Fellow Guitarists

Im bored, i want to know what other poeple are learning, because ive got my guitar in my lap and learning the Solos to Iron Maiden - The Trooper, i've got the rest of the song down pat. I've also almost can play Metallica - The Four Horsemen without much of a hick-up, and i also learnt Slayer - Reign in Blood the other week.

Me and my mate have a Thrash band, so thats genre of most of the songs i been learning as of late.

What about you guys?

PS: doesn't have to be guitar, could be any other instrument :P

Guest katie

I'm playing girl afraid by the smiths on guitar, violin i'm learning some modern baroque-ish peace and i want to learn a rush and a push on piano

Im bored, i want to know what other poeple are learning, because ive got my guitar in my lap and learning the Solos to Iron Maiden - The Trooper, i've got the rest of the song down pat.  I've also almost can play Metallica - The Four Horsemen without much of a hick-up, and i also learnt Slayer - Reign in Blood the other week.

Me and my mate have a Thrash band, so thats genre of most of the songs i been learning as of late.

What about you guys?

PS: doesn't have to be guitar, could be any other instrument  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That maiden solo is fun to play. Enjoy it when you learn it. Im learning more theory than songs

if its cemetry gates by the smiths its a doddle when you get into it :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wish it was by The Smiths, then I could handle it. Its the Pantera song and has a lot of pinched harmonics. But if I get the backing track to Comfortably Numb, I'll play that instead.

Guest katie
QUOTE(katie @ Aug 7 2005, 12:48 PM)

if its cemetry gates by the smiths its a doddle when you get into it

I wish it was by The Smiths, then I could handle it. Its the Pantera song and has a lot of pinched harmonics. But if I get the backing track to Comfortably Numb, I'll play that instead.

haha, well keep going pantera are ace

QUOTE(katie @ Aug 7 2005, 12:48 PM)

if its cemetry gates by the smiths its a doddle when you get into it

haha, well keep going pantera are ace

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Knowing my luck when I play it for my Higher exam, a string will break during the first solo.

Funny you should mention "The Trooper", I've been on that one too.

Also Holy Wars and Tornado of Souls by Megadeth. Some other bits here and there,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah the next song i got lined up to learn is Peace Sells, i can also play Angry Again, Megadeth songs are so fun to play.

Oh and for people wanting to learn DO IT! you'll love it, sure it takes hard work, but it's worth it. I've only been teaching myself for less than a year and cos i have stuck at it im progessing quite well.

Also a really great program i use to learn is called "Guitar Pro" you could proberly download a cracked version some where, then go to www.mysongbook.com and download the midi tracks. The program will play all the parts of the song in midi and also of the Tab.

Also Holy Wars and Tornado of Souls by Megadeth. Some other bits here and there,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah the next song i got lined up to learn is Peace Sells, i can also play Angry Again, Megadeth songs are so fun to play.

Oh and for people wanting to learn DO IT! you'll love it, sure it takes hard work, but it's worth it. I've only been teaching myself for less than a year and cos i have stuck at it im progessing quite well.

Also a really great program i use to learn is called "Guitar Pro" you could proberly download a cracked version some where, then go to www.mysongbook.com and download the midi tracks. The program will play all the parts of the song in midi and also of the Tab.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm working on the solos in "Always on the run", "Nightrain", "November rain", "Don't cry" and "Mr. Brownstone". Easy songs, except from some parts of the solos! And the problem is that I hate to learn solos down to the singel note. I'm more of a improv-fan :P But some solos are just untouchable!

Johnezz: Do you have any recordings? Would be cool to hear! I've played since january (ca. same as you..?), and it would be great to hear how you're getting along! I'm quite satisfied with my own progression, but there is maaany things that should be better! Most of all, I stink at theory! But it'll get better. I hope :P

If you wanna hear my recordings just take a quick search. I've spammed this section of the forum with too many recordings :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm working on the solos in "Always on the run", "Nightrain", "November rain", "Don't cry" and "Mr. Brownstone". Easy songs, except from some parts of the solos! And the problem is that I hate to learn solos down to the singel note. I'm more of a improv-fan :P But some solos are just untouchable!

Johnezz: Do you have any recordings? Would be cool to hear! I've played since january (ca. same as you..?), and it would be great to hear how you're getting along! I'm quite satisfied with my own progression, but there is maaany things that should be better! Most of all, I stink at theory! But it'll get better. I hope :P

If you wanna hear my recordings just take a quick search. I've spammed this section of the forum with too many recordings :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dude, I don't know if you should listen to me, but I would suggest that you DON'T get into theory. Your improv outro solo for Paradise City was pretty good, and especially good for not knowing theories/scales.

I think that it would be best for a man to be "one with the guitar." What I mean is, he learns what sounds good. Theory is what sometimes stops a player from being creative. I'm not saying theory is bad, but, you shouldn't push yourself to it, since it seems like you already have somewhat of a "feel" for the guitar.

I don't really know what I am talking about, so you should probably just ignore what I said.

PB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey mate, yeah i'd be happy to make some recordings, although i dont have any good recording programs, can you suggest any that i could download?

Oh and don't listern to the other guy, you NEED to know your scales and modes, its very important if you want to know how to write good songs and improvise (to improvise you'll need to know Jazz modes etc) there are plenty of sites that have pictures of where scales are on fretboards etc, just google.

Out of interest, what guitar and amp do you have. I'm running on the bare minimum, Squier Strat into a Cube 15 Watt. I have no effects pedals. Believe it or not at the moment im about to build my very own guitar, lol ive done alot of reseach, if you want i'll take pics of my progress and post them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey mate, yeah i'd be happy to make some recordings, although i dont have any good recording programs, can you suggest any that i could download?

Oh and don't listern to the other guy, you NEED to know your scales and modes, its very important if you want to know how to write good songs and improvise (to improvise you'll need to know Jazz modes etc) there are plenty of sites that have pictures of where scales are on fretboards etc, just google.

Out of interest, what guitar and amp do you have. I'm running on the bare minimum, Squier Strat into a Cube 15 Watt. I have no effects pedals. Believe it or not at the moment im about to build my very own guitar, lol ive done alot of reseach, if you want i'll take pics of my progress and post them?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, I agree with both of you. But I'll probably take the time to learn some theory, and then I'll see if I get any good out of it :)

I will recommend Guitar Tracks Pro 3. Superb program for recording and editing! I've used that on all of my recordings, and it works great!

I have Epiphone Les Paul Custom and Marshall MG100DFX. Works for me!

It would be very cool to see picture of your project!! :D Please post them!

Dude, I don't know if you should listen to me, but I would suggest that you DON'T get into theory. Your improv outro solo for Paradise City was pretty good, and especially good for not knowing theories/scales.

I think that it would be best for a man to be "one with the guitar." What I mean is, he learns what sounds good. Theory is what sometimes stops a player from being creative. I'm not saying theory is bad, but, you shouldn't push yourself to it, since it seems like you already have somewhat of a "feel" for the guitar.

I don't really know what I am talking about, so you should probably just ignore what I said.

PB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's good to know at least some theory, even if it is only the bare minimum. But I do understand what you mean about impeding creativity. When I first started learning theory, I tried to apply it to EVERYTHING. And that's not good. You also have to get the feel of the music. I'm not against learning theory, but people have to take it for what it is: Theory. It's not music law. Real music comes from the soul, not the textbook.

PB

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's good to know at least some theory, even if it is only the bare minimum. But I do understand what you mean about impeding creativity. When I first started learning theory, I tried to apply it to EVERYTHING. And that's not good. You also have to get the feel of the music. I'm not against learning theory, but people have to take it for what it is: Theory. It's not music law. Real music comes from the soul, not the textbook.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's pretty much what I was tryin' to say.

I mean, theory IS good. IT helps a lot with what scales go with what progressions, and it helps for writing your own music, too. But sometimes, people think too hard about what scale, and they never think outside the box.

But I, myself, have just started getting into theory, and it's pretty sweet from what I've learned.

I just started with stairway to heaven. It's the song I always wanted to learn but I've never had the patience for. but this time I'm going to learn the whole thing  B)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah yes, it's a beauty, perfect for the times when theres a guitar handy and someone says oh could you play us... Everyone knows Stairway, and it's great for getting girls on your side :P . I only know the melody, never got around to learning the solo lol :D