolve until now. Whoops. :lol:

cd projekt red is a special kind of developer, they actually give a fuck about the players that buy their games and the players have a kind of loyalty to the developer. they are one of the few developers going today where when they say something the players give them the benefit of the doubt and take their word as gospel.

“We love games. We love collecting them, playing them, and everything connected to that experience. Every time we reach out for a new release, we expect to be taken care of. We expect support if we encounter any problems, we love updates constantly improving the experience, and we feel really special when we receive free content that gives us more than we initially paid for. It doesn’t have to be huge, it can be an awesome skin for a character, or an extra sword, or armor.
Unfortunately this treatment is quite rare these days. As gamers, we nowadays have to hold on tight to our wallets, as surprisingly right after release, lots of tiny pieces of tempting content materialize with a steep price tag attached. Haven’t we just paid a lot of cash for a brand new game?
As CD PROJEKT RED, we strongly believe this is not the way it should work and, with The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, we have decided to do it differently. Cutting to the chase, everyone who buys Wild Hunt will receive 16 specially prepared DLCs absolutely for free, regardless of platform. You don’t have to pre-order, you don’t have to buy any special edition to get them — if you own a copy of Wild Hunt, they’re yours. This is our way of saying thank you for buying our game.”
Regards,
Marcin

they did this with the past 2 witcher games as well, where they just released their dlc with a patch absolutely free of charge for those who bought the game. now all these games like evolve and destiny are doing is gutting the fucking game down to the absolute bare bones and then piecemealing the content out as dlc, content that was already planned for the game and was just stripped away. the worst of all this shit is the "on disc dlc" content that was already put into your game that they lock off for another 10 or 15 dollars(capcom loves doing this). some of this is just jacking up the price of the game 10 or 20 dollars without slapping a 70 or 80 dollar price tag on the game, as we saw with the huge backlash the occurred when games went from 50 dollars to 60 dollars with the xbox 360 and ps3 to compensate for increased cost to make games. others are doing it just for greed, to get kids who use their parents credit cards or moronic adults who don't know they are being had and go for this shit, hook line and sinker. dlc that bethesda does(outside of the fucking horse armor) doesnt bother me all that much. bloodmoon, tribunal, shivering isles, dragonborn gave me the bang for my buck and gave me content that matched the cost.

they did this with the past 2 witcher games as well, where they just released their dlc with a patch absolutely free of charge for those who bought the game. now all these games like evolve and destiny are doing is gutting the fucking game down to the absolute bare bones and then piecemealing the content out as dlc, content that was already planned for the game and was just stripped away. the worst of all this shit is the "on disc dlc" content that was already put into your game that they lock off for another 10 or 15 dollars(capcom loves doing this). some of this is just jacking up the price of the game 10 or 20 dollars without slapping a 70 or 80 dollar price tag on the game, as we saw with the huge backlash the occurred when games went from 50 dollars to 60 dollars with the xbox 360 and ps3 to compensate for increased cost to make games. others are doing it just for greed, to get kids who use their parents credit cards or moronic adults who don't know they are being had and go for this shit, hook line and sinker. dlc that bethesda does(outside of the fucking horse armor) doesnt bother me all that much. bloodmoon, tribunal, shivering isles, dragonborn gave me the bang for my buck and gave me content that matched the cost.

Monolith just released DLC for Middle Earth, for $9.99, not terrible, still haven't decided whether I'll get it. What does piss me off though, at least for the PC version, they sent the fucking DLC to all of our computers and installed it, but locked it.... taking up an additional x amount of gigabytes on OUR computers, saying we have to send them money to access it! Why not have the download be after purchase?

Monolith just released DLC for Middle Earth, for $9.99, not terrible, still haven't decided whether I'll get it. What does piss me off though, at least for the PC version, they sent the fucking DLC to all of our computers and installed it, but locked it.... taking up an additional x amount of gigabytes on OUR computers, saying we have to send them money to access it! Why not have the download be after purchase?

yeah thats bullshit.

• 3 weeks later...

It did, but I think people's biggest issue with it is the lack of gameplay time, as well as quick-time events throughout. I haven't played it but my uncle has it and has good things to say about it. Regardless, doesn't sound like a game that'll get my money, though.

Having now played The Order (and am playing it), I think it's great. Some of the best graphics I've ever seen, game play is relatively solid, and the quick-time events aren't even that bad, nor that plentiful. Wouldn't bother me either way.