my short films

Jabberwocky

Soap Scum looks like the kind of film that Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis Toole would be watching on their 8mm projector!

How long have you been making short films, Jabberwocky? It seems like a lot of hard work, just to do something filmed in a small space, and that's not to mention the effects, prep-time etc.

• Like 1

I write screenplays. In fact i blagged my way onto a degree course for Film using a screenplay for a short film based on one of Freuds case studies without having A levels. Fucked the course off though so bit of a waste of time really!

I really like em Jabber! Got a touch of Kenneth Anger about em. Soap Scum looks like a shape-shifting minge!

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

Soap Scum looks like the kind of film that Henry Lee Lucas and Ottis Toole would be watching on their 8mm projector!

How long have you been making short films, Jabberwocky? It seems like a lot of hard work, just to do something filmed in a small space, and that's not to mention the effects, prep-time etc.

That's a new one LOL. I was just wanting to do something psychedelic with Soap Scum. The first short film I did (Hearts Are Always Killed - Chapter One) was back in 2006/2007 and was orginally a Alternate Reality Game so I it was divided into different parts like a puzzle piece. The game quickly fizzled out because it was too weird/difficult. One player I talked to after I quit the game said "this is something I'd rather watch than play" That film was done on a 40 dollar Sakar camera. But I just sat on it for almost a decade before I decided to re-edit it to tell a slightly different story which lead to wanting to do a second chapter. So in essence it's been maybe a year since I started bearing down to do short films again.

I do everything all by myself because it's all in my head of what I want it to look like. Nothing is written down. It took about 3 nights to do the new Hearts chapter. Editing is the bigger obstacle than the acting, setting up shots, etc. Some of the effects are effects I do with Sony Vegas Pro and some are practical effects. All I know is everybody I have shown the new Hearts short to tell me it really creeps them out, that the longer it lasts it just keeps filling them with dread, they feel clausterphobic. I have so many ideas in my head, most disconnected, that I want to see how far I can push the Hearts series. Each chapter being around 13 minutes long.

I write screenplays. In fact i blagged my way onto a degree course for Film using a screenplay for a short film based on one of Freuds case studies without having A levels. Fucked the course off though so bit of a waste of time really!

I really like em Jabber! Got a touch of Kenneth Anger about em. Soap Scum looks like a shape-shifting minge!

Thanks man. I've never written a screenplay, just short stories, and I have had zero formal training. In writing, film, and my music. I try not to imitate anybody but I've gotten different comparisons to other directors like Anger, Lynch, Waters, etc. Some I know of and some I don't. It's all cool with me in the end really. I made Soap Scum as a visual art piece to make it look like the image is being projected on the shower curtain.

Edited by Jabberwocky
  • Like 1