Live 8 has started!

username

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched most of the show on MTV. I enjoyed Elton John, Sting, and Velvet Revolver a lot, but nothing was better than the Pink Floyd reunion. I got pretty emotional during that.

Plus, Natalie Portman was there. Aside from Pink Floyd, that was the best part! :wub:

I thought VRs performance improved as it went on. Slither and Fall To Pieces were great live, but DIFTK was terrible. The sound just seemed to drown out in places. But overall I thought they (Scott included) did a pretty good job.

i enjoyed the show, its a shame reporters have such harsh critics to bands like VR, they werent espectacular, but they weren't one of the events "low" lights,but ofcourse they couldnt be a "High" light, the crowd didn't know them, and scott looked pretty funny but had some sort of style, but overall i enjoyed their show, its actually a pitty they are bashed by their pasts, but whatever

loved everything to do with the show, exept mariah carey, never did, never will like her, McCartneys finale with Hey Jude was truly amazing, and durin the Pink Floyd show, when Waters sang to Gilmours wish you were here soloe, i actually got pretty emotional, greatest bands of all time, almost forgot, the who was pretty amazing, just a little question...Will there be some kind of DVD Release?

is there gonna be rebroadcasts or no?

i can't find where or when

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I heard that for most of the day tomorrow, VH1Classic is going to be re-broadcasting "The performers from Live8 that are most geared to their audience" which means you get to cut out all the crap and just see Paul McCartney, U2, Sting, The Who, Pink Floyd, Jon Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, etc...

Edited by DirtyDeeds

i enjoyed the show, its a shame reporters have such harsh critics to bands like VR, they werent espectacular, but they weren't one of the events "low" lights,but ofcourse they couldnt be a "High" light, the crowd didn't know them, and scott looked pretty funny but had some sort of style, but overall i enjoyed their show, its actually a pitty they are bashed by their pasts, but whatever

loved everything to do with the show, exept mariah carey, never did, never will like her, McCartneys finale with Hey Jude was truly amazing, and durin the Pink Floyd show, when Waters sang to Gilmours wish you were here soloe, i actually got pretty emotional, greatest bands of all time, almost forgot, the who was pretty amazing, just a little question...Will there be some kind of DVD Release?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes scheduled for September i believe :)

I finally got back.

I have so many great bands to see at my video, Pink Floyd The Who, Robby Williams (I don't really care for his songs, but he is great life). I will have a great sunday :) .

And VR rocked tonight. They were one of my personal highlights.

Edited by vr1981

No offence to any fans of these bands, but Pink Floyd's performance made all other bands look like a joke (except The Who)

I mean, how could you compare Floyd's performance to Destiny's Child or Mariah Carey, you can't its impossible.

Floyd make REAL music, you could feel it.

lol i have a feeling that theres gonna be a big wave of young Floyd fans after that gig.

Yeah,it was an amazing event!!!

although i missed some parts, i enjoyed it very much. i watched some rebroadcasts until 4 o'clock at night...i saw PF, Robbie Williams, VR...everything which was important.

Great event, great idea, and hopefully great results for the people in africa.

The stars rated by the bbc:

Sir Paul McCartney and U2: One of the most super of supergroups of all time, and Sergeant Pepper was a suitable opening, even if the song has dated a bit. 9/10 for wow factor.

U2: They still have so much passion that it was impossible not to get swept up in their blockbuster anthems. They had the park singing and clapping and set the tone for the day. 10/10

Coldplay: Powerful and popular. The peak of their rousing set came when Richard Ashcroft came on for a rendition of Bittersweet Symphony. But they are not ready take over U2's mantle as biggest band in world quite yet. 8/10

Sir Elton John: Posing and pouting at every opportunity, he was another to prove that the veterans can still outperform younger rivals. He wheeled out a couple of classics before being joined by Pete Doherty who, with his gothic get-up and dazed look, resembled Adam Ant at the first Live Aid. 10/10 for Elton, 5/10 for Pete.

Dido/Youssou N'Dour: Youssou stole the show from Dido during their spot together. She may have the hits, but he has more charisma and a more haunting voice. Their duet of 7 Seconds was warmly received. 7/10

Stereophonics: : They may be too cool to show much emotion, but Stereophonics rock in a Rod Stewart kind of way. The crowd responded better to things with some oomph and they went down well. 7/10

REM: It was arms in the air time as heart-wrenching song Everybody Hurts had the crowd spellbound. Michael Stipe's eerie blue face paint and freaky dancing sent a collective tingle through the whole crowd. 9/10

Ms Dynamite: She buried any suspicions of tokenism with an emotional rendition of Redemption Song. 6/10

Keane: They may be nice boys with nice songs, but Keane can sure belt 'em out. They are about as rock 'n' roll as you can be without a guitarist, and imposed themselves with a big presence. 8/10

Travis: Fran Healy's affable bonhomie and catchy hits caught the mood, and they did not even make it rain when they sang Why Does It Always Rain on Me? The brave version of Staying Alive must have been for a bet - but kind of worked. 8/10

Bob Geldof: Despite promising not to play, he could not resist. He suddenly reverted back to straggly, straining old rock star - but the crowd was generous. 5/10

Annie Lennox: Despite having been out of the spotlight for a while, she was another veteran to show the young stars a thing or two. Starting with a poignant version of Why?, she ended with a storming performance of Eurythmics classic Sweet Dreams. 8/10

UB40: Their appearance seemed like an attempt to represent multi-cultural Britain, but was a good soundtrack for a trip to the toilet or burger stall. 6/10

Snoop Dogg: He raised the temperature with a racy rendition of his hip-hop hits and got one of the most energetic responses of the concert so far. Fans were waving their hands in the air like they just didn't care. 9/10

Razorlight: This band grabbed the chance to shine on a world stage with their upbeat rock tunes and singer Johnny Borrell's theatrical antics. He jumped off the stage and ripped his shirt off - he has learnt the lessons of 1985. 9/10

Madonna: She's not the queen of pop for nothing. During Music, she got everyone clapping in unison the way Freddie Mercury did in 1985. This will be remembered as one of the Live 8 moments, with the crowd desperate to worship her regal presence. 10/10

Snow Patrol: Another band with good songs - but little of the power or passion this crowd really needed. 7/10

The Killers: This white-suited band went to so much trouble for just one song. But the Vegas electro-pop kings made good use of their time. 7/10

Joss Stone: She took to the stage barefoot and sang with a confidence that belies her age. Her trademark vocals soared, and she lifted the crowd as it entered the seventh hour of the concert. 8/10

Scissor Sisters: They put on a fun spectacle and evoked the spirit of the '80s with their unashamedly spangly pop. They spoilt it a little by playing a new song at the end - it was good, but we just wanted the hits. 8/10

Velvet Revolver: They kept the metal fans happy, but let's face it, they're weren't many of those. The rest of the crowd were rather bemused by the high-voltage heavy rock and amount of leather. 6/10

Sting: Another old pro proved to be a crowd-pleaser. He rallied fans with favourites like Every Breath You Take. 9/10

Mariah Carey: She may have thought she was bringing some glamour to the show with her micro-dress and personal water carrier, but it just came across as ego. As such, she got short shrift from the crowd. 5/10

Robbie Williams: He had the fans in the palm of his hand, making a triumphant return to the stage with a set that had everyone joining in. The crowd would not have minded if he had stayed on all night. 10/10

The Who: Classic bombastic brilliance from a band who refuse to slow down. With Roger Daltrey flinging his microphone around and Pete Townshend wrestling his guitar, they were on top form. 9/10

Pink Floyd: If there was one historic musical moment, this was it - the reconciliation of Dave Gilmour and Roger Waters. They looked like they had never been away and the sublime magnificence of their songs swept across the audience. 10/10

Sir Paul McCartney: He opened and closed the show, the biggest name on a day of legends. And he lived up to his billing, belting out a couple of rockier Beatles classics before settling down at the piano for The Long and Winding Road and the finale, Hey Jude. 10/10

Floyd blew me away. I thought that VR were far better than people gave them credit. R.e.m were great as well. Did anybody notice how hopeless the London crowd were?! They didnt move for the who and i could barely here them singing during hey jude. I suppose it was made up of a bunch of plebs who were just waiting for Robbie Williams to come on and no appreciation for diversity or sophistication