Bigger than the band

Bono

Angus Young IS AC/DC

Would anyone say Eddie Van Halen? A lot of my friends didn't even know Van Halen was a band. They thought it was all about Eddie.

Thats really annoying because I like Bon,Brian and Malcom better!

And I like Cliff better - but it still doesn't change what I said.

Consider it - If Angus quit AC/DC, then the band would cease to exist. If any of the other members left, (with the exception of Mal) then there would still be a small possibility of the band continuing.

Angus is irreplaceable. It's not about his musical talent - he's the very image of the band. Go watch the Stiff Upper Lip DVD. You'll see exactly what I mean. All the "themed" set pieces are to do with Angus. No mention of Mal or Brian.

On the side - Could you imagine how great it would be if next tour MAl stepped up to the front and kicked out a huge solo? What a sight :D

did you know there was a time where Malcolm was not in AC/DC??

Back in 1988. yes, back in 1988, AC/DC was as bad as Gn'R.... only one original member... Angus. Brian- replaced Bon, Cliff- replaced Mark, Stevie- replaced Malcolm, Simon- replaced Phil.

Mark Evans wasn't the original bassist for AC/DC. George Young, Neil Smith and Larry Van Kreidt were all bassists before him. However, Mark Evans was probably the first bassist they had for any decent length of time.

Phil wasn't the original drummer for AC/DC - Colin Burgess, Noel Taylor, Peter Clack, Tony Currenti and even George Young were all either session or concert drummers before Phil.

Bon wasn't the original lead vocalist - which you probably already know. Both Dave Evans and Dennis Laughlin were vocalists in AC/DC before Bon Scott.

And finally, we come to Malcolm. I was indeed aware of the fact that Malcolm wasn't in AC/DC for a brief period in 1988.

However, it was only for three months. Malcolm's nephew Stevie Young replaced him for a the duration of the US leg of the "Blow Up Your Video" Tour. It wasn't due to Malcolm wanting to leave or anything, rather, he had to spend some time in rehab because he was an alcoholic. I wouldn't really call it Malcolm leaving the band - someone just filled in for him because he was sick.

Finally - did you know that AC/DC became a 4-piece for a while in 1975? Malcolm filled in on bass on a number of occasions and George Young filled in for Bon Scott on vocals.

:) Don't treat me like I know nothing about AC/DC.

Angus Young IS AC/DC

Would anyone say Eddie Van Halen? A lot of my friends didn't even know Van Halen was a band. They thought it was all about Eddie.

Consider it - If Angus quit AC/DC, then the band would cease to exist. If any of the other members left, (with the exception of Mal) then there would still be a small possibility of the band continuing.

Angus is irreplaceable. It's not about his musical talent - he's the very image of the band. Go watch the Stiff Upper Lip DVD. You'll see exactly what I mean. All the "themed" set pieces are to do with Angus. No mention of Mal or Brian.

On the side - Could you imagine how great it would be if next tour MAl stepped up to the front and kicked out a huge solo? What a sight :D

Back in 1988. yes, back in 1988, AC/DC was as bad as Gn'R.... only one original member... Angus. Brian- replaced Bon, Cliff- replaced Mark, Stevie- replaced Malcolm, Simon- replaced Phil.

Mark Evans wasn't the original bassist for AC/DC. George Young, Neil Smith and Larry Van Kreidt were all bassists before him. However, Mark Evans was probably the first bassist they had for any decent length of time.

Phil wasn't the original drummer for AC/DC - Colin Burgess, Noel Taylor, Peter Clack, Tony Currenti and even George Young were all either session or concert drummers before Phil.

Bon wasn't the original lead vocalist - which you probably already know. Both Dave Evans and Dennis Laughlin were vocalists in AC/DC before Bon Scott.

And finally, we come to Malcolm. I was indeed aware of the fact that Malcolm wasn't in AC/DC for a brief period in 1988.

However, it was only for three months. Malcolm's nephew Stevie Young replaced him for a the duration of the US leg of the "Blow Up Your Video" Tour. It wasn't due to Malcolm wanting to leave or anything, rather, he had to spend some time in rehab because he was an alcoholic. I wouldn't really call it Malcolm leaving the band - someone just filled in for him because he was sick.

Finally - did you know that AC/DC became a 4-piece for a while in 1975? Malcolm filled in on bass on a number of occasions and George Young filled in for Bon Scott on vocals.

Dave Evans and all the other fuckers he claims to be the original AC/DC members don't count. the original lineup is the lineup in which you release albums and/or become famous, not the one you played your first two gigs with, then chucked.

i didn't bother reading anything but your first sentence or two. i knew where you were going with it. Dave Evans played for a couple months with AC/DC and has been using their name to make a living ever since.

byyour history, it could be said that AC/DC was a 4-piece. But that was very brief.

EDIT: I just said the same thing you did. like i said, i didn't bother reading it past the first sentence.

Edited by DirtyDeeds

Angus Young IS AC/DC

Dave Evans and all the other fuckers he claims to be the original AC/DC members don't count. the original lineup is the lineup in which you release albums and/or become famous, not the one you played your first two gigs with, then chucked.

i didn't bother reading anything but your first sentence or two. i knew where you were going with it. Dave Evans played for a couple months with AC/DC and has been using their name to make a living ever since.

byyour history, it could be said that AC/DC was a 4-piece. But that was very brief.

EDIT: I just said the same thing you did. like i said, i didn't bother reading it past the first sentence.

Hey man - if you'd read on, you would have seen that most of my post was about Malcolm leaving the band and not about lineup changes. What's the point of replying if you dont have the patience to read a couple of extra lines?

Anyway:

You say that i'm sticking little bits in that don't matter. But when you look at Malcolm's reasons for leaving and the small length of time he was gone, does it really matter either?

About Dave Evans - he actually recorded a couple of songs with AC/DC - they don't sound all that bad. I know what you're saying about him cashing in on the AC/DC name...His new solo album does just that. Maybe he doesn't matter all that much, but the fact is, he was an AC/DC member, no matter how significant/insignificant his role was.

Oh, and finally - next time I post something, don't be such a cocky asshat about it - I wasn't one to you. What's the point of replying to something you didn't bother reading?

Too many have stated the obvious. Solo artists who use a backing band do not count. I mean it's obvious that Avril Lavigne is bigger than her band. That's like saying Robbie Williams is bigger than his band. well yeah.

Edited by Bono

Too many have stated the obvious. Solo artists who use a backing band do not count. I mean it's obvious that Avril Lavigne is bigger than her band. That's like saying that's like saying Robbie Williams is bigger than his band. well yeah.

the real impressive thing is when a member of the backing band of a solo artist is almost as big as the solo artist. if that makes sense. For example, Randy Rhoads of Ozzy Osbourne.

Scott Weiland-STP

Eddie Vedder-Pearl Jam

I don't think someone whose band is named after them should count (eg-

The Jimi Hendrix Experience)

Also, if you were a solo artist before you were in a band (eg Prince and the New Revolution) it shouldn't count.

I think the opposite of being bigger than your band is Darius Rucker... everyone thinks his name is Hootie... that's funny.