GNR Vinyl Record Question

chicago appetite

hello to all, my wife picked up uyi 2 from a record store while on vacation with some of her friends.  its not an original pressing, as it looks immaculate.  i also have a lies lp that i got from a friend about 20yrs ago.  i am not sure how to tell when these lps were produced either.

my question for you guys is if any of the gnr reissued vinyls are good?  im brand new to vinyl and getting ready to buy a turntable so i just wanna know if i should stay away from any reissued vinyl from gnr specifically.  im sure the lps that have come with the appetite and the new uyi box sets are good though.  i am not sure how to tell when these lps were produced either.  

anyone have experience with any gnr lps?

2 hours ago, chicago appetite said:

hello to all, my wife picked up uyi 2 from a record store while on vacation with some of her friends.  its not an original pressing, as it looks immaculate.  i also have a lies lp that i got from a friend about 20yrs ago.  i am not sure how to tell when these lps were produced either.

my question for you guys is if any of the gnr reissued vinyls are good?  im brand new to vinyl and getting ready to buy a turntable so i just wanna know if i should stay away from any reissued vinyl from gnr specifically.  im sure the lps that have come with the appetite and the new uyi box sets are good though.  i am not sure how to tell when these lps were produced either.  

anyone have experience with any gnr lps?

The "back to black" ones are fine, I'd recommend that 2008 pressing of AFD over the 2018 remastered version (I haven't heard the 2022 UYI albums yet).

Discogs will usually give you all the info you want about when your copies were pressed, but if your copy of Lies says "wife beating has been around for 10,000 years" and "ladies, welcome to the dark ages" on the cover it's from '88.

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The "back to black" ones are fine, I'd recommend that 2008 pressing of AFD over the 2018 remastered version (I haven't heard the 2022 UYI albums yet).

Discogs will usually give you all the info you want about when your copies were pressed, but if your copy of Lies says "wife beating has been around for 10,000 years" and "ladies, welcome to the dark ages" on the cover it's from '88.

Hey there, what do you mean by “back to black one”?  

I just checked and I don’t see any of what you said on my lies lp, I’m super bummed now.  I was hoping it was an original pressing 

If it says "elephant gives birth to midget" on the front artwork it's a later pressing.   Earlier pressings say "Ladies, welcome to the dark ages."

Also, some overseas copies apparently have the chick's nipples uncensored on the inner sleeve, but the puritan Americans can't handle nips so there's a big black bar across them.

You gotta check the bar codes and matrix etchings to be sure of what you've got.  Matrix etchings are the numbers and codes (sometimes phrases) that are etched right into the vinyl nearest the center hole.

1 hour ago, estrangedtwat said:

If it says "elephant gives birth to midget" on the front artwork it's a later pressing.   Earlier pressings say "Ladies, welcome to the dark ages."

Also, some overseas copies apparently have the chick's nipples uncensored on the inner sleeve, but the puritan Americans can't handle nips so there's a big black bar across them.

You gotta check the bar codes and matrix etchings to be sure of what you've got.  Matrix etchings are the numbers and codes (sometimes phrases) that are etched right into the vinyl nearest the center hole.

I have the nipples shown on the inside sleeve but unfortunately the cover doesn’t have the original words that you mentioned.