Has Axl lost his piano chops?

I doubt he has lost his abilities. 

Although contrasting a modern bootleg to a 1993 era bootleg I do notice that it seems like he has simplified (and also sped up)  the arrangement somewhat. 

Could be any number of reasons why...but one of them might be that in the UYI era NR was a current hit (in terms of it's release - I know it was composed earlier) and a real showcase song..it's was almost the epitome of how UYI moved GNR from a pure guitar band to a wider sound incorporating some of Axl's other influences. 

Now it's an old love song he's played thousands of times, that they are kinda obliged to play on any given night or fans would notice it's absence.  It might be that he doesn't feel it needs the importance it used to have and is just doing a minimalist version  - much like how on some nights he clearly seems to 'protect' his voice more than others where he seems inspired to go for broke vocally. 

I guess he could have lost skill, but I think it's more likely he just isn't pushing himself quite as much to be honest.

• Like 1

He's likely out of practice, but still good enough where he can perform those solo spots like Layla during shows.  Maybe he's been wanting to belt out The Asshole Song during a show these past few years, but can't fit it into the bill :P Dizzy picks up the rest of the slack