Bigger than the band

Bono

I was watching the making of the video for My Band by D12 today and it got me to thinking who in jusic has gotten bigger than their band? Not very many come to mind of those who got bigger than the band but they're are a few who seem to have equalled the band's "bigness". here's afew I can think of

Ozzy

Bono

Axl

John Lennon

Sting

Justin Timberlake :lol:

Beyonce :rolleyes:

Those are a few and I think that only Ozzy and Sting are actually bigger than their original bands. Axl and Bono are huge but they don't insite the same response as Guns N' Roses or U2. John Lennon was by far the biggest Beatle but he's not as big as the Beatles. the other two I through in for humour sake. they aren't in bands so....

Angus Young IS AC/DC

Would anyone say Eddie Van Halen? A lot of my friends didn't even know Van Halen was a band. They thought it was all about Eddie.

nah, when I think of Van Halen, I think of David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen. Your friends are obviously retards.

Anyways, people that are bigger than their bands

Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)

Ted Nugent (Damn Yankees)

Jon Bon Jovi (Bon Jovi)

Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)

Axl Rose (Guns N' Roses)

Slash (Velvet Revolver)

Buckethead (Giant Robot)

Frank Zappa (Mothers Of Invention)

Marilyn Manson (Creepy Kids)

Sid Vicious (Sex Pistols)

Rob Halford (Judas Priest)

Diana Ross is defintely the ultimate example of someone who is bigger than their band... Sleeping with the manager (allegedly) probably helped too!

Sometimes when I come on this forum I think people forget that there is other music other than rock!

Edited by failure_to_communicate

Justin Tiberlake was in NSync, Beyonce was in Destiny's Child.

Anyway I think Jon Bon Jovi fits here. Nikki Sixx and Marlyn Manson also.

Funny that you say Nikki Sixx becasue I would definately say that Tommy Lee was and is much bigger than Nikki Sixx. Yeah Sixx wrote all the songs but Tommy was the most popular guy in Motley Crue. Whoever said Gwen Stefani was bang on. I forgot about her

dave mustaine (megadeth)

jon bon jovi (bon jovi)

george michaels :lol: (WHAM!) :lol:

Funny that you say Nikki Sixx becasue I would definately say that Tommy Lee was and is much bigger than Nikki Sixx. Yeah Sixx wrote all the songs but Tommy was the most popular guy in Motley Crue.

honestly, i dont see how anyone can say any member of motley was too big for the band at all

Angus Young IS AC/DC

Would anyone say Eddie Van Halen? A lot of my friends didn't even know Van Halen was a band. They thought it was all about Eddie.

Thats really annoying because I like Bon,Brian and Malcom better!

And I like Cliff better - but it still doesn't change what I said.

Consider it - If Angus quit AC/DC, then the band would cease to exist. If any of the other members left, (with the exception of Mal) then there would still be a small possibility of the band continuing.

Angus is irreplaceable. It's not about his musical talent - he's the very image of the band. Go watch the Stiff Upper Lip DVD. You'll see exactly what I mean. All the "themed" set pieces are to do with Angus. No mention of Mal or Brian.

On the side - Could you imagine how great it would be if next tour MAl stepped up to the front and kicked out a huge solo? What a sight :D

Angus Young IS AC/DC

Thats really annoying because I like Bon,Brian and Malcom better!

And I like Cliff better - but it still doesn't change what I said.

Consider it - If Angus quit AC/DC, then the band would cease to exist. If any of the other members left, (with the exception of Mal) then there would still be a small possibility of the band continuing.

Angus is irreplaceable. It's not about his musical talent - he's the very image of the band. Go watch the Stiff Upper Lip DVD. You'll see exactly what I mean. All the "themed" set pieces are to do with Angus. No mention of Mal or Brian.

On the side - Could you imagine how great it would be if next tour MAl stepped up to the front and kicked out a huge solo? What a sight :D

did you know there was a time where Malcolm was not in AC/DC??

Back in 1988. yes, back in 1988, AC/DC was as bad as Gn'R.... only one original member... Angus. Brian- replaced Bon, Cliff- replaced Mark, Stevie- replaced Malcolm, Simon- replaced Phil.

Edited by DirtyDeeds