Our Interview with Jimmy Ashhurst (Izzy Stradlin & Ju Ju Hounds, Broken Homes, Buckcherry)

Genuinely intersting and engaging guy. Great stories. Listening now and that Rolling Stones story is hilarious. Seems like Izzy might possibly have been wondering about playing with Ashhurst as early as 89?

Another great episode so far!

PS: he looks like Christopher Guest, which is awesome to see a real life Nigel Tufnel, lol!

Edited by soon
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, soon said:

Genuinely intersting and engaging guy. Great stories. Listening now and that Rolling Stones story is hilarious. Seems like Izzy might possibly have been wondering about playing with Ashhurst as early as 89?

Another great episode so far!

PS: he looks like Christopher Guest, which is awesome to see a real life Nigel Tufnel, lol!

Thanks man! Jimmy was great, i could've talked to him for another 2 hours. I love his story about axl in 2000 at the club with gilby. 

3 minutes ago, sidman69 said:

Thanks man! Jimmy was great, i could've talked to him for another 2 hours. I love his story about axl in 2000 at the club with gilby. 

Yeah, that story is incredible!  What are the odds of that?  Very cool.  I actually never took stock of how that Dead Flowers performance referenced both Gilby and Izzy given Ashhursts involvement.

Hope you can talk to him again.  I personally found his cynical and rebellious perspective, that really came out in the second half of interview, to be incredibly refreshing.  Plus great stories and insights.  I just finished the podcast a few minutes ago and he's got me kinda feeling that rock n roll spirit.

• Like 1

Good interview!

Interesting perspective from a guy who was sort of on the periphery of rock stardom. I appreciate how honest he was about the business.  

I wish more would be written about the Sunset Strip scene in the late 70's and 80's- that scene took over the whole world for a while.

We'll never get Izzy's reasons for abandoning the Ju Ju Hounds the way he did (or Izzy's reasons for anything, really), and I don't think Jimmy ever talked with him again, but he sort of answered obliquely in this interview- they just weren't that successful.  Too much work, for no real reward- at least on Izzy's part.  Jimmy seemed pretty destroyed by the way it ended , which is sad.

• Like 3

Nice interview. Jimmy is a great bass player and seems like a cool guy and I agree the Ju Ju Hounds thing is sad. I know Charlie was pretty upset about that too. I love Izzy but it's not right what he did leaving those guys in the lurch like that.  

• Like 1

On 5/16/2018 at 2:40 PM, bigpoop said:

Nice interview. Jimmy is a great bass player and seems like a cool guy and I agree the Ju Ju Hounds thing is sad. I know Charlie was pretty upset about that too. I love Izzy but it's not right what he did leaving those guys in the lurch like that.  

yeah it's sad that the band ended with such an abrupt ending and no explanation

Really enjoyed the interview, good job :headbang:Particularly liked that you kept pressing him about the songwriting process of the Ju Ju Hounds, you seemed to rephrase the same question 3 times and each time he gave up a little more insight :D

I'd love to hear Izzy, Rick and Jimmy collaborate again. It wouldn't be the Ju Ju Hounds without Charlie's signature sound, but Taz is a phenomenal drummer and for fans it would be interesting to hear how the band dynamic changes.